I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

At Wadi Rum - Jordan:

24814717087_2fd41f7ce2_o.jpgM7 ZM 50/2 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

39683449861_3f8b55f194_o.jpgM7 ZM 50/2 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

24814715127_a5d3b03276_o.jpgM7 ZM 50/2 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

These are wonderful, my wife and I were actually talking about visiting Jordan a couple of nights ago, I'm looking forward to more from this series.

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These are wonderful, my wife and I were actually talking about visiting Jordan a couple of nights ago, I'm looking forward to more from this series.

Thank you very much Mike! If you need any tips/recommendations, feel free to pm me.

• Like 1

Very good, Steve. Your vision is very well executed here, helped, I think, by the lack of blown highlights that one may normally expect to see in the equivalent digital image.

Very nice, Edward.  Pete gifted me a roll of the Fuji Natura 1600, which I understand is exactly the same as the Superia 1600.  I have been looking for examples of this film so your post is timely.  The colors are quite natural and seem to react pretty well to artificial light.

Scanned today:

A few shots from Bangkok.

Very nice, Edward.  Were you on your way to the Gulf of Aqaba for some sunbathing? :)  

At Wadi Rum - Jordan:

M7 ZM 50/2 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Great colors considering the lighting.  It is interesting that on the Israeli side one has to drive south another 60-90 minutes to find a good hotel.

Marriott Dead Sea resort:

• Like 2

Hi Brendan thanks for posting

the first picture is wonderful

Thank you Henry!

More excellent minimalism!

Thanks Keith!

Amazing, Brendan.  Love seeing your stuff.  Great results with the pushed HP5.  What were your thoughts regarding using this film rather than Tri-X or another film stock?

Thanks Adam!  To be honest, I find the differences between HP5 and Tri-X to be very minimal.  I recently developed a few rolls of each at 400, 800 and 1600, and after scanning and editing I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.  I usually just use whichever is more readily available at the time, but tend to lean towards HP5 when I have the option as it is usually cheaper here (though I also recently noticed that Tri-X is back to being cheaper to order from B&H).  For slower films I mostly use FP4 and I will occasionally use Delta 100 for landscapes, and am also currently testing Tmax 100 to see how it compares.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5 @ 800, D76:

38978314634_4c8344d92e_c.jpg

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, D76:

38978315734_40a6799214_c.jpg

• Like 19

Very good, Steve. Your vision is very well executed here, helped, I think, by the lack of blown highlights that one may normally expect to see in the equivalent digital image.

Very nice, Edward. Pete gifted me a roll of the Fuji Natura 1600, which I understand is exactly the same as the Superia 1600. I have been looking for examples of this film so your post is timely. The colors are quite natural and seem to react pretty well to artificial light.

Very nice, Edward. Were you on your way to the Gulf of Aqaba for some sunbathing? :)

Great colors considering the lighting. It is interesting that on the Israeli side one has to drive south another 60-90 minutes to find a good hotel.

Thank you very much for the comments Adam!

I shot 3 rolls of the Natura version, and this is my first Superia roll since I restarted shooting film. My impression is that the Natura is less grainy, more like Portra 800, but has lower color saturation. I could be wrong since I shot them under different conditions but that’s what I believe so far.

As for Aqaba, I stayed 5 days in Jordan, the farthest south I went was Wadi Rum. I have more than enough sun and sea in Thailand so that’s not exactly what I was looking for :D

The last shot I think was at 1/8 of a second, quite dim corridor. There were quite a few 5 star hotels on that strip. I was curious to see what was on the other side but the weather was very foggy so vision was limited to a few hundred meters :)

• Like 1

Thank you Henry!

Thanks Keith!

Thanks Adam! To be honest, I find the differences between HP5 and Tri-X to be very minimal. I recently developed a few rolls of each at 400, 800 and 1600, and after scanning and editing I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. I usually just use whichever is more readily available at the time, but tend to lean towards HP5 when I have the option as it is usually cheaper here (though I also recently noticed that Tri-X is back to being cheaper to order from B&H). For slower films I mostly use FP4 and I will occasionally use Delta 100 for landscapes, and am also currently testing Tmax 100 to see how it compares.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5 @ 800, D76:

38978314634_4c8344d92e_c.jpg

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, D76:

38978315734_40a6799214_c.jpg

Beautiful photos as usual Brendan, but the second one is awesome!

Selfie...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP, 35, Color Implosion, ns

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 16

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Very nice, Edward.  I especially love this third one.  It is an amazing vista view that puts everything in context.

Roman amphitheatre, Amman.

M7 ZM 35/2.8 Portra 160 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M7 ZM 25/2.8 Portra 160 by edward karaa, on Flickr

27910408839_8b37852d24_o.jpgM7 ZM 25/2.8 Portra 160 by edward karaa, on Flickr

• Like 1