Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH thoughts?

animefx

Overall excellent you say but then you pan the lens as one of the worst in the Leica lineup. OK, why do you keep the little bugger if you do not like it?

I think what he intended to say was that for a newer design lens and with firmware correction there should not be any color problems around the edges of the frame. And for the current production lenses that exhibit this behavior, the little Elmarit is the worst offender. I do not think he intended to say that the lens is the worst one Leica produces or that it isn't a valuable lens to have in your kit.

I own the lens. I like. And he's right about the color shifts around the edges of the frame. Despite that problem (which is more exaggerated than actually is the case), I would not part with the lens.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A friend of mine uses this lens almost exclusively (sometimes he uses also 35/1.4), You can take a look here: http://www.mariuszjaniszewski.pl/

28/2.8 is great lens especially for modern look b&w - very high contrast, great sharpness, great dimensions of the lens itself (pre-asph versions are bigger, but definitelly not too big for comfortable use).

Edited by Franek_

The 28mm/2.8 does show strong color corner casts on my M9-P, easily correctable with Lightroom DNG Flat Field plugin and reference photos of white (I use a credit card size piece of white plexiglas for my interleaved correction images). On M8 the 28mm's color issues issues won't be as bad due to the narrower view of the sensor, nor is it a problem on my newer M-P Typ 240 camera.

• 1 month later...