Ok, here we go... How big of a flash are you comfortable with, how much power will you need, do you want the ability to use bounce flash (moveable reflector) and how often do you think you will need a flash. I you only need a flash for a small room or fill flash then an SF-20 or an SF-24 will be fine. They are compact, have enough power for an average room and easy to have one in your camera bag at all times. The drawback is neither has the power for large areas and they have fixed reflectors resulting in direct flash when mounted on the camera. There are accessory diffusers and cords which will allow you to use the flash off camera. Moving up in size, power and price is the latest SF-58. It has a moveable reflector and will allow you more options for using an on camera flash. It is much larger than the SF-20 or 24 but is much more advanced. There are also Metz options since you don't have TTL. Welcome to the forum, this is the place for answers.

• Like 3

The Sunpak DS-20 is an excellent small flash, think of something in the SF-20 class, with the added ability to move the front vertically for bounce flash when shooting in landscape. It uses regular AA batteries, and even comes with a sync cord for off-camera operation. There's one on the big auction sight right now for $15. I recommend it from personal experience.

• Like 1

Ok, here we go... How big of a flash are you comfortable with, how much power will you need, do you want the ability to use bounce flash (moveable reflector) and how often do you think you will need a flash. I you only need a flash for a small room or fill flash then an SF-20 or an SF-24 will be fine. They are compact, have enough power for an average room and easy to have one in your camera bag at all times. The drawback is neither has the power for large areas and they have fixed reflectors resulting in direct flash when mounted on the camera. There are accessory diffusers and cords which will allow you to use the flash off camera. Moving up in size, power and price is the latest SF-58. It has a moveable reflector and will allow you more options for using an on camera flash. It is much larger than the SF-20 or 24 but is much more advanced. There are also Metz options since you don't have TTL. Welcome to the forum, this is the place for answers.

Hello ManNbad! Yes, I am new here ad I don't even know if I am writing in the right place.

Let's try.... I will take a workshop with Mary Ellen Mark in Oaxaca. She ask us to bring a flash, here is her letter:

"We will talk about on-camera flash,*So *I *would * advise *you *if *you *don’t *have *one *to *go *out *and *buy *one. * *Bring *along *a *white card and some rubber bands and we can show you how to make an inexpensive bound card. You can either go TTL with a flash that works directly with your camera. I use the Metz—which is expensive, but great. (If you are shooting medium format you might the appropriate sync cords, etc.)"

1- I plan to photograph Xamanic rituals, so indoors and outdoor photos.

2- I have an MP and a digital New M is my next goal, so it is important that the flash fits both.

3-I also have a Mamiya 6 (120mm), it would be important that the flaw fits this camera too.

With all this information, what do you believe that would be the best flash model for me?

Once Marry Hellen suggest Metz, i would be happy to go for that, what model though?

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are in the right place. The little Mecablitz 20 may work with a digital Leica but maybe someone else could answer that question. It looks like from your description of the class the instructor is looking for a flash with a moveable reflector head. These tend to be larger, more powerful flashes. The trick with the white card bounce is to take the flash head and point it straight up then attach a white card with rubber bands. This provides flash without the harsh shadows of an on camera direct flash. A good place to view different flashes it at the Metz web site Flash units: Metz. There you can view the latest flashes and get an idea of what will work with your current equipment and anything you may want to add in the future. I hope this information helps. I'm curious about which lenses you'll be using. If you will be using vey wide angle lenses (28mm or wider) some smaller flashes may not cover the the entire image area. There is quite a lot to learn but there is a lot of informatiom available once you decide on a flash.

Edited by madNbad
addendum
  • Like 1

Since you will be using two manual cameras (the Mamiya 6 and the Leica MP) you won't have TTL capabilities. Ideally you should pick up an auto (non-TTL) flash to work on both and with a fairly high guide number (since you'll be using the Mamiya.)

TTL flashes are dedicated to specific TTL systems (Nikon, Canon, Leica, etc..) An auto/manual flash can be used on any camera while the TTL flashes are camera specific (the camera brand TTL system.) And with an auto/manual flash you will be in full control and learn how a flash works.

The Metz 36 C-2 has three auto aperture modes, full manual, and with the appropriate vertical swivel head for bounce. It also covers 28mm to 85mm angle of view and has flash sync cord capabilities for off shoe use. It's shoe mounted and not too big or obtrusive at all and it doesn't cost a huge amount (Metz mecablitz 36-C2 Auto Flash MZ 53622 B&H Photo Video) I use it on the M4 and M6 bodies. The guide number is 30 meters at 100 ISO at the 50mm setting. Product information: Metz

Instead of Metz, you could also use the old school standbys such as the Vivitar 285 (which has the same guide number as the Metz but with four auto aperture settings.) Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video Although the Vivitar is a bit more convoluted in its use and also heavier and bigger than the Metz 36 C-2. The Sunpak 383 is similar but no longer available (unless you buy second hand.)

If you want full TTL capabilities with your future M9 you can get a flash specifically for that camera's TTL system and keep the 36 C-2 for the Mamiya and the MP. Otherwise you'll need to go the more expensive route of using the SCA modular system (if you want to use Metz) that are fitted for each different camera brand of TTL system.

Enjoy your workshop, she's been doing it for a long time. She's a good person (you could email her and send her the link asking her if that flash is appropriate.)

• Like 1

I also have a 285 and a 36-C2. I no longer use the 285 much because it is so heavy and I also do not like the high voltage from the trigger on my M6 TTL. Because of that I use a Wein trigger. I assume that the M7 does not share the same circuit for flash, thus would not be a problem. But I also vote for the 36-C2 as a nice flash for occasional use.

Wayne

• Like 1

If you don't mind used, something like a Nikon SB 28 works well. It has almost unlimited auto settings and a zoom head that bounces, swivels, and zooms. It's smaller, but no lighter, than a Vivitar. Another used, and cheap, option is the Vivitar 2800 - uses four AAs, has a bounce head, and has two auto exposure choices (f stops).