S2 vs Rollieflex Hy6 with leaf 40 meg

sheikhrafiq79

I'm finding it quite hard to imagine a realistic photographic situation in which one of those cameras is inadequate and the right solution to the problem is the other one.

I suspect that the S2 would do better on the deck of a sailing boat in a gale and the Rollei would be more versatile on a copy stand ... but what do I know?

• Like 2

need some coments which one is batter and why ?
Rather tentatively, Rafiq, I'd like to offer an answer from a different point of view from Peter H. He was quite right to begin by concentrating on how the cameras differ for picture taking. I'd like to focus on which of the camera brands is more likely to survive as a company.

Both Leica and Rolleiflex have had terrible financial times in the recent past. Leica ran out of money in 2005, and was in danger of closing. It has been refinanced; financial news has been good for several years; and it can now sell all the cameras it can make. Rolleiflex ran out of money in 2009, and I believe it formally closed. A small organization emerged from the ashes, which continues to make the top flight cameras for which it is famous.

Now, no company is guaranteed a future, and the continuing development of the medium-format digital marketplace will likely result in some losers. Although I have used and loved Rolleiflex cameras for 40 years, and I wish the Rolleiflex company well, I am concerned about its ability to find the investment capital needed in the next few years ... more than I am concerned about Leica.

Later,

Dr Owl

John, I fear you are right.

What a sadness it is that Rolleiflex probably have no future as a going concern, since they have made such magnificent cameras over the years.

The decision to allow Hasselblad a free run at the SLR market while they concentrated on their TLRs was the beginning of a very slow end, and yet they continued to produce some magical cameras that very few people, relatively, have been able to enjoy and appreciate.

I suppose no company "deserves" success, but I can't help feeling that they were due some good luck that never materialised.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

need some coments which one is batter and why ?

I have used a Hy6 with a Sinar 33MP back for some time and then switched to S2 (nowS).

Here my subjective comparison:

Hy6:

+ different viewfinders available (incl. a nice WLF)

+ Some very nice Rollei lenses available

+ you can use the back also with a Techcam

- I didn't find the AF very precise

- overall slower to use and more post processing work

S2/S:

+ precise AF

+ DSLR-like handling (can be a plus or a minus)

+ weathersealed and overall feels more solid than a Hy6, which feels more fragile when you want to use it outside in rougher conditions

- expensive

Then you have a different sensor size. For me the sensor of the S2/S is a nice compromise and offers a little more DOF which I see as an advantage.

S2 is 2:3 - so different aspect ration as well (which ratio do you like/need?)

Overall I eventually found the files from the Sinar/Hy6/Rollei lenses slightly "smoother" than the Leica files, and the S2 files to pop a little more.

The biggest difference is handling IMO. I liked the Hy6 handling but I find the S2 much more flexible and use it more often instead a Nikon/Canon.

Also for such high resolution I see a precise AF very important. In this regard I prefer the S2/S.

What I liked about the Hy6 was the WLF and the classic "MF-feeling" it gave me, and the 110/2.0 and the 80 Xenotar.

The Leica lenses are stunning and leave nothing to be desired though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a review of Nikon D800 vs Hassy, neither of which you are reffering to. Hassy was marginally better at base, but lost big time at higher ISO.

My conclusion is the MF backs are made for studio work at base ISO. Phase One I think, but Leaf is in the same league PROBABLY. You check it out.

But perhaps you do not care about higher ISO. I use it little to never myself.

Unfamiliar with Roilie, but a 45 deg finder such as I had on a RB67 is first class for studio portraiture. I could not get along without it. How does one get a DSLR style on a seated subject. I now use a small chair. How do I spell kludge?

• 4 weeks later...