separate film M for both color and b&w?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I often carry a pair of chrome M6s when out shooting on the street. One body is (currently) loaded with E100G (and will continue to be so until I have exhausted my stash of some 300+ rolls), the other (of course) with Tri-X. While a chrome/black body combination would have been nice (read: more visually convenient), such was not my luck when I stumbled on my second M6 body (a mint beauty purchased for $1000.00 CDN from an individual who was "giving up on film photography"). So...the only means of distinguishing between the two is a "Forever Kodachrome" button affixed to the strap of one of the bodies; a quick reminder which body contains colour...

When film was the only medium for photography some ( both profesionals and amatures) used to carry two M's for the different characteristics of color(positive and.or negative) and B&W. There also was a Kodak paper, (Panalure) for printing from color negs for B&W.

Most Professionals carried two bodies with different focal lengths and the same film.. I caried two bodies with the same color film or in the case of Kodachrome, two speeds or two bodies with Tri-X when working for a newspaper with two focal lengths.

Today with digital post processing equipment, B&W from color would not be a problem and unless one seeks the results froma specific B&W emulsion and publishes actual prints rather than digitsl representation, I don't believe one could objectively differentiate the results.

I would concentrate on one emulsion, either color or B&W.

Today I carry two M7's, only for the ability to switch focal lengths very quickly.-Dick

• Like 1

Five cameras, really. One each for black, white, red, blue, green.

What I like about this forumis that the Moderators allow the most inane Posts!

The Dennis Hopper character pictured is maybe based on Sean Flynn(That's right Flynn as in Errol) who was a Combat Photogrpaher among other things who was once pictured with 3 Nikons. At that period of time compact Zoom lenses for nikon didn't exist as and some actually carried at least three Nikons or two Nikons and a Leica in War Zones in Vietnam and the poltical strife in the US. I myself covered the events in Madison Wisconsin including the bombing of the Army Math Researh Center on Campus with two Nikons because that's all I could afford and when offered an assignment in Vietnam by my newspaper, declined to go, I don't like bullets flying around. Obviously the Hopper character was exagerated but not by a lot.

BTW I don't see 5 cameras on Hopper but only four..

The first zoom I remember for the Nikon was the 80-200 f4.5 1969 which when it hit the market, everyone had to have! Perhaps if this was available earlier we would have Hopper carrying only two Nikons.

In any event the Hopper character was an excellent portrayal of Combat Photojournalists of the time.-Dick

Edited by budrichard
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] I myself covered the events in Madison Wisconsin including the bombing of the Army Math Researh Center on Campus [...]

Cap Times?

I'll bet you knew at least one of these people - Faverty, Brill, Pfleger, Fritz .

No? How about Sroda?

RE: 43-86 mm - I had one and it was a very poor lens.

Does anyone have separate film Ms for color and b&w?

Today, during my first ever session with a M (:)), there were times when I had the wrong film for the subject, but still had a few shots left on the roll. At these times a second camera would have been handy.

I used to, but not anymore. Now it's B&w MP , or M9 colour. but most of the times, I just leave one at home. depends on my ( b&w ) mood.

I 'am thinking about buying a used Monochrom in about two years.

;)

Cap Times?

I'll bet you knew at least one of these people - Faverty, Brill, Pfleger, Fritz .

No? How about Sroda?

RE: 43-86 mm - I had one and it was a very poor lens.

Worked for State Journal with Ed Stein, A Craig Benson, Roger Turner and JD Patrick. Didn't know many of the Cap Times people well. Steve Reimer was AP before he went to Nat Geo. Knew more of the Milwaukee Journal people since I had previously been the 'stringer' in the Madison office.

Quite a time! Ed gave me a riot helmet to use for protection but I knew if I used it both the Police and Students would be able to identify me and neither liked photographers.

I got to the bombing in the am before the FBI cordoned off the area. Blew out the first floor completely and only columns were standing. The reinforcing around all the windows of the 6 stories (I think) was blown out and mangeled.

I used to work as a Graduate Student in the below grade labs where Fassnacht was killed.

Quite a sobering experience.-Dick

i

All those names are familiar to me. Add one more name from Madison of the same period who went to work in Vietnam: Neal Ulevich. Neal won a Pulitzer for photography from work he did there. Steve Raymer went to Nat. Geo. a couple years ahead of one of my employees. Other names I mentioned are still alive and well except for Mickey Pfleger who worked in Madison and with whom I worked briefly in Chicago and visited with a couple years before his death. For the rest reading here - you might be interested in his story.

On Topic - we all carried three cameras at a time back then. Some carried four. Look at our cameras to know that - they bounced against each other at times. Dents galore.

I tried this for about a year with an MP for B&W and an M6 for either color or a different lens. I found it difficult to change my way of looking at things when switching back and forth between B&W and color. I really have to just "think" in B&W or "think" in color, get in the right mindset and stay there for a while.

• Like 2

All those names are familiar to me. Add one more name from Madison of the same period who went to work in Vietnam: Neal Ulevich. Neal won a Pulitzer for photography from work he did there. Steve Raymer went to Nat. Geo. a couple years ahead of one of my employees. Other names I mentioned are still alive and well except for Mickey Pfleger who worked in Madison and with whom I worked briefly in Chicago and visited with a couple years before his death. For the rest reading here - you might be interested in his story.

On Topic - we all carried three cameras at a time back then. Some carried four. Look at our cameras to know that - they bounced against each other at times. Dents galore.

I took Steve's job when he went from the State Journal to the AP.

Page 33, Wisconsin State Journal, January 17, 1971: NewspaperARCHIVE.com

The above is a year end perspective where we showed our best work. Find my picture?

I only carried two Nikon F's because that's all I could afford! But the prism's were dented and during one riot runnning under a single chain fence around Chadbourne Hall, caught my wind lever and bent it up at a 60 degree angle. Figured what the hell, bent it back until it worked and ran a roll of film through it and it was fine. Nikon F, best camera, ever!-Dick

I took Steve's job when he went from the State Journal to the AP.

Page 33, Wisconsin State Journal, January 17, 1971: NewspaperARCHIVE.com [...]

Except for the unfortunate insertion of promotional stuff, that layout was something of a trademark that came from the region (Wisconsin). Dick Sroda went on to "The Paper", Oshkosh, and then to Paddock to raise a similar style to great national recognition. Having worked for Dick, I still have a lot of those layouts. (Almost all staffers who worked for Sroda went on to very successful careers. One staff member achieved three Pulitzer Prizes.)

So much for the old days.

I tried this for about a year with an MP for B&W and an M6 for either color or a different lens. I found it difficult to change my way of looking at things when switching back and forth between B&W and color. I really have to just "think" in B&W or "think" in color, get in the right mindset and stay there for a while.

But i actully use two cameras lodaed with same stock instead of changing lenses

• Like 1

Different focal lengths, different film speeds, or different modalities - colour or black and white. You can sort it out any way you like, and in the end that is exactly what you should do. If you are lucky enough to have two examples of the same camera model, you can do whatever suits the situation best. I have done it with two M7s and with two MPs in all the above pairings. I can't now, as I have sold my duplicate film cameras to buy a Monochrom. I'm not sad, though!;)

Chris

• Like 1