I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To contrast against Henry's and others wonderful wintry scenes here's a sunset from France last summer. I know sunsets are pretty silly to photograph but I can't help it. There's an almost certain gratification thing going on because seeing the results makes one feel like one took a good shot even it's one that anyone could have taken, and most at the same location likely did, and if all one really did was point the camera in the sun's general direction.

But there is an other side to them, too. The Guardian called them the Marmite of the photography world. And they've been deconstructed pretty heavily by others for many many decades. See for instance this interesting piece by the interesting Annabella Pollen who suggests:

"Equivalent, perhaps, to images of kittens or thatched cottages, sunset photographs have a low cultural status: they are characterised as sentimental visual confectionary indicative of limited aesthetic vision and an undeveloped practice; as childlike pleasures". 

She also cites a 1930 book by John Cooper Powys who argued:

"the less cultured you are, the more you require from nature before you can be roused for reciprocity. Uncultured people require blazing sunsets, awe-inspiring mountains, astonishing waterfalls, masses of gorgeous flowers, portentious signs in the heavens, exceptional weather on earth, before their sensibility is stirred to a response. Cultured people are thrilled through and through by the shadow of a few waving grass-blades upon a little flat stone".

That last one really made me laugh. Whatever. I still like them.

Dune de Pilat

26339339348_8374b00466_b.jpg

Flickr

80 Planar+2XE Ektar

• Like 19

Wonderful stuff Eoin, thank you. I'm a noob when it comes to motorcycles but I do like how the Enfields look. And that bit about creating oil by joining two pieces of metal together is a classic :D

Great photo, too :)

Thanks, Philip. This one isn't mine (it's one of the countless thumpers idling around Mumbai), and it looks like it's brand new.

Mine does run, although I haven't used it in several years (sitting in the wrong Country). It will get a birthday one day, but I don't know when that will be.

The story of the Enfield is interesting. After many years basking in the wonders of English Engineering (being able to create oil by joining 2 pieces of metal together :rolleyes: ), the Redditch-based company started to supply the Empire's Armed Forces and Police services in India with the Bullet single. Because of the volume, Royal Enfield (as it was then) set-up a full production facility in Madras (now Chennai). When the Japanese brought motorcycling out of medieval feudalism, the Redditch Motherland went down the gurgler, and ceased operations. India, however, kept on keeping on, and sculpted 1,000's more single wonders, under the name 'Enfield'. They were not copies - they just never shutdown.

Out of that, Enfield (India) continued to be a viable business, eventually exporting, and in the last decade or two, bringing out new models (such as the one I photographed above).

Many Indians are proud of the Enfield, and rightly so - They achieved what the British motorcycle industry couldn't, finding sustainability through the onslaught of modernity.

Here endeth the lesson... :ph34r:

Sorry, Adam - As noted above to Philip, my post was misleading - That was not my Bullet. Here is a shot of my one from many years ago (kids are all grown up now)...

(Unknown camera and film, shot by my wife)

27303885092_8f696c2ce2_b.jpg001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 3

To contrast against Henry's and others wonderful wintry scenes here's a sunset from France last summer. I know sunsets are pretty silly to photograph but I can't help it. There's an almost certain gratification thing going on because seeing the results makes one feel like one took a good shot even it's one that anyone could have taken, and most at the same location likely did, and if all one really did was point the camera in the sun's general direction.

But there is an other side to them, too. The Guardian called them the Marmite of the photography world. And they've been deconstructed pretty heavily by others for many many decades. See for instance this interesting piece by the interesting Annabella Pollen who suggests:

"Equivalent, perhaps, to images of kittens or thatched cottages, sunset photographs have a low cultural status: they are characterised as sentimental visual confectionary indicative of limited aesthetic vision and an undeveloped practice; as childlike pleasures". 

"the less cultured you are, the more you require from nature before you can be roused for reciprocity. Uncultured people require blazing sunsets, awe-inspiring mountains, astonishing waterfalls, masses of gorgeous flowers, portentious signs in the heavens, exceptional weather on earth, before their sensibility is stirred to a response. Cultured people are thrilled through and through by the shadow of a few waving grass-blades upon a little flat stone".

Dune de Pilat

Flickr

80 Planar+2XE Ektar

It made me laugh. Reminded me of treasured moments with my great friend "J" when, upon viewing, hearing, or reading something entirely pretentious and or otherwise "high-browed", we look at one another, simultaneously declare "Jackass," and get a good chuckle. My thanks to Annabelle, John Cooper Powys, and other sophisticates who make me think of good times with my friends.

Great Photo.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 7

Russian version of earlier photo:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kiev II, 50mm 2.0 Sonnar (Russian edition,) Svema Color 120

• Like 16

Fantastic, Eoin.  Pretty tough-looking bike you had!

Sorry, Adam - As noted above to Philip, my post was misleading - That was not my Bullet. Here is a shot of my one from many years ago (kids are all grown up now)...

(Unknown camera and film, shot by my wife)

001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Interesting, Philip.  I've not heard so much elitest bullsh$t in a while.   Great sunset.

Dune de Pilat

Flickr

80 Planar+2XE Ektar

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another pictures for James,Adam and Eoin 

Kodak Portra 160 is really a nice film I think it's my favorite

Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

Scan in TIFF in 16 bits size 120 Mo for each picture

Portra dev by myself Tetenal

attachicon.gifImage28snokp16m7la35rlhvn+++1000.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1neigekp400m7lq35rlhvn+++1000.jpg

Best

Henry

Henry - your snow-covered branches and streams are wonderful. Like Ian, you have an excellent eye for natural history. And you may have found your perfect film with the Portra 160.

