M9 LR3 profile

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

as i was playing with LR3, i realized how the colors are changing when i toggled between the profiles in camera calibration. In some cases, there is a drastic change going from cold to warm color.

Which one are you choosing: incorporated or Adobe 98. I also found on the web 2 customs profiles as well.

Regards!

Hi Mylek. This sounds like you are talking about White Balance selections as well as Camera Calibration profile choices

As long as you are shooting DNG (Raw file) the White Balance is not set in the file when you take the photo. It only shows what was set in the camera manually or by Auto WB. No information is lost nor any setting permanent as long as you shot DNG. You can choose any option you like when you look at a preview of the DNG in Lightroom and you can customise any of the standard choices too. There is not only one 'correct' answer. Also sometimes you have more than one type of light in the same photo. Remember that anything on your screen depends on the monitor and its settings and anything in print depends on different things too.

When you actually export a version of your DNG file as another file type your choice is actually applied to that version, along with any other adjustments you choose. Of course you can go back and export other versions with different settings anytime you want. The DNG is not changed, only the instructions that go with the image.

From the current M9 profiles, Adobe Standard is what Adobe considers is the 'best' colour rendering. This has been updated and improved since the first Adobe Standard M9 profile. Remeber tht the choices shown are only the ones for your camera model. Embedded is the camera's original. If you installed custom profiles on your computer then you see those choices as well.

You can edit a profile with a free tool if you want. This was meant to allow for camera to camera variations but also can be used for personal preference.

Edited by hoppyman

Thanks Geoff!

You touch the problem. I changed the temperature of the photo before so when i was going thru the preset Color temp was changing as well.

I'll stay with Adobe98 after looking to a lot of samples and scrolling thru the profiles : embedded, M9 digital and Sandy M9 profiles.

Regards!

I think that the default Adobe Standard profile works very well and it is better for me than any custom one I have made. Sandy's profiles are the most accurate that I am aware of anywhere and a benchmark really. There is no one 'correct' answer for everyone. Accurate is not always what you want and the best for you is not always accurate. The same goes for White Balance.

Don't get confused when you say Adobe98. AdobeRGB (1998) is a colour space. That means the largest range (gamut) of possible tones that your device can display. Most monitors, web browsers and many commercial printers cannot display all of those possible tones and fit into sRGB which is I think about 76% of AdobeRGB.

A profile is HOW your device interprets a particular colour. Different devices can show the same tones differently.