New Summarit 50mm on the M8

steinzeug

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These pictures have been taken with M8 and Summilux 50/1.4 asph, summarit 50/2 and summilus 50mm/1.4 pre-asph mellenium. F2.8

...Full resolution images are here: lenses - a set on Flickr

Good idea thanks but i can't seem to find out your full resolution images. Could you provide another link? Also i guess you mean Summarit 50/2.5, not Summicron 50/2 right?

Very close..)

1st - Summilux pre-asph

2nd - Asph

3rd - Summarit

The images look practically the same. Minimal differences in overall color balance are, most likely, due to inconsistent M8's white balance and exposure. When it comes to resolution, DOF, overall look and bokeh @ f2.8, all three lenses produce images of the same quality.

Presently I use M8 for color photography less frequently due to its color shift issues (I much prefer Olympus E-3 colors), poor jpeg processing and rough handling of highlights, but when I use it, I use it with Summarit.

I cannot see any differences, maybes its just my eyes. They all look identical...

Agree, both resolution/sharpness and colour sat seem pretty much identical

= this must mean that either

these lenses are far better than the M8 sensor is capable of showing

or, at 2.8 the lenses perform as well as each other

Edited by steinzeug

Thank you. I don't mind.)

My point is that Summarit should not be treated as a second class lens. It is slower, less expensive, but even wide opened it is as good as any much more expensive leica's lenses.

+1, the Summarit performs up there with the big boys. Forget what Ken R says about it. :)

Thanks for all the great answers!

Found this too:

Summarit05082007

but once again the quality differences between the summarits and the crons are only hinted at, but never really explained in practice

Still would be great to hear opnions from more Summarit-50 users, especially those who know their crons and M8´s!

Your link to Puts' article does not appear to have the more recent section. Note the added information and the verdict at bottom here...Summarit range

Jeff

Your link to Puts' article does not appear to have the more recent section. Note the added information and the verdict at bottom here...Summarit range

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Difficult to really know what exactly what Puts means when he says:

Optically the Summarit 50mm is a bit restrained by the drive for compactness: a classical double-gauss design may pose its own challenges when one wishes to create a short optical cell.

Since starting this thread I have bought myself a Summarit 2.5/50 and I am very very happy with it. I havn´t had a chance to use it that much, but apart from its great build quality and compactness and easy focusing, it also has an endearing image quality, colour and bokeh are very natural and its sharp (but in a different/hard to pin-point way to the Summicron)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by steinzeug

Difficult to really know what exactly what Puts means when he says:

Optically the Summarit 50mm is a bit restrained by the drive for compactness: a classical double-gauss design may pose its own challenges when one wishes to create a short optical cell.

It seems perfectly clear to me. He's already made it clear that for all round optical performance he thinks the Summarit is as good as the Summicron. In the passage you quote he's just making the uncontroversial point that if they had made the Summarit bigger they could have made it even better - but more expensive.

It seems perfectly clear to me. He's already made it clear that for all round optical performance he thinks the Summarit is as good as the Summicron. In the passage you quote he's just making the uncontroversial point that if they had made the Summarit bigger they could have made it even better - but more expensive.

Thankyou for the clarification.

Edited by steinzeug