Dune de Pilat

Flickr

80 Planar+2XE Ektar

Pompous or not, I wonder if, 88 years later, Powys would have changed his mind in the age of social media, flickr, instagram and so on? And, despite the cultural bollocking, this is a lovely sunset in a lovely spot.

I know we have a few motorcycle fans among the thread members (GS Gary where are you?) so here's one for you:

Royal Enfield

Flickr

40/4 CFE Ektar

Thanks for this Philip. I have a treasured memory of riding an old 500 single around Goa a few years ago. Great until it ran out of fuel - the fuel gauge was knackered - I just left it by the side of the road, hitch-hiked back to where I got it from and told the owner where he'd find it. He neglected to tell me the tank was almost empty.

One from my walk with Mike last December in NYC

Portra 400

IIIg, 28 summaron

This is fantastic. Yes, I can see Marcia from the Brady Bunch... As for Ronnie Wood (Wayne's comment) - I quite liked him, especially faces era (I think the stones have been rubbish since he replaced the altogether superior Mick Taylor) - until I read his autobiography. Stuck-up pretentious twat... Same with Pete Townsend, unfortunately. Moral of the story - don't read autobiographies of conceited people.

Of mongrels and fishing boats.

Tizit beach, Dawei, Myanmar.

attachicon.gifTizit Beach.jpg

Kodak Color Plus 200

This is simply great. I wouldn't want to get between these dogs and a fish-head!

Great shots, too, Keith, James, Gnu (the last one especially for me), Ian, Eoin, Wayne, and anyone I've inadvertently missed - this thread really is the gift that keeps on giving.

• Like 6

One from my treasured little Voigtländer Perkeo I from about 1950. I picked up this tiny little 6X6 folder quite a few years ago for $35:

The Shrine, Melbourne 2012

Voigtländer Perkeo I, Ilford HP5+

This is brilliant, Phil.  Perfectly placed cube with the dark shadow in the upper left creating effective negative space.   Love it.

• Like 3

But there is an other side to them, too. The Guardian called them the Marmite of the photography world. And they've been deconstructed pretty heavily by others for many many decades. See for instance this interesting piece by the interesting Annabella Pollen who suggests:

Dune de Pilat

Flickr

80 Planar+2XE Ektar

Humans have admired sunsets and sunrises since the beginning of times. It’s not only about the beauty, but most importantly about the symbolic significance.

Very nice sunset, Philip.

• Like 5

Following the motorcycle theme, here's one I took last year, a Ural 2WD.

Leica III, Jupiter 50mm, Kodak BW400CN, long expired, (how I miss that film....)

• Like 17

Another view of the Ural.

YashicaMat LM, Kodak Ektar 100

• Like 17

Ektar rocks. I'm going down to B&H and picking me up some rolls.

Where in hell is..... 

• Like 5

One from my treasured little Voigtländer Perkeo I from about 1950. I picked up this tiny little 6X6 folder quite a few years ago for $35:

p1407880977-5.jpg

This is brilliant, Phil.  Perfectly placed cube with the dark shadow in the upper left creating effective negative space.   Love it.

I agree with Adam Phil

Superb picture well done and splendid b&w tone

6x6 format beats digital in definition resolution tone and general rendering

some more pictures in 6x6 Phil

and thanks for your comment about snowy pictures

Best

• Like 2

Thank you sincerely, Adam and Henry. Yes, this little 6X6 folder is capable of surprisingly high quality results - and medium format (as we know) is the way to go for the things you mention, Henri. That particular camera is good for keeping you engaged in the act of photographing - no light meter and no focussing other than a distance scale on the lens. So in using it you tend to keep your grey cells ticking over, which is an altogether good thing.

In response to your kind request, Doc:

p1114681418-5.jpg

Trentham Falls 2012

Hasselblad 500C/M, 60mm Zeiss Distagon, Ilford FP4+ (rated at 64ISO).

Really superb in quality Phil

Thank you for sharing

Best

Henry

• Like 1

This is great Wayne, very well executed. And those colours are fantastic.

Russian version of earlier photo:

attachicon.gifimg531n.JPG

Kiev II, 50mm 2.0 Sonnar (Russian edition,) Svema Color 120

Wow Phil! Insanely good.

p1407880977-5.jpg

Very cool Mike, I prefer this version with the people in the background. 

Another view of the Ural.

YashicaMat LM, Kodak Ektar 100

attachicon.gifSheet042_002.jpg

Love the tones in this one, Phil, from the inky "tar-ish" blacks to the retained highlights, and the composition.

Thank you sincerely, Adam and Henry. Yes, this little 6X6 folder is capable of surprisingly high quality results - and medium format (as we know) is the way to go for the things you mention, Henri. That particular camera is good for keeping you engaged in the act of photographing - no light meter and no focussing other than a distance scale on the lens. So in using it you tend to keep your grey cells ticking over, which is an altogether good thing.

In response to your kind request, Doc:

p1114681418-5.jpg

Trentham Falls 2012

Hasselblad 500C/M, 60mm Zeiss Distagon, Ilford FP4+ (rated at 64ISO).

• Like 4

Following the motorcycle theme, here's one I took last year, a Ural 2WD.

Leica III, Jupiter 50mm, Kodak BW400CN, long expired, (how I miss that film....)

attachicon.gifSheet043_002.jpg

The motorcycle equivalent of the Kiev II, :)

I knew a guy in Illinois, not too far from St. Louis, who sold Urals. I remember him saying, in an affectionate way:; The only reason they assemble them before shipment is to verify that all the parts are there.

• Like 5