Tri-X pushed a stop on GR1V Ricoh 

35794683724_72ea1be0f5_b.jpg

Untitled by JM__, on Flickr

These two last color and b&w pictures are superb JM

Thank you !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Something a little strange in this picture I submit you...

During my bike ride I took the MP and I saw an "eagle and jetline" in the same time,

at right I have a square tower plant for keeping wheat .. my camera is straight to the

sun at right.

I have this white square at right may be the reflection of the square tower ? or flare

on lens filter (UV) ? or lens ...  another advice ?

Blue sky with thin clouds that day  :)

Kodak TX400-Leica MP-35 Summicron Asph

One picture minimalist for Phil and Philip :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 8

I'm still here in scorching Israel and have been shooting mostly with my Hasselblads, the SWC and 503CW as well as my 80 planar and 250 superachromat, as well as with my 16mm tube (which I finally got the hang of!) and Mutar 2X teleconverter (which has come in handy for some tightly framed scenes that I had been wanted to capture)

Whew - that's a mouthful, and I didn't even mention the M3 and 50 DR cron that I've been shooting mostly family snaps with (my M-A and 28mm have been mostly sitting idle...)!

I trekked to the Dead Sea the past two mornings for the sunrise. Woke at 3:15am to make the 90 minute drive to the lowest point on earth and get in position for the first colors reflecting on the oily water.

The long windy roads and stars-galore night sky is a sight to see. And the sunrise? Worth how every ounce of sleep deprivation.

Here are a couple of iPhone snaps. I managed to grab some photos with each of my SWC (38mm) and 80mm and 250mm and used Provia 100F, Velvia 50 and Ektar.

Hard work for a lazy vacationer!!

I look forward to being able to shares some scans in the next month or so...

This is my 503cw and 250mm ready for some close up portraits of the salt formations...

attachicon.gifIMG_3256.JPG

Funny story on this one:  I had my camera ready to capture this scene about 10 minutes earlier when the colors were much deeper but of course we are only as strong as our weakest link and my weakest link was my phone which I left in my car about 2 minutes away, which I needed for the stopwatch.  I ran had back to the car to fetch my phone and when I returned I still had some nice colors but an elderly (and very religious) couple were poised to make use of this structure to watch the sunrise.  The man asked me to take a photo of him and his wife with his phone and I had to decline b/c I was too busy composing, leveling, exposing, ND grad filtering, etc, and I left myself with zero time to waste.  I think this pissed off his wife b/c just as I was taking my second exposure she started walking into my scene and I had to beg her to just wait 8 more seconds!!!  What a bitch!!!  So I then lost my scene and had to run to find another structure about a minute away.  I did not budget the exhaustion so early in my day!!

attachicon.gifIMG_3257.JPG

Knowing you I know this story is completely true.....Here is a good trick for the next you misplace the phone for your stop watch -- count out loud the seconds! I have learned how to match a long time ago for other reasons and once you do the difference will be too small to notice. The couple has obviously scratched you out of their will :-)!!!!!  Can't wait to see the output!

• Like 1

Henry

Maybe it is a blessing, but I am having difficulty in seeing any striking signs of inferiority in the lower priced color films, e.g. Agfa Vista, Fuji Superia, Kodak Gold, etc. While there may be differences, nothing seems less pleasant to view. I suppose there could be significant differences in level of exposure error the films will tolerate,  my incapacity to perfectly judge where exposure should be also makes it difficult for me to judge these films on that level .....What I have noticed is that the prices for the "bargain" films are slowly creeping up. It is becoming difficult to find any of them for much less than $5.00 a roll......Only the Kodak Gold remains available at a significantly lower price. When one considers that demand is one thing that drives price increases, maybe this uptick in prices portends well for the future of film. If not for the wallet. :)

we've been through discussion a while back. essentially the difference between consumer and pro brands is that the consumer brand ships "green", is designed to age for a very long time on the shelf of a retailer in all sorts of climates before being sold and used. Tolerances on pro brands is much smaller and the reason it is stored in the fridge. The "cost"  of the consumer brand is that colors aren't exactly the same from roll to roll. Perhaps not enough for you or I to notice, but art directors looking at shots to put in a magazine did. Today, with even our analog photos scanned, the software you are using on your computer (lightroom, capture one, whichever) can readily correct the differences. Personally, I use the pro versions because I prefer the color palate -- it is a matter of taste.

• Like 4

There is much to see and enjoy in this thread lately. It is interesting to see the very different approaches and I keep coming back day after day. At the moment I am eagerly awaiting some films to be processed by the lab and have to develop a roll of Silvermax soon. If one of these rolls contains something that looks like a picture, I will likely spoil some pages in here  :ph34r: As time goes by, the postman left something for me at the front door again - a sibling for my trusted M4-P. I was on the lookout for an M3 for my Cron 50 DR for some time now and just got this work horse. As it seems, all the times are working perfectly. On the downside there is some dust in the finder and the viewfinder shows the frames for 50 and 90 at the same time. The vulcanite needs a complete overhaul, but I can't decide which fancy color from Aki-Asahi will suit my new companion best. Black would be the classic choice, but I think that navy blue or green might look stunning in contrast to the chrome finish of the camera and the Cron. What do you think?

Sorry for going digital...

