Summicron 35 mm in pieces

Apart from the original purchase price of course.;)

Pete.

Well that was written off when he dropped it so its still a good deal for what will in effect be a be nearly a brand new lens won't it ?? :D

When all's said and done what use is it in its damaged condition except for scrap.

Best wishes

Well that was written off when he dropped it so its still a good deal for what will in effect be a be nearly a brand new lens won't it ?? ...

Mike I was referring to Michael's statement about the cost of the lens not its value. The OP wouldn't be in a position to have a "pretty much new" lens for 673 Euro if hadn't already paid x Euro for the lens in the first place so the cost of the lens is more than 673 Euro. :)

Pete.

Mike I was referring to Michael's statement about the cost of the lens not its value. The OP wouldn't be in a position to have a "pretty much new" lens for 673 Euro if hadn't already paid x Euro for the lens in the first place so the cost of the lens is more than 673 Euro. :)

Pete.

OK Pete, does it really make any difference? I'm sure we all realise the original cost of the lens is more than the cost of the repair. The main thing is as long as Bart is happy to pay 673 Euros then we should all feel pleased for him :D

Best wishes ;)

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

Among other things we do restoration & this is an issue which comes up on occasion. When a damage occurrs all or part of the value that was there an instant before is now gone. The question then becomes: Is the remaining value & the cost of repair a reasonable ammount to invest in what was left given what it will become? Our personal policy is: If the remaining value & the cost of restoration is below or @ the value of what is there after restoration then we will consider doing it. If that combined # exceeds the value of the restored whatever we will not do it.

If this were my lens I would fix it.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is an interesting lens as it was made during a difficult period for Leitz. I had a lens from the same batch. Mine was serial number 3063289 with the same "Tiger Paw" on the focus ring. The front of the lens loosened up so I sent it to Sherry Krauter and she fixed it. She said it had a plastic interior part and that I must be careful not to put too much pressure on the mount as it would losen up again and it may not be repairable the second time. I had many arguements about this lens as other Leica folks said that Leitz never used plastic in their lens mount. They were obviously wrong. I no longer have the lens as I traded it and a M4 black paint for a Lufthaffen lllc. I never missed that lens as I thought it was too frail. Does Leica still use plastic in their lens mounts? Well no less authority than Dennis Laney on page 229 of his recently published Leica collectors guide says as a description of the middle picture of one lens "50mm, f/2.8 Elmar in light-weight black plastic mount." Now where did he get that information from? When I get to heaven I am going to ask him for sure! I will post on the forum and tell you then. :DI have that lens and I do not feel that the mount has plastic in it anywhere.