Tripping the shutter at the end of the advance stroke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently re-read Puts's review of the MP (through the Wayback Machine). In the introduction, he comments on the M3 and writes that:

The shutter can be released at the end of the advance stroke which allows for a fast operation. You need to practice this as the finger acrobatics are complicated.

I have tried this on both my M4 and my TTL and it is, indeed, possible to trip the shutter when the film advance levers are at their outermost position. Doing this causes the levers on both cameras to move even further. I am wondering if this has any negative impact on the machinery inside the camera, because the extra movement doesn't really feel the same as the ordinary film advance movement, presumably because no film is being advanced.

Does anyone know?

Philip

I recently re-read Puts's review of the MP (through the Wayback Machine). In the introduction, he comments on the M3 and writes that:

I have tried this on both my M4 and my TTL and it is, indeed, possible to trip the shutter when the film advance levers are at their outermost position. Doing this causes the levers on both cameras to move even further. I am wondering if this has any negative impact on the machinery inside the camera, because the extra movement doesn't really feel the same as the ordinary film advance movement, presumably because no film is being advanced.

Does anyone know?

Philip

Thats interesting but I supose the only way to find out if it has a negative impact is to keep doing it?? And then again when or why would you need to do? :confused:

Hello Steve,

Some people who have an "M" use it instead of another camera so they don't have to deal with the physical & conceptual clutter of a winder or a motor.

Ergonometric & simple is sometimes a better alternative.

When you are working in a tree there are times when a lite, "C" shaped tree saw with a thin, sharp blade is just as capable & is easier to handle than a chain saw.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a reply from Leica Customer Service to the effect that this design was intended for normal shooting and works on every film M, but, no, the film advance mechanism will not be affected negatively.

Philip

• Like 2