Pictures from Today November 4 2012

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few from today. There are days I carry the MM around my neck and barely get off a frame and I still consider those days to be 'outings'. Today as soon as I decided today was one of those days, I fired these off in a short time. total frames 24. The Leon of Juda truck I saw and wasn't set up right but scrambled and fired off two frames and glad I got it.

thanks for looking.

[ATTACH]345716[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]345717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]345718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]345719[/ATTACH]

• Like 2

I want to add something..I often post pictures of my outings or events..They are not meant to at all be considered 'winners' or images I think are special but the best of that particular day.

A recent poster and frequent contributor here said that a recent outing of mine, in his view were just ordinary snapshots that he sees everyday, albeit 'technically good'.

While that may or may not be true, my point is to share process and to keep a timeline here.

The winners I am striving for are clearly and obviously extremely difficult to capture. It's that hard.. It takes work, talent and perhaps even 'luck'. I generally am not looking to shoot events or photojournalism although I have nothing but the highest respect for photojournalists. I can hold my own doing that when I like..But to me I am looking for interest in the ordinary...a combination of things that you simply know it when you see it.

Thought I'd share a bit of my thoughts with you as each of us has different reasons to share our work or efforts.

In the "Leon of Juda' shoot, when I saw it, I didn't like my angle, I knew I wanted to be shooting straight at the truck and lined up correctly. I had less than 2 seconds to line up as I wanted and to change aperture and shutter speed to my best guess.

In the second image of 2nd Avenue with the garbage the 'guardrail and the parked Fed Ex truck, it was interesting how they all lined up and I took 3-4 frames and this one just felt the most right.

Image 3 of the cleaning person in the doorway just struck me as odd and somehow misshapen.

Image 4, I was almost home and saw this interestingly shaped man walking towards me..I quickly opened up aperture, got a little low and got off two frames.

The ultimate or some of the ultimate captures I look for usually has layers of interest, ideally 3...When I can't get what I want, I still try to shoot because you never really know exactly what you might get..

I plan to blog about this and some other thoughts on approach to my street photography...I am doing it full time or thinking about it full time.

What a blessing to be able to be doing this..

And have I posted in the last couple of days how the Monochrome is a true game changer for me? I get to sleep later and shoot later..Doesn't get better than that!

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 1

One of the great joys of photography is its immediacy. If we restricted ourselves to "winners' we'd miss out a lot of what is beautiful and simple in life.

I enjoy your photos and don't think there's any need for anyone to try to judge them. I think I understand exactly what you're doing, and I applaud it.

• Like 1