Leica M6 problem?

sebii

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I just bought a Leica M6 on eBay and put my first roll of film through it. Now, I don't know if it's me or the camera, but for some reason the negatives came out with large gaps between frames or with exposures on top of each other. Is something wrong with this camera? I'd never loaded a film Leica before but followed the instructions exacty, even tried different methods on Youtube. Anyone with any experience? Should I send it back?

Thanks for your time guys and gals.

If the seller is a trader you are in a stronger position. If they are a private individual then I wouldn't take it for granted that ebay will resolve the problem for you.

Firstly - if you haven't already done so, contact the seller right now, via ebay, to advise them that you think there might be a problem with the camera. Say that you are testing it with another roll of film and will then advise further. See what if any response they give.

It is possible that the camera was working fine last time it was used, and the fault has just occurred or even happened during shipping.

Hopefully you have an honest seller and they will be as keen as you are to resolve the matter.

I bought an M2 a few years ago, also described as in full working order etc., and it arrived with a shutter fault. My seller offered a refund or to cover most of the cost of a CLA. I opted for the latter as it was a very nice example and I would have the benefit of the whole camera being serviced for a small additional amount - you could propose such a solution if you want to keep the camera.

1) it is possible for Leica M film transport mechanisms to get loose and sloppy - leading to uneven frame spacing - and need servicing.

2) it is also possible to end up with a misload where the toothed sprocket spool is only intermittently catching the holes in the film (even in a properly working camera).

On your second roll, I would recommend blowing off the first 5 frames or so by doing several practice loads, so you can see, and get a feel for, correct loading. Once you are sure you're doing it right, then shoot the rest of the roll normally. If you still get bad spacing, at least you've eliminated a variable.

The loading hints at Leica FAQ — How to load film M were invaluable to me when I started with Ms 10 years ago.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2) it is also possible to end up with a misload where the toothed sprocket spool is only intermittently catching the holes in the film (even in a properly working camera).

This can be one reason for frames beeing on top of each other but not for big gaps between frames.

Juergen

This can be one reason for frames beeing on top of each other but not for big gaps between frames.

Juergen

That was my thought also. I think on the M6, there is at least one nylon gear in the film transport gear train, which can have teeth sheared off it but as you say, that would lead to superimposed frames. I wonder if there is a limit stop on the lever arm wind, which is either out of adjustment or broken off? Does the lever arm have a "gritty" feel at the end of its travel? I know it is often said that after the M4 (not -2 or -P), which was the last M to have all brass gears, the wind on mechanism was neither as smooth or as reliable.

Wilson

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thankyou for your help. Sadly, the second roll I got back had all the frames stacked on top of each other. About an eighth of every frame was exposed on the next. About three frames had the correct 2mm gap.

Thankfully, the seller Marc Miller has agreed to pay for any repairs needed at Leica. I am just confirming that he is willing to pay postage (astronomical with insurance), and then we will be all set.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Sebastian

Sebastian,

Even if your seller does not pay the shipping and insurance, you would have to think that after a Leica rebuild, you will end up with a much better and guaranteed camera than you could have expected from a 10 to 15 year old M6. You will have achieved a good result.

I suspect at some time, a film has jammed and some has "gorilla'd" the wind on. I keep telling my kids and my wife (without any noticeable effect), that if something is not working as you expect or feels wrong, stop and investigate why. Don't just carry on or apply more force, as it will almost certainly end in tears and usually it is me picking up the bill.

Wilson

Sebastian,

Even if your seller does not pay the shipping and insurance, you would have to think that after a Leica rebuild, you will end up with a much better and guaranteed camera than you could have expected from a 10 to 15 year old M6. You will have achieved a good result.

That is exactly what I thought.

I do hope the seller doesn't change his mind when he gets the bill. :eek:

Juergen