I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

IID, 50mm 2.5 Hektor, Fuji Superia 800, shot at 400

• Like 13

IID, 50mm 2.5 Hektor, Fuji Superia 800, shot at 400

• Like 13

Super series Paul, I really enjoyed them all. Different worlds all around us.

@Ian. The colours from your walks in the countryside with your daughter are wonderful, super nice.

Some Portra 400 for Henry, what I thought of when I saw your horse-drawn picture many pages ago...

36413589166_6fcf18b26a_c.jpg

• Like 16

IID, 50mm 2.5 Hektor, Fuji Superia 800, shot at 800

• Like 12

Found a swing on the way home. Portra 400.

Ian I just had to comment on this. As I was going back over a few pages to catch up on all the new entries, this immediately brought a huge smile to my face. Just delightful.

From my project "Living Like This".

Some more from the house meeting in my hometown Bradford, UK.

Doc Henry asked me if I knew the people :-

"I walked into the mosque one Sunday afternoon and I asked the Imam if I could take some pictures. I went back over many weeks and they realised that I wasn't going to "turn them over" and they became friends and some of the most hospitable people that I have ever met. I was invited to a wedding, into a Maddrasa and then finally I was invited into their homes. Never once did anyone give me any hassle or object in any way to anything that I as doing. All people are the same the world over and religion is very important to the Pakistani community of Bradford and I tried to reflect this devotion in my photographs. They respected me and I respected them"

The pictures were taken on a Leica MP with 35mm Summicron V4 lens. The film was Kodak TRI-X pushed to about ISO 3200. I aren't really sure what the ISO was exactly as I set the camera to a 1/30th at F2 as this was just about the limit of the light and hand holdability.

The film was developed in D76 1+1 for 18 minutes. A speed increasing developer would probably have been better but I standardise on D76 and that is what I always use.

From "Living Like This"

They had travelled 200miles looking for work - no place to live just the hard streets. Still smiling through and I originally walked past them because I don't want to exploit people in this situation but the chap in the middle said "Take our picture mister". He was a bricklayer and had heard that there may be work for them. They were at pains to say that they didn't want charity they wanted to earn their way.

Sometimes we need a jolt to realise that it's just a thin strand and a few unfortunate events in life that keep us from being on the streets.

I had my little Leica 111F with me with 50mm Elmar. Film was Fomapan 400 in D76.

This is full frame and it's a bit off because I over compensated for the parrallax shift but I have left it as it was taken.

Paul - these bring a smile to my face, and heart, for an altogether different reason. Photography as a tool for teaching, learning and understanding is unparalleled. This series, taken in the classic reportage vein of Tri-x and Leica, immediately stands out as important work. And it is - very, very important. The world sometimes forgets that lives are lived outside the parameters of our own vision, and it is through work like this that that oversight can be addressed. Once understanding is achieved, even on a rudimentary level, we are free to open our hearts and minds to empathy and compassion - and eventually, as your personal experience testifies, to friendship and respect.

A wonderful project, and I always look forward to seeing more. Have you a plan to exhibit or publish - both of which I'd think would be valuable within and without your community?

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first of 5 rolls of Tri-X I managed to bash out at the weekend on the TLR. 

Just printing for these. 120 b/w is too much wasted time scanning I'm feeling more and more, and to what end really. 

Going to try sticking with scanning colour and maybe a little 35mm b/w. As it is I already have 350 x 120 b/w scans sitting in Lightroom.

Thinking 1, 3, 4 (or 5) and 6 from this one?

I'm terrible at selecting what to print. At least once it is a print, it becomes easier to judge and collate.

• Like 10

From "Living Like This"

Outside the mosque, Day of Ashura, Bradford, West Yorkshire - women wait whilst the men pray in the mosque. They wear black as a mark of respect.

Leica R6 35mm Elmarit. 

Film is Kodak TRI-X pulled 1 stop to ISO 200, developed in D76 stock.

From "Living Like This"

Outside the mosque, Day of Ashura, Bradford, West Yorkshire - women wait whilst the men pray in the mosque. They wear black as a mark of respect.

Leica M6 35mm Summicron. 

Film is Kodak TRI-X at box speed, developed in D76 stock.

Thank you Paul for these beautiful series of pictures

All are great. For me the choice of b&w film is the good choice.

It reproduces very well the atmosphere and a little dramatic side

Black and grey tones are superb in comparison with the digital aspect

It's better you continue in film with this black homogeneous and nice

to watch.

Thank you for sharing these pictures Paul

As said Phil (Stray Cat) you must print and put in a book :)

Best

Henry

• Like 3

Exactly right. Vive le film.

Thank you Michael to confirm what I notice

Look at this black unomogeneous "obstructed" (pictures Skogkatt and Usma) :

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4781&start=360

and these with edges and lines hypersharp and the rendering completely unreal

specially the last landscape picture of Robert "Petit matin ..." (leaves , trees ...)

a really synthetic image coming directly from a robot camera

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49653&start=7605

People are in ecstasy when watching .... distortion of the vision

I prefer the film aspect ... I love film

Sorry to be frank with you

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

From "Living Like This"

Day of Ashura, Bradford, West Yorkshire. Men flagellate themselves with sharp knives on chains - their backs already scarred from previous ceremonies bleed profusely. I was covered in blood spats and my Leica was almost red from it all.

Leica M6 35mm Summicron at F2. 

Film is Kodak TRI-X pushed 1 stop and developed in D76 1+1.

From "Living Like This"

They had travelled 200miles looking for work - no place to live just the hard streets. Still smiling through and I originally walked past them because I don't want to exploit people in this situation but the chap in the middle said "Take our picture mister". He was a bricklayer and had heard that there may be work for them. They were at pains to say that they didn't want charity they wanted to earn their way.

Sometimes we need a jolt to realise that it's just a thin strand and a few unfortunate events in life that keep us from being on the streets.

I had my little Leica 111F with me with 50mm Elmar. Film was Fomapan 400 in D76.

This is full frame and it's a bit off because I over compensated for the parrallax shift but I have left it as it was taken.

Paul,great you photo serie "living like this". The last photo touched me ...

Best

Gregor

• Like 1

I'm finally back in Ontario after spending the summer out west, and I just started developing my backlog of rolls.  Here's one of the first images from my new 0.85 M7.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, HC110:

36171398180_0673cba689_c.jpg
Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Congrats for your new acquisition of the M7 the fastest camera as said Raymond Depardon

You'll see a great camera Brendan and also great picture like this one

Grey tone and grains are superb

Simple and beautiful

Henry

• Like 2

From "Living Like This"

Day of Ashura, Bradford, West Yorkshire. Men flagellate themselves with sharp knives on chains - their backs already scarred from previous ceremonies bleed profusely. I was covered in blood spats and my Leica was almost red from it all.

Leica M6 35mm Summicron at F2. 

Film is Kodak TRI-X pushed 1 stop and developed in D76 1+1.

Paul another great picture well reproduced by film

Black is real black

Best

Henry

• Like 1

Super series Paul, I really enjoyed them all. Different worlds all around us.

@Ian. The colours from your walks in the countryside with your daughter are wonderful, super nice.

Some Portra 400 for Henry, what I thought of when I saw your horse-drawn picture many pages ago...

36413589166_6fcf18b26a_c.jpg

Richard great picture with nice reflection and beautiful color

Nice vanishing line ... this scene with the horse pulling out the canal-boat will be in our memory

In 2017 , no more horse ....

Nice capture

Best

Henry

• Like 2

Ian I just had to comment on this. As I was going back over a few pages to catch up on all the new entries, this immediately brought a huge smile to my face. Just delightful.

Paul - these bring a smile to my face, and heart, for an altogether different reason. Photography as a tool for teaching, learning and understanding is unparalleled. This series, taken in the classic reportage vein of Tri-x and Leica, immediately stands out as important work. And it is - very, very important. The world sometimes forgets that lives are lived outside the parameters of our own vision, and it is through work like this that that oversight can be addressed. Once understanding is achieved, even on a rudimentary level, we are free to open our hearts and minds to empathy and compassion - and eventually, as your personal experience testifies, to friendship and respect.

A wonderful project, and I always look forward to seeing more. Have you a plan to exhibit or publish - both of which I'd think would be valuable within and without your community?

Well said and good thought Phil

Regards

Henry

• Like 2

The first of 5 rolls of Tri-X I managed to bash out at the weekend on the TLR. 

Just printing for these. 120 b/w is too much wasted time scanning I'm feeling more and more, and to what end really. 

Going to try sticking with scanning colour and maybe a little 35mm b/w. As it is I already have 350 x 120 b/w scans sitting in Lightroom.

Thinking 1, 3, 4 (or 5) and 6 from this one?

I'm terrible at selecting what to print. At least once it is a print, it becomes easier to judge and collate.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender2.jpg

May be 10 in addition Richard

Good job ... I am less experience with 120

Best

Henry

Closed. 

Olympus Om1 and 50mm 1.4 Zuiko 

AgfaVista 200. 

ChinaTown _ Toronto, 2AM. yesterday, 

tumblr_oupgdstZp01vjphu4o1_1280.jpg

SP yes well seen ...light and shadow well reproduced in this picture

and you're right not corrected to keep and not to distort  the atmosphere