I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

O Pink
M-A Thambar-M CS f/6.3  ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Particularly intriguing! Throwing the hammer--one doesn't want to be unsuspecting, downfield. Particularly, sunbathing in the park. Another masterful gesture of the photograph capturing the implied, the hammer; it's about what is not seen but what implores reconstruction of what isn't there. Catastrophe, as Barthes would allow. This is so Michelangelo Antonioni, the park, the green grass, as he would want it painted, Blow Up! And the dark shadows of the hedge, just beyond the bright yellow flower field. Perfect cover for a murderer. Catastrophe. But, I go on. Not before I give a nod to the blur of the hammer thrower doing overtime, suggesting motion and emphasizing the illusion of depth, at the same time. And, such power, dark, timeless power, hurling that ancient, unseen weapon. Yes, one of those photographs that comes with a faint warning: observer, be wary.

Good show!

Thank you so much, Rog. I'm glad it wasn't just me who saw the antonioni-ness of this scene. It's interesting that you pick up on the implied hammer - in fact the hammer did happen to be actually missing, stolen by some recalcitrant fools as usual. It is periodically replaced, then stolen again.🤯 Or perhaps the statue does release the hammer himself, by dead of night under cover of darkness. In which case sunbathers are still pretty safe - but lurking would-be midnight ramblers beware!

I'm enjoying the curious mix of thambar and adox color implosion in conjunction with your minimalist compositions. Strangeness everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leica M6 - Summicron 2/35 - yellow filter - FP4 - Microphen

On 8/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, A miller said:

Southeast corner of the Fulton Station Subway Station, NYC

Tri-X, SWC (handheld)

SWC..hand held...now you're talking! 

• Like 1

Late day sun and clouds just after one of those quick passing thunderstorms.

[

2019-08-04-00010-2 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

• Bessa III 667W
  • Tri-X pushed 1 stop in HC-110(B)@ 20c
  • 022 Yellow Filter
  • Nikon LS-9000
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elevator Diptych
M-A Thambar-M CS f/4.5 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15

On 8/23/2019 at 2:05 AM, Nowhereman said:

One of the few photos I've taken with the closeup goggles of the DR Summicron, this photo is now the most popular one on my Instagram feed. It is also in my book project, which will be presented at Offprint Paris 2019 at the École des Beaux Arts, held concurrently with Paris Photo, 7-10 November 2019. 

The book has been a long voyage and recently I've lucked out in getting together in a collaboration with what I call the Hollander Dream Team, comprising the most prize-winning designer of contemporary photo books, a hand bookbinder and a lithographer — as you can read in my LUF threadPhotobook Publishing and its Discontents. The foregoing link takes you to a post about the collaboration, but you can go to the first post in the thread if you want to read about the whole grueling process on deciding on whether and how to publish a photo book.

Leica M6 | DR Summicron 50 with closeup range goggles | Neopan 1600

Hua Hin

In amongst an almost constant stream of great photographs, this is a really great photograph.

Contrast, intensity, texture and depth are truly palpable. It is no wonder this is the most popular photo on your instagram feed. Any perceived superiority of digital image capture is utter rubbish when something with this much life and intensity is achievable with film. Well done. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:39 AM, blueskyoveraquatic said:

Kodak Ektar 100 - Contax G1 + CZ 45mm f/2

Huntington Beach Southside by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

Sorry for the off-topic, in case you like a fish dinner, my recommendation would be the restaurant "Duke's" at the landing point of this pier.

Stefan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The two-propeller steam-engine "Schaarhörn" was commissioned as a steam yacht , err sounding vessel, by the Senate of the city of Hamburg in 1908.

Leica M6, actually my last roll of Kodachrome. I Iiked the deep blacks and permanency of this film, while the colours could be difficult, especially when scanning.

Stefan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman

I don't think I've posted this photo before. Taken with the M6 and the Summicron 35v4 on Agfa Scala, it's another image in my photobook that will be presented at Offprint Paris 2019, held on 7-10 November at the École des Beaux Arts. You can see a simulation of a section of the book in this LUF thread, here. (The link is to a post on the collaborative effort in designing the book, and the PDF simulation is in the post a little further down, in post #118.) 

The image below was taken at Sop Kai, Mae Taeng, in Chiang Mai Province of Thailand.

Edited by Nowhereman

Rural - This Soligor 35/3.5 LTM is not too bad. I think eventually I'll end up buying also a Summaron LTM.

Leica M6, Soligor 35/3.5 LTM, Trix

20190822-DSC03455 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 13

Lattice
M-A Thambar-M CS f/2.8 ADOX Color Implosion
Hanapepe, Kauai

• Like 12

Minox III, Acros 100

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Proto
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS 4.5 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman
On 8/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, Mute-on said:

In amongst an almost constant stream of great photographs, this is a really great photograph.

Contrast, intensity, texture and depth are truly palpable. It is no wonder this is the most popular photo on your instagram feed. Any perceived superiority of digital image capture is utter rubbish when something with this much life and intensity is achievable with film. Well done. 

Mute-on - Thanks for the kind words, and for not being mute on this. What you wrote made me think about the image below, which is from a hugely underdeveloped negative. Stand developing with Rodinal of several rolls at the same time, the lab used a tank that was too small to hold the amount of diluted developer (1+100) needed. That meant that the amount of developer was much less than the minimum 3.5g/roll. The result was an extremely thin negative that could not have been rescued in the darkroom. Processing the scanned negative in Lightroom was difficult: even moving of gradation sliders by 1 unit had a huge effect. Somehow, at one point everything snapped together in the result below, essentially an example of the contingent nature film.

This image is also in my photobook that will be presented at Offprint Paris 2019, held on 7-10 November at the École des Beaux Arts. You can see a simulation of a section of the book in this LUF thread, here, if you scroll down a few posts.

M6 | DR Summicron | Tri-X 

Wiang Pa Pao

9 hours ago, benqui said:

Cinestill bw xx with M4 and Apo 50

Fantastic, Marc.  You’re upping the level with that lens.  There is really no stopping you now 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1