Camera Store complaint and praise

lcrl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if your post is serious, or intended to wind us up as one other commented.

Probably the latter, but in the unlikely case you're serious, I'd say Central had you pegged perfectly: the type that abuses customer privilege; always taking up staff time and not a hint of shop loyalty in return.

I bought my first M at Heller camera several decades ago. After the owner generously spent lots of quality time with me, I wouldn't have shopped anywhere else. Much of his wisdom applies just as well today. And I've been to Ace with very mixed results; haven't earned my loyalty.

Jeff

Just out of curiosity, do you know when Heller's went under? I think it was while I lived in OK in the 90's.

Heller's was very tolerant of me, a annoying 13 year old convinced the Minolta SRT-101 was the be-all of the world...

Hope hope you prove some of the respondants wrong lcrl, and next time you go into the shop you take your wallet with you! Good luck

Steve

It won't be next time, but it will be soon. My birthday is Sept 8, and I turn 50 then. Since I'm not the type to buy a red Corvette for my mid-life crisis, the M9 will have to do.

And most assuredly I'll be buying it at Ace. In any case aren't all M9's pretty much list price everywhere? I suppose their might be some quirk in exchange rates that would make it cheaper to buy from europe say, but that's a lot of work for relatively little gain.

there's a thread over on dpreview about some guy try to buy a M9 from a website for $600 off, geez that less than a 10% discount to buy from a store that set it's website up with godaddy in January? I'd only do that it they'd take the IOU from the Nigerian princess who left me 25 million....

Just out of curiosity, do you know when Heller's went under? I think it was while I lived in OK in the 90's.

Probably sometime after 1994 when I, too, moved away for a while. I knew toward the end that Mr. Heller was looking to get out of the business when he asked me (and certainly others) if I had any interest in purchase.:eek: I was happy just to buy cameras and lenses, thank you.

Jeff

Central is owned by a fine family for 100 years. They are a fine a reputable store.

They are protecting their stock from "tire kickers" who have no intention of buying it.

Look at it like a tooth brush, you would not want a demo model.

If a store can do enough volume to warrant a demo model, then great. But my local keeps less expensive Nikon D3000, 5000 etc as demos. The D3X stays in the vault, literally not figuratively. The only way you hold a top line Nikon without buying it is if they happen to have a used one.

Say you were buying a car, would you want to pay top money for one that 100 people had driven 5 miles each on a demo drive? No they sell those off as demos. If a hundred people handle a Leica, it will probably show wear and a serious buyer will not want it, after all he is buying new.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Probably sometime after 1994 when I, too, moved away for a while. I knew toward the end that Mr. Heller was looking to get out of the business when he asked me (and certainly others) if I had any interest in purchase.:eek: I was happy just to buy cameras and lenses, thank you.

Jeff

The location now a Ruth Cris steakhouse. It's too bad he couldn't find a buyer. A leica dealer in Bethesda would match up very well with their current demographic (and the Bang & Olufson store just down the street)

FWIW I always had planned to buy a Leica at Heller's just to make up for what a annoying little goober I was in 1975.

Central is owned by a fine family for 100 years. They are a fine a reputable store.

They are protecting their stock from "tire kickers" who have no intention of buying it.

Look at it like a tooth brush, you would not want a demo model.

If a store can do enough volume to warrant a demo model, then great. But my local keeps less expensive Nikon D3000, 5000 etc as demos. The D3X stays in the vault, literally not figuratively. The only way you hold a top line Nikon without buying it is if they happen to have a used one.

Say you were buying a car, would you want to pay top money for one that 100 people had driven 5 miles each on a demo drive? No they sell those off as demos. If a hundred people handle a Leica, it will probably show wear and a serious buyer will not want it, after all he is buying new.

Well I went to Central specifically because I heard good things about them here. I understand their philosophy, and I don't agree with it, but it's their choice, and it must work for them. Personally I'd have no problem buying a demo M9, after all it's a tool to be used.

But it's also a piece of art in it's own right.

Let's get aside the "I want to buy untouched cameras only" thing - of course, and that should be the business model of any shop, which is why shops, who can afford, offer demo models and shop who can't with their business model do not offer fondling or at offer battery less fondling with white gloves.

The issue with certain shops indeed is their understanding of business.

I have been on a short vacation in France recently and happened, to browse a few camera shops in Paris.

When on vacation, it can occur, that I wear a three or more day beard, worn workers boots, old jeans and a washed out t-shirt.

I don't advertise my income, nor the potential ingredients of my camera bag, when entering a camera store.

I am always completely frank about my intentions, when in a shop, so I show, if I am kicking tires or intend, to potentially do a major purchase. I am not the person, who fondles at the local shop and looks for a better package in the internet.

I am the person, who investigates price beforehand and confronts the shop with this, when an actual deal should arise, to find together a all around satisfying solution.

4 of the visited camera stores completely stood out for me in Paris.

1) Leica Shop

I went inside, communicated both my interest and strong reservations towards buying either a very expensive lens or a M9.

Despite my worn look, I have been promptly and most friendly offered to use a demo M9 camera with my own or the shops lenses, download photos, inspect them and even find a solution, to see the not in stock very expensive lens.

This has been an experience, I am completely unused to from my purchases in China mainland and Hong Kong.

Most satisfying!

Due to the prompt and very satisfying handling of m concerns, I have decided on the spot, to buy a M9 in this shop.

I bought the M9, as the shop personnel successfully and most professionally handled a customer.

2) Major Leica dealer in Paris

I walked in, waited until the one sales person/ owner (?) handled a customer. I browsed the shops offerings during the time.

I have not even offered a glance or a hello upon entering the shop.

After a while a second shop sales person appeared, whom I had to contact with my requests.

She unwillingly provided sort of help, until she appeared, to have reached her border of responsibility, signaling me, to wait for person no 1.

Person no. 1 appeared, quickly answered questions incompletely, offering no further advice, help or signs of motivation, to sell anything to me and left me standing there.

I wished a good day and left the shop - I was not greeted back, nor did any of the two sales persons even lift their heads.

A shop, I surely will not come back to.

3) A chain photo equipment store in Paris with major manufacturer outfits from lighting over DSLRs to Leicas and video. Mostly younger personnel and quick, small transactions with more customer traffic than above shops.

I entered and despite the shop was busy, I have been attended and asked, if I could be helped within less than 2min most friendly and honestly.

I responded, to just look out of curiosity and browsed further. I later entered the table with one sales person, asked for a few items, which unfortunately where not in stock or not available.

I then asked, if the shop had a demo model of the displayed X-100, informing, that I do not intend of buying one, but wanting, to look out of curiosity.

I promptly have been answered, that no demo model was available, as only the one left on display would be there, but I could for sure have a look - most helpful.

I have been answered most knowledgeably all upcoming questions and treated very nicely.

Within seconds a crowd of 4-5 other costumers have been built up around the now exposed X-100 from which surely one or two have been made more curious about the new camera than just seeing them behind glass.

I left the shop shortly after with a very nice feeling and will make sure, that if I am in France, I will look back at this shop and see, if I find something useful, I could buy.

4) A very small, dusty second hand shop in Paris.

I went in, have been immediately greeted by the owner, who was busy with a transaction with another customer, selling a camera to him.

As soon, as a moment freed up, he offered me help.

I asked for LTM lenses of any brand, he had available and specified a few items, I am looking for.

I had nothing listed by me, but turned out, to have a beaten Canon 35 1.8 LTM, one, I am also curious about.

As of the beaten cosmetics and missing infinity lock, I communicated, that I am not interesting in buying the lens (highly priced as well), but asked, if I could try it on my camera.

The owner, without hesitation responded "sure", found the lens in the window, handed it to me and was assured, that although I didn't buy something that day, that I surely come back next time.

That's a bit long winded, but for me, it really, really makes a huuge difference, if I have a nice buying experience with a shop or not, be it a penny item or an expensive camera or lens.

This translated also to online shops - quick, clear communications, quick shipping with professional handling stands out. I have been recently positively surprised during my first transaction with PopFlash regarding these points.

...and I needed the money to support my future ex-wife.

This one made me laugh out loud. Do treat yourself with a Leica for your birthday, I am pretty sure you will enjoy it a lot. But beware, it can get addictive :).

Andy

That's a bit long winded, but for me, it really, really makes a huuge difference, if I have a nice buying experience with a shop or not, be it a penny item or an expensive camera or lens.

This translated also to online shops - quick, clear communications, quick shipping with professional handling stands out. I have been recently positively surprised during my first transaction with PopFlash regarding these points.

I completely agree with your 'philosophy' of shopping, and don't mind paying more or travelling a bit further for a dealer who provides better service and support. I will walk out of a store that provides crap customer service.

I share your positive experience with Popflash re. internet purchases. Similar with Kurland (although communication re progress processing an overseas credit card transaction was a bit slow - I suspect they have been burned before and are a bit more careful nowadays

).

When I buy something I'm not looking for a social experience or to have my ego stroked.

I know what I want, I negotiate the lowest price after research, and I don't go into camera stores to play with equipment.

I'll buy online, at stores, from individuals such as on craigslist, estate sales, auctions, it makes no difference to me.

When I buy something I'm not looking for a social experience or to have my ego stroked.

I know what I want, I negotiate the lowest price after research, and I don't go into camera stores to play with equipment.

I'll buy online, at stores, from individuals such as on craigslist, estate sales, auctions, it makes no difference to me.

Nobody needs to have egos stroked.

I personally just refuse, to deal with a@#holes - simple.

Don't confuse this with the need of certain clientel for BestBuy style artificial friendlyness shoving sales personal - nobody needs an over motivated non helpful seller either.

You are actually communicating, that you are spending 5.000 EUR on products, based on internet research, rather on having it tried out? :confused:

• Like 1

I suppose one can always have a bad day with any dealer.

Half a century ago I decided to buy a Leica IIIg. Arriving at a well-known Leica dealer shortly after leaving work, I found him locking the shop door. The conversation went as follows:

“You are supposed to close at 5.30.”

“Yes, but today I decided to close early.”

“I wanted to buy a Leica.”

“Well, you will have to come back tomorrow.”

Best regards,

Doug

I suppose one can always have a bad day with any dealer.

Half a century ago I decided to buy a Leica IIIg. Arriving at a well-known Leica dealer shortly after leaving work, I found him locking the shop door. The conversation went as follows:

“You are supposed to close at 5.30.”

“Yes, but today I decided to close early.”

“I wanted to buy a Leica.”

“Well, you will have to come back tomorrow.”

Best regards,

Doug

Did you ? :)

Nobody needs to have egos stroked.

I personally just refuse, to deal with a@#holes - simple.

Don't confuse this with the need of certain clientel for BestBuy style artificial friendlyness shoving sales personal - nobody needs an over motivated non helpful seller either.

You are actually communicating, that you are spending 5.000 EUR on products, based on internet research, rather on having it tried out? :confused:

Absolutely. I almost never try out a camera before I buy one. If I buy something I don't like, I resell it.

I had decades of experience with M Leicas, but I never picked up a Leica M9 before I bought one. I don't go to stores to play with cameras.