I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One last post, the buildings in this older city were amazing, especially for us, where this sort of architecture is unknown, our country is so "young".

The intricate craftsmanship so wonderful to study.

Ghent

Leicaflex SL

35 Summicron R

XP-2

Plustek 8100

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

I've been shooting a bunch of slide film and it's definitely a learning experience. They look absolutely brilliant on a light table under a loupe but I am struggling to get a good scan, I need to keep experimenting. 

I think this is Provia 100F

The VW, being white and dominating the frame, has influenced the meter reading. If your camera has ttl centre weighted metering or you have used a reflected reading with a hand held meter, then you have placed the VW perfectly well to fool the camera or meter into underexposing. The meter pattern has seen a large area of highlight in the frame (the VW) and reacted accordingly, resulting in the 1.5 stops under exposure you have here.

Under exposing transparency film will result in often high contrast and always very dense shadows that contain no detail, as you see here. No desktop scanner has the ability to punch through those blocked shadows even if they hold slight detail.

Transparency film has a very narrow margin either side of correct exposure, as a basic rule of thumb you need to meter for the highlights and bracket your exposures. A spot meter that allows you to store and compare shadow, midtone and highlight readings is useful and then bracketing around your calculations is the usual method of obtaining correctly exposed transparencies.

Hope this helps you to understand why your VW image is underexposed and why your scanner has lost it’s battle with the shadows. :)

• Like 5

.. I agree with Steve and don't forget influence of external factors like ambient light ,infra red despite the "dark"

The VW, being white and dominating the frame, has influenced the meter reading. If your camera has ttl centre weighted metering or you have used a reflected reading with a hand held meter, then you have placed the VW perfectly well to fool the camera or meter into underexposing. The meter pattern has seen a large area of highlight in the frame (the VW) and reacted accordingly, resulting in the 1.5 stops under exposure you have here.

Under exposing transparency film will result in often high contrast and always very dense shadows that contain no detail, as you see here. No desktop scanner has the ability to punch through those blocked shadows even if they hold slight detail.

Transparency film has a very narrow margin either side of correct exposure, as a basic rule of thumb you need to meter for the highlights and bracket your exposures. A spot meter that allows you to store and compare shadow, midtone and highlight readings is useful and then bracketing around your calculations is the usual method of obtaining correctly exposed transparencies.

Hope this helps you to understand why your VW image is underexposed and why your scanner has lost it’s battle with the shadows. :)

• Like 1

One last post, the buildings in this older city were amazing, especially for us, where this sort of architecture is unknown, our country is so "young".

The intricate craftsmanship so wonderful to study.

Ghent

Leicaflex SL

35 Summicron R

XP-2

Plustek 8100

Gary

Fabulous definition Gary without the hypernet aspect of digital

even with digitalization of the scan

Thank you for posting

Henry

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gand street photos :)

Aug 2017

The city of thousand bicycles

Kodak TX400-Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

Any correction  :)  directly from scan (Tiff>Jpeg) 

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 11

Wooden bridge. Ilford Delta 400 shot at 1600.

Paul

• Like 15

All light meters are 'grey' meters, so with a spot meter I would measure the VW and increase by 1 1/2 stops as said.
  • Like 1

Absolutely agree. Almost all consumer scanners available today can't scan through the denser parts of the emulsion. I find that you need a minimum of Dmax 4 to get decent slide film scans. Don't trust the claimed Dmax because it's overstated. The Nikon coolscan scanners have a great ability to scan through dense slides. The Plustek 120 seems to be decent enough with a claimed Dmax of 4. My Reflecta/Pacific Imaging scanners are certainly not good.

details are "essential" ... they "make the photo" technically speaking , color as b&w , agree with Edward 

one scanner with a DMax at 4 is a good scanner IMO

Edited by Doc Henry

In medical humanitarian mission and by boat :)

People in the village wait for our arrival

Aug 2016

Kodak Portra 160 (dev myself in Tetenal 38°C)

Leica MP-Summicron 28 Asph

any correction needed  scan with Nikon Coolscan 5000

Best

Henry

• Like 10

In medical humanitarian mission and by boat :)

People in the village wait for our arrival

Aug 2016

Kodak Portra 160 (dev myself in Tetenal 38°C)

Leica MP-Summicron 28 Asph

any correction needed  scan with Nikon Coolscan 5000

attachicon.gifImage6hoiankp160m7lf++++1000.jpg

Best

Henry

I'm sure you were meant to be a doctor, Henry, all credit to you. Where would we be without medical science (rhetorical because I already know the answer - beginning with the letter following R and 4 letters long).
  • Like 1