New Summarit 50mm on the M8

steinzeug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

GAS.? lol pretty much sums it.

The 90mm served as an excellent portrait lens as already mentioned in this thread. I was right.

Of the 4 lenses on either the M8 or R-D1, the 50mm is the least used lens. I've considered selling it a few times but I do still shoot with film occasionally. I travel 80% of the time with the M8 with both the 35 and 75 attached to my lens carrier. If I carry anything else, its just optional.. just in case.

Interesting how people differ. I shot for years with a 35 'cron on a M2, and was very happy with only that lens. I got a 28 2.8 for the M8, and its .... OK. Good lens, just not quite magical.

Had a 35 with the M8, didn't care for the field of view. Have a CV 75, like that, a 90 - which I don't much care for, and a 15 CV (like a lot). But my favorite of all the lenses on the M8, by far, is the 50 'cron. I don't know exactly why but the bokeh and the speed, and the size just are magic on the camera. To the point that I would not want the M9 because I'd lose that relationship, and I don' t think a 75 on a M9 would be the same.

Funny how these things work out. I'm not a fan of short tele lenses, never shot with them before, but this one seems wonderful.

Geoff

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to know.. and I hope so. I guess a little bit of me just doesn't want to see plastic nor rubber on what I am used to seeing as a complete metal build (and feel)

Going back to the original question:

Does anyone have any more opinions about the Summarit 2.5 (50mm) on the M8?

More sample photos would be nice and to hear more opnions by users.

Is this just an "ok" lens or does it have some stellar qualities, and if so which?

Edited by steinzeug

If there is a question mark after the thread's title, my answer is NO.

A happy owner of a collapsible Summicron without front lens scratches hat a lens optically at least on par with this one. All Cosina 50mm lenses, that I know of, regardless of their brand name, except the Noctons and the the C-Sonar, outperform it