Members' ages

andybarton

In which age band do you currently find yourself? No cheating - it's a private poll!  

944 members have voted

1. 1. In which age band do you currently find yourself? No cheating - it's a private poll!

• 0-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70-79
    • 80-89
    • 90-199

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following on from Bill Palmer's thread about "Leica Years" http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/barnacks-bar/166695-leica-years.html, it might be about time that a straw poll was held again to see where the age of typical forum membership lies.

We did this a few years ago and, IIRC, the average age at that time was around 44.

In order to protect the innocent and maintain a sense of decorum, I have made this poll anonymous, and have used typical demographic age ranges to keep it simple.

Over to you.

It'll be interesting to see how many under 10s we have!

We're not ageist here - in either direction.

If someone of truly biblical age turns up claiming to be 665 and can prove that they fathered children in the last 5 years, then I will extend the poll ;)

• Like 2

Maybe because they invest in kids and college funds?

That, or they don't know how to find good Leica bargains. An M1 or a Ig is just as much a Leica as a IIIf RD ST or a MP (both incarnations). Also, even if a body can be acquired inexpensively, the issue then becomes the lenses. College kids don't usually think "all that partying could have bought me a nice user M4 or M6 with a summarit" but rather "how much zoom extension does my vario-elmar get when i have an R-mount that wants it".

I'm 25, so my perspective may be a bit skewed, but I see a lot of my peers (college-aged students) who have become so subservient to the automation a digital camera provides that the presence of either of my film SLRs (the Flex or the F3HP) causes head-turning of various degrees. Those on here who shoot exclusively Ms or LTMs or Rs may have experienced this when someone college-aged or younger sees them studiously setting aperture, exposure length and film speed by hand for each roll / shot (applicable setting for applicable photographic event). To these students (most of whom aren't art majors, or set foot in a photo class where there is more emphasis on the subject than load / shoot / develop), this whole perspective seems antiquated when they can pull out a tiny-sensor'd camera, shoot, and put up their debaucheries on facebook for all to see.

Perhaps then, I'm 25 physically but a bit closer to those in their 40s and 50s from a photographic perspective. I've been shooting film since I was 3 or 4 (started on a basic point and shoot), got my first SLR at the age of 9 (a K1000), and developing since 10 or 11. The digital camera I have is my first and I didn't acquire it until June 2010, and that was because my girlfriend felt that digital was far superior to film (i've since reformed that somewhat with my ADOX CMS 20 shots :D ). Feeling a solid mass that you know has decades of stories, and decades more to write, the overall solidity and the authoritative "kathunk", combined with being the artist through setting the aforementioned aspects of the shot, and even being able to pick how you want your picture to look within an ISO (grainy, smooth, classic, modern, etc.) are all things missing out in the younger group's idea of "photography".

Photography is the objective form of painting, you're still the artist, but your easel and canvas freeze the moment rather than you freezing it. - Me.

• Like 3

Results so far, though not statistically significant, are not surprising given the likely correlation to income and wealth accumulation for the 40-69 crowd, the same group that has probably used film Leicas for some time now. The rich young-uns are busy using their cell phones and various mass produced cameras.

If we had significantly more data, it would be interesting to see if their were differences by country.

Jeff

ONE teenager only at this moment !!! Nicole ??

And the well known "Old Man"... maybe isn't so old.... :)

No Luigi, the teenager belongs to me. He owns a very fine chrome M6 with a vintage Leitz Summaron 35mm f2.8 lens. The 'old man' in question (I think) is very ancient indeed. Probably too old for this poll. Probably as old as a hill, and he is very wise too.

Regards

Alex