• Like 9

we've been through discussion a while back. essentially the difference between consumer and pro brands is that the consumer brand ships "green", is designed to age for a very long time on the shelf of a retailer in all sorts of climates before being sold and used. Tolerances on pro brands is much smaller and the reason it is stored in the fridge. The "cost"  of the consumer brand is that colors aren't exactly the same from roll to roll. Perhaps not enough for you or I to notice, but art directors looking at shots to put in a magazine did. Today, with even our analog photos scanned, the software you are using on your computer (lightroom, capture one, whichever) can readily correct the differences. Personally, I use the pro versions because I prefer the color palate -- it is a matter of taste.

I agree that pro quality film likely has level of quality exceeding that of "bargain" films. I think I see it in many of the contributions to this thread. But, alas, at my level, it is becoming pretty apparent that I am not able to consistently benefit from the higher quality. I suppose your reference to "green"- although I cannot be certain this is what you meant- is appropriate: in past, when I have been very disappointed in a result, it is generally because of an overwhelming green tint.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 3

A Chalkhill Blue (Polyommatus coridon). Portra 400 and 90 Macro Elmar-M.

36229644880_8e6fb521c5_b.jpg

This is spectacular.

I have, for the past day, become a bit preoccupied with the idea of a butterfly traveling over 100 miles in a day. It is fascinating to think of such a journey.

Best

Wayne

• Like 3

I agree that pro quality film likely has level of quality exceeding that of "bargain" films. I think I see it in many of the contributions to this thread. But, alas, at my level, it is becoming pretty apparent that I am not able to consistently benefit from the higher quality. I suppose your reference to "green"- although I cannot be certain this is what you meant- is appropriate: in past, when I have been very disappointed in a result, it is generally because of an overwhelming green tint.

Best,

Wayne

The green could be what happens but my reference was to fruit-- shipped green, turns ripe in the store long enough for produce to be sold before it turns rotten. Pro films are shipped "ripe" so there is consistency from role to role. But as I wrote, in the digital age for commercial work and even the digitizations of analog photos, this is a less meaningful distinction than it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wonderful shot!

Glad see and read you Reiner ...

apologies I abandon your so beautiful german thread of "blossom flower"

.... you are always welcome even it's film thread

may be you'll come back to film one day

Best regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Exactly Steve and Wayne ... that's why I don't correct not to distort the original picture

... I add this link

apologies because out of subject of film ... but as you said "correction"

Steve , as you said "corrected" and converted M8 color > b&w (pictures Chtibiloute)

It smells strong "correction" , distortion of the picture and distortion of human vision 

It's horrible !

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59806&start=6555

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Kodak TX400-Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

no correction in LR

Paris

Regards

Henry

• Like 12

... giving the ring to his uncle wedding  :)

I am the film photographer with another who used 2 digital Canon 5DII

The married prefer my photos in film. They said "more soul"

Kodak TX400-Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 19

From "Living Like This"

Cold and wet Sunday night in the UK's fun capital, Blackpool, Lancashire.

Like most things in our lives, life is good if you have money but if not you are at rock bottom and life is bleak.

It is a tenuous thread that we hang on to that keeps us from losing it all - it is all so easy for it to break and let us fall. It is embarrassing to worry about Leica's and lenses etc. and I think long and hard before making such images.

Not so long ago I was at a crossroads and I thought that it was all exploitative and I wouldn't raise my Leica's to this  but on balance I think that photography is a tool to lift the lid on that world which perhaps we would rather turn away and not see.

Leica M2 with 50mm Elmar F3.5 M lens.

Film is Kodak TRI-X in D76.

From "Living Like This"

Manchester UK.

Like most things in our lives, life is good if you have money but if not you are at rock bottom and life is bleak.

It is a tenuous thread that we hang on to that keeps us from losing it all - it is all so easy for it to break and let us fall. It is embarrassing to worry about Leica's and lenses etc. and I think long and hard before making such images.

Not so long ago I was at a crossroads and I thought that it was all exploitative and I wouldn't raise my Leica's to this  but on balance I think that photography is a tool to lift the lid on that world that perhaps we would rather turn away and not see.

Leica M6 with 35mm Summicron lens.

From "Living Like This"

Manchester UK - All that she owns in life in a supermarket trolley. 

Not so long ago I was at a crossroads and I thought that it was all exploitative and I wouldn't raise my Leica's to this  but on balance I think that photography is a tool to lift the lid on that world that perhaps we would rather turn away and not see.

Leica M6 with 50mm Summicron lens.

Paul, great signification and sense when I watch all these 3 pictures

I am always confronting with these situations of misery as practician and when I watch

your pictures, they touch me much ... a great subject in this world where you need

money everywhere and where you attend a crazy money race

Superb pictures Paul with deep atmosphere and film gives a plus for your series

"Living like this". I doubt you have this sentimental feeling with digital !

M6 and M2 are great cameras !

Thank you for sharing.

Great picture value

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Lovely Henry, really well done.

br

Philip

... giving the ring to his uncle wedding  :)

I am the film photographer with another who used 2 digital Canon 5DII

The married prefer my photos in film. They said "more soul"

Kodak TX400-Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

attachicon.gifImage16wedaudgarck400m7ht+++-5cr-md-1000-50.jpg

Best

Henry

• Like 1