All-new R 3000 six months ahead of schedule

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week "died" my 6-7 years old A4 Epson Stylus Photo

R 800 printer.

It didn't happen quite suddenly and unexpectedly.

It had for some time shown signs of no longer perceiving when I gave it the orders to print.

Maybe it had got Alzheimer’s in its microprocessor brain.:D

Anyway, now stands a brand new 2011, - Epson Stylus Photo R 3000 printer on the table next to the Mac.

I did not really intended to spend money on such a purchase now in the beginning of the summer.

Printing of images is for me an activity that essentially belongs to those long dark cold winter evenings.

But as the world has become, - you don't manage entirely without a printer for very long.

R 3000 is a very compact A3 photo printer that handles all types of photo paper and regular writing paper.

It has 9 pcs relatively large 25 ml cartridges with professional Ultra chrome K3 ink.

Four of these cartridges are with different types of black ink, - three of which used simultaneously.

I've only just begun to explore the opportunities this printer offers. Actually, I have all too much else to carry out now in the summer.

But I can certainly already now say that this printer really works very quietly and without any shaking and vibrating.

And it performs of course a very beautiful print-result.:)

As a curiosity, I mention that Epson Europe immediately was able to tell me what serial number which both the shipping box and my printer were tagged with, when I logged on their website.

A little spooky, if you ask me.:eek::D

Anyway, now stands a brand new 2011, - Epson Stylus Photo R 3000 printer on the table next to the Mac.

Quite "traditional". Thanks to WLAN and Bonjour, my R3000 resides in the basement where my good old darkroom rests unused since years. Very cool. Now I am waiting for some digital "baryta" prints ... :D

BTW - any recommendations on premium paper that brings back some of the haptic experience I am missing so desperately?

Johannes

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from a tiny bit color-tint in some cases, - caused by the ink my old printer used, - it seemed to me that I could see the same colors from the printer, which I saw on the screen.

But one color I could never so far manage to get correct out of my old printer.

The color, - used by this specific truck-company on their cabs, - is purple, - and has an expensive multilayer transparent finish.

The photo was taken with film and scanned. But whether the copy came from the photo lab, - or I printed it myself, - this special purple color always became reproduced as blue.

However, - with my new R 3000 printer that uses Vivid Magenta K3 Ink, it now appears as the issue is solved.:)

First I opened the image in Photoshop.

Then I selected the beautiful Premium Luster paper and printer profile SPR 3000 Epson Premium Luster in the Photoshop “Color Management” dialog box.

The automatic color controls shown in the print “Color Matching" box will then be turned off.

And, as a miracle, out of the printer came the picture of the truck with a purple cab as I had only seen it in reality before.

I think I'll print a photo in A3 and give to this company just to celebrate that I as an amateur now manage to reproduce this peculiar color.:D

Furthermore, I follow with interest the discussion in another thread here, about what is happening in the relation with monitor calibrators and the new Mac OS X Lion.

I want both to purchase me printer calibration equipment and a new monitor calibrator, - but now I am waiting to see what is happening in relation to this upcoming Mac upgrade.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!