I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Henry,

You won't find E6 processing any harder than C-41, just more boring! The big thing about it is that the slides are very easy to scan, with no issues about colour inversion.

Rollei Crossbird in E6 (powder kit from Argentix):

28010934620_6dc7a367c4_c.jpg

Clematis by chrism229, on Flickr

Really nice color Chris

Thanks for posting

Henry

• Like 4

Thank you Henry!

I recently reacquainted myself with film after a hiatus of about 10 years. How I've missed it! I find myself now without much motivation/inspiration to pick up my digital M ;)

And yes, I love the CineStill 800T ... and their 50D film as well.

Very nice pictures. Same as me. My M240 stays now mostly at home!

• Like 3

Very nice pictures. Same as me. My M240 stays now mostly at home!

Stefan and Tytan ,I shoot with M8 and M9 color Kodak CCD sensor during 8 years

the best in digital color better than CMOS sensor ! may be for this reason I prefer

color of Kodak in film more faithful IMO ! 

One day I want to shoot again film and compare. I notice that color is not the same

and picture is flat with no consistance , hypersharp everywhere in the picture I say "no soul",

pictures have no grain at all ... you can create grain with some software...but with squarred pixels :angry:

and in some pictures artefact like moiré, banding (unhomogeneous black) specially when you converted

color in b&w or in only black, like in MM1 rent by my Leica Store.

IMO one image must be "not agressive" when watching , not coming from a "robot" camera , like in sound

when you listen a piece of music through your CD (agressive in trebble) in comparison with Vinyl discs

and specially with tubes amplifier , yes tubes of our grandfather !

For all these reasons , I say I'll stop to shoot with my digital cameras or I'll shoot less (no "shutter syndrome")

and I begin to open this thread in 2013 :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/

since that day , many contributors and good connoisseurs , who can distinguish color digital

versus color film , posted their pictures here and I am glad that this thread reachs more than

1600 pages now . :)

Thanks to All of you !

I continue to keep my digit cameras just to compare film and digital.I don't need money and I'll

sell them. For your information, I also tried for 1 month a Fuji XPro ,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Doc+Henry/?g2_page=7

and Nikon D800

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Doc+Henry/?g2_page=10

So you know now what I said about digital , I have make some tests with 2 another

digital cameras , apart from Leica 

Sincerily  if you still have some doubt ,you can return to shoot digital .... or like me just shoot

and compare with film and you'll see .

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...I had the thought about which film stock would be best at replicating these.  I also had Velvia 50 and Ektar in mind.  However, the more I think about it the more it is clear to me that the frozen motion wouldn't be achievable with such slow films, unless you had a massive amount of light, and if it was artificial light you'd need an advanced degree in lens filters to figure out the right combo of filters to use to correct the colors.  MAYBE if you pushed the Velvia 50 a stop and since you are exposing for the highlights you get an extra stop over the Ektar, which you'd need to slight ETTR.  With really good evenly lit natural light and shot fairly wide open it might be doable.  A sight I'd like to see!...

Good thinking, Adam.

A safer starting point may be to go for Fujicolour 400H, or Portra 400, although I think the saturation of Ektar and Velvia are better suited. I guess I'll have to get the flashes as close as possible. I was firing them at 1/4 power to get sufficient speed out of them to stop all motion.

• Like 3

Ok...I just printed this and I am SO THRILLED!

This is a scan of a 5x7 that I just pulled from the developing drum

If I never take another picture again as long as I live this one was worth it. This is a picture that I took while I was visiting my mom for her 86th's birthday recently. For those who don't know, she's got dementia and has a pretty short memory, not a great attitude and is difficult. The woman on the left is my sister who takes care of her.

This was taken at a restaurant we went to while we were there. My sister and mom were sharing a soda and took a drink at the same time; it was a funny moment and I caught it with my Oly Trip.
I love the colors Porta 400 got me and I love the shot for what it represents; my mom in a good moment, my sister enjoying her and we all having a good time.

I'd be happy if this was my last print.

34108697744_ede6e443f5_h.jpg

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 19

Tytan - these are fantastic! Very moody and quite mysterious.

My son James and I toured the American Southwest in 2009. He took a large format camera and I had my R8 and a bunch of lenses. We'd visited Bryce canyon earlier in the day, and decided we'd go back later in the evening when the light would be better. We were surprised to have the whole place virtually to ourselves!

p14307687-5.jpg

Bryce Canyon, Utah 2009

Leica R8, 24mm Elmarit, Ektar 100

What a testimonial to camera, lens, and photographer. It leaves wondering how the large format shot could have been better.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 4

A Graffiti picture I shot in La Rochelle, France, January 2017.

Leica IIIf, Elmar 3:5, Kodak Tri-X.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Another Graffiti shot, La Rochelle, France 2017

Leica IIIf, Kodak Tri-X

• Like 15

And finally this one. Leica IIIf, Elmar 3:5, Kodak Tri-X

• Like 14

Stefan and Tytan ,I shoot with M8 and M9 color Kodak CCD sensor during 8 years

the best in digital color better than CMOS sensor ! may be for this reason I prefer

color of Kodak in film more faithful IMO ! 

One day I want to shoot again film and compare. I notice that color is not the same

and picture is flat with no consistance , hypersharp everywhere in the picture I say "no soul",

pictures have no grain at all ... you can create grain with some software...but with squarred pixels :angry:

and in some pictures artefact like moiré, banding (unhomogeneous black) specially when you converted

color in b&w or in only black, like in MM1 rent by my Leica Store.

IMO one image must be "not agressive" when watching , not coming from a "robot" camera , like in sound

when you listen a piece of music through your CD (agressive in trebble) in comparison with Vinyl discs

and specially with tubes amplifier , yes tubes of our grandfather !

For all these reasons , I say I'll stop to shoot with my digital cameras or I'll shoot less (no "shutter syndrome")

and I begin to open this thread in 2013 :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/

since that day , many contributors and good connoisseurs , who can distinguish color digital

versus color film , posted their pictures here and I am glad that this thread reachs more than

1600 pages now . :)

Thanks to All of you !

I continue to keep my digit cameras just to compare film and digital.I don't need money and I'll

sell them. For your information, I also tried for 1 month a Fuji XPro ,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Doc+Henry/?g2_page=7

and Nikon D800

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Doc+Henry/?g2_page=10

So you know now what I said about digital , I have make some tests with 2 another

digital cameras , apart from Leica 

Sincerily  if you still have some doubt ,you can return to shoot digital .... or like me just shoot

and compare with film and you'll see .

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry for opening your thoughts about film vs digital photography.

• Like 3

Tytan - these are fantastic! Very moody and quite mysterious.

My son James and I toured the American Southwest in 2009. He took a large format camera and I had my R8 and a bunch of lenses. We'd visited Bryce canyon earlier in the day, and decided we'd go back later in the evening when the light would be better. We were surprised to have the whole place virtually to ourselves!

p14307687-5.jpg

Bryce Canyon, Utah 2009

Leica R8, 24mm Elmarit, Ektar 100

Love that!

• Like 1

Ok...I just printed this and I am SO THRILLED!

This is a scan of a 5x7 that I just pulled from the developing drum

If I never take another picture again as long as I live this one was worth it. This is a picture that I took while I was visiting my mom for her 86th's birthday recently. For those who don't know, she's got dementia and has a pretty short memory, not a great attitude and is difficult. The woman on the left is my sister who takes care of her.

This was taken at a restaurant we went to while we were there. My sister and mom were sharing a soda and took a drink at the same time; it was a funny moment and I caught it with my Oly Trip.

I love the colors Porta 400 got me and I love the shot for what it represents; my mom in a good moment, my sister enjoying her and we all having a good time.

I'd be happy if this was my last print.

34108697744_ede6e443f5_h.jpg

RP lovely picture you show us here

Your Mom is still in good health and I am glad for your family.

Alzheimer's disease is confirmed by RMI or not  ?

Thanks for posting

Yes Kodak Portra 400 has very nice color and you're right

Best

Henry

• Like 1

I just finish to develop this afternoon , one roll Kodak Portra of poppies

pictures taken today !

You like this red ?

Leica M7-Apo Summicron 90 Asph-Kodak Portra 160

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 12

RP lovely picture you show us here

Your Mom is still in good health and I am glad for your family.

Alzheimer's disease is confirmed by RMI or not  ?

Thanks for posting

Yes Kodak Portra 400 has very nice color and you're right

Best

Henry

Doc, yes, it's confirmed. Apparently she has "vascular dementia" and not Alzheimer's. I guess they won't clean her veins out because they aren't quite plugged enough or she's too old, I'm not sure of the case. I guess in her case her brain isn't getting enough oxygen.

• Like 1