Skimlinks

Stealth3kpl

Andy - true - but the skimlinks paradigm comes darn close to "editing" my posts - if, as I do, one considers one's links part of one's content.

Maybe I'm miffed at E--s--n or K--d--k and don't want to promote their sites - and don't want forum members thinking I'm promoting them. I dodged one link the other day (before I knew what was up) by just deleting the "attractive" word and paraphrasing.

If you want to make income off my words and thinking - then pay me a percentage. No smiley face - I'm not kidding.

I give my words and my time (a considerable amount of time) to this forum freely and with pleasure, as I believe that I get more out of it than I put in. The vast majority of members here benefit from the forum and its content for nothing, which is fine, but the forum costs a lot of money to host and that money has to be found from somewhere. It's not a charity. Some of us also choose to support it via sponsorship. I do so as I value the support, friendship, advice etc that this forum offers.

If you feel that you should be paid for your contribution, because Andreas is testing a plug-in which automatically adds links to certain words such as Epson and Kodak, then you will need to take that up with him.

Edited by andybarton
Typo

Andy (P), just out of curiosity, do you turn carrier bags inside out when you go shopping?

I think that as long as skimlinks are implemented sensibly, they are a small price to pay for the use of this resource.

Feel free to differ

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

Andy - I'm just concerned about commercial links be applied directly to my words - especially without my knowledge ahead of time (and with limited capability to edit my posts to remove the unintentional appearance of endorsements).

I'm not actually interested in being paid - I'm interested in NOT having my words hijacked to appear to endorse or support someone else's commercial purposes.

There are real-world ramifications:

Website: Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati - FTC Revises Advertising Guidelines for Endorsements and Testimonials: Changes Focus on Social Networking and New Media

Blogger Beware: Using Endorsements and Testimonials the Right Way - News, Articles, and Events - Loeb & Loeb LLP

If skimlinks remain here, I'll have to consider my options. Billing Andreas will NOT be one of them, but they might include:

- Careful phrasing or euphemisms to avoid any brand names

- A disclaimer added to my signature on all posts noting that any such links that do appear have been forced upon me by the Forum and are not my own endorsements.

- other, as may occur to me

@ Bill - I don't shop at the kinds of places that provide promotional carrier bags. ;)

Edited by adan

Apologies - I read your previous post thinking that you DID want a percentage.

If you want to make income off my words and thinking - then pay me a percentage. No smiley face - I'm not kidding.

Drop a PM to Andreas with your concerns and, if you think that you get some value from the Forum, have a think about the Sponsorship option.

Edited by andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to all - I have to apologize!

I made a mistake in the implementation of Skimlinks thus the behaviour was not as intended...

Skimwords (for example this Kodak link) should be gone now everywhere.

I had a double implementation but deactivated only one.

Skimlinks is still active but doesn't affect the experience anywhere.

It only changes links that are going to affiliate programs (iTunes, eBay, Amazon) and brings us a small provision.

If you still see the Skimwords links anywhere, please send me a PM!

Best regards from Bonn

Andreas

• Like 2