X1 and B&H

brucek

I just received an e-mail from B&H saying that they've deactivated the "Notify When in Stock" option for the X1.

Ditto. I've included the B&H note (below) for those who are interested; this doesn't bode well for X1 availability. Glad mine arrived this week (I think)...

B&H Photo-Video is continuously seeking ways to make your experience with us as pleasant and efficient as possible. One way we sought to accomplish this was our "Notify When in Stock" option for products that are not yet available or temporarily out of stock. For the majority of our items this system has worked well, and our customers have informed us that they appreciate this service.

Unfortunately, this system has not proven to be effective for a small group of high-demand items which are very difficult to acquire and keep on hand. Some time ago, you asked us to notify you when the following item would become available:

Leica - LEDX1 USA

X1 Digital Compact Camera With Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH. Lens

We regret that we will not be able to do so and we have deactivated the "Notify When in Stock" option for this item.

We understand that this is a disappointment and an inconvenience. Please accept our apologies. We are also sorry that the manufacturer or our supplier has been unable to meet the demand for this item, and we appreciate your patience.

Please contact us if you wish to comment on this situation.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.

Thank you,

The B&H Web Team

Ditto. I've included the B&H note (below) for those who are interested; this doesn't bode well for X1 availability. Glad mine arrived this week (I think)...

B&H Photo-Video is continuously seeking ways to make your experience with us as pleasant and efficient as possible. One way we sought to accomplish this was our "Notify When in Stock" option for products that are not yet available or temporarily out of stock. For the majority of our items this system has worked well, and our customers have informed us that they appreciate this service.

Unfortunately, this system has not proven to be effective for a small group of high-demand items which are very difficult to acquire and keep on hand. Some time ago, you asked us to notify you when the following item would become available:

Leica - LEDX1 USA

X1 Digital Compact Camera With Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH. Lens

We regret that we will not be able to do so and we have deactivated the "Notify When in Stock" option for this item.

We understand that this is a disappointment and an inconvenience. Please accept our apologies. We are also sorry that the manufacturer or our supplier has been unable to meet the demand for this item, and we appreciate your patience.

Please contact us if you wish to comment on this situation.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.

Thank you,

The B&H Web Team

i called them this morning- before this note surfaced.

the salesman i spoke to said they wouldnt have any for "several weeks"

i called a local leica dealer (i didnt even know he was a dealer until i went to the leica website) and spoke with the owner. whether this is true or not- i cannot say- i can say this is what he told me

leica initially allocated x-1's and m9's based on pre-orders- after those were shipped they were limiting shipments to "1 or 2" per dealer to be "fair to all the dealers". He also said he was receiving 1 today (which was "spoken for") he also said he was getting another 1 "soon" which i could speak for by putting a deposit down.....- he wouldn't tell me when "soon" was....so i declined to put a deposit down- it didnt "feel right" - i felt i was "getting sold"

that doesn't sound "right" to me..but it is what he said....

I got one too. Real odd considering they're a HUGE dealer.

I am sure B&H is a huge Leica web dealer but not so at their NYC Super Store. For those who have never been there, they have large, dedicated counters for the big guns: Canon, Nikon, etc. shored up with a wall of DSLR lenses. No such counter for Leica cameras though. :(

jpmac, there most certainly is a Leica section. It's primarily Ms though, and their used section has a ton of older Leicas.

jsrockit - I know they have a decent amount of used Leica's but I didn't notice a Leica island counter. Must have missed it.

They have a Leica section as was pointed out and if you're interested they will trot out a camera for you to hold and try.

I think there are two reasons B&H don't have a Leica 'island'. One Leica doesn't have enough offerings to support and island. And, two, for security reasons (even though they're well-staffed). Having $7000 cameras and (in particular) their equally pricey optics on display for anyone to grab particularly during busy holiday seasons when it's like a Moroccan bazaar in there are not anything any dealer would feel very comfortable about.

I got my X1 in early March from Optics Planet after 2-3 weeks, with a weekly update from their customer's svce person. The major complaint I had was their immediate swipe for the full amount on my credit card which prompted me to contact Leica Camera USA in Allendale NJ. Leica promptly eMailed me & to assure me that my order was properly processed and within following two weeks I got my sweet babe, FedEx'd to my home.

I got my X1 in early March from Optics Planet after 2-3 weeks, with a weekly update from their customer's svce person. The major complaint I had was their immediate swipe for the full amount on my credit card which prompted me to contact Leica Camera USA in Allendale NJ. Leica promptly eMailed me & to assure me that my order was properly processed and within following two weeks I got my sweet babe, FedEx'd to my home.

Within the law afaik... Straight Dope Message Board - View Single Post - How long can a company wait after billing my CC to ship my goods? although outside the amazon and major reseller standards of 'charge when shipped'. ymmv.

Within the law afaik... Straight Dope Message Board - View Single Post - How long can a company wait after billing my CC to ship my goods? although outside the amazon and major reseller standards of 'charge when shipped'. ymmv.

Thanks for the feedback. My point was to illustrate my strategy in selecting the right retailer for the purchase of my X1. After reading a lot of lamentations on this Forum on its availability in the US market I realized its scarcity and that is the reason why I picked Optics Planet. Being is a high volume of Leica products, not necessarily of photo equipment per say; undoubtfully they got purchasing clout at Leica Camera USA for they are a high volume dealer for other Leica optical products, i.e. binoculars & scopes besides stocking M9's & S2's as well. Very luckily I got my X1 without having to wait that long.

Edited by eduardoho