LUF Book 2012 - ongoing sales

andybarton

I'm trying to order a copy on Premium Paper but paper quality is listed as standard. I’m not seeing the Upgrade to Premium Paper option. How do I order a copy on the higher quality paper?

When I, as the "author" bought my copies, I was offered a choice of threee papers by the Blurb system. I spent an hour last night trying to work out how it is possible to offer "customers" the same choice, but I failed. The Blurb software is not user friendly in this regard.

I therefore set the dust cover book with the "standard" paper and the image wrap one with the "premium lustre" paper, to give some element of choice, but have now put the Pro paper in both versions..

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 1

Andy - What size is the large square format? I'm sure I saw the spec. Info. on another thread but can't locate it now.

Thanks,

Graeme

The book is currently offered as Large Square, which is 12 x 12 inches.

The software allows you to change the size at the click of a button (to 7 x 7 inches), but extremely unhelpfully, it then requires that the text on every single page is resized to suit the new paper size. Only the images get reduced. This will take me some time. after which the smaller version will be available in softback too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Andy,

Great work! The book looks superb. Can the book be ordered with ProLine paper?

N.S. Ng

See my sticky thread in this section. Blurb only allow each edition of the book to be sold with one paper type.

This evening I will upload other versions and see whether they will allow me to sell them without buying one first. each time you upload a book, it is treated as a new book and they require that the author buys one before it is sold. I can't afford to keep buying books to allow different papers to be used.

• Like 1

Only if it's "your" book. If you are selling them, you need to choose a paper. It's a PITA, to be honest, and I can see no reason for it. Blurb should just be able to offer a menu of papers, covers, etc.

• Like 1

It should be easy to sell them on on the forum.

I could take an order and have them delivered to a third party address, provided I was PayPal'd the cost of the book, plus postage, plus PayPal fee and the person who ordered through me, paid the £10 donation to the JustGiving site direct.

Now that we are able to browse the final book, I would like to compliment Andy for the perfect layout and matching of the images.

Just one thing saddens me: Reality is reflected in the low number of wildlife shots - it is the shame of the world that Leica abandoned - or rather had to abandon- all those beautiful Apo-Telyt and Vario lenses....:o

• Like 1

I have emailed Blurb's help desk with queries about the papers and the security of eBooks and will see what they have to say for themselves.

If I were in London, I'd go round to their showroom and ask one of their assistants.

I could take an order and have them delivered to a third party address, provided I was PayPal'd the cost of the book, plus postage, plus PayPal fee and the person who ordered through me, paid the £10 donation to the JustGiving site direct.

One volunteer here...:)

Response from Blurb to my queries of lunchtime (very efficient, I have to say)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for contacting Blurb about your books.

Unfortunately, our site only allows you, the author, to decide which paper stock someone can purchase your book with. At the moment, you can only choose one specific paper stock for your book. We are looking towards revamping our site and I'll be sure to pass this on as a suggestion, as it is pretty popular.

Currently, our ebooks have no DRM or protective options to them.

I apologize again for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any questions about the information above.

Best wishes,

Blurb Customer Support

I have responded by asking whether I would need to buy another copy, if I uploaded a second version, with different paper.

Edited by andybarton

You can't change the paper yourself, only the author can do that. If you paid £84, you will be getting the Premium Paper

I am now uploading a second version, which I will set up to have the Standard paper, which will be a little bit cheaper, and I will then reformat all the text in the smaller size, and upload that.

The author still has to buy a copy of each edition before he can sell it, but they do allow him or her to buy the eBook version, rather than the full paper version. I have told Blurb that this is completely ridiculous and that they should just allow customers to choose the paper they want, if the author allows them to.

• Like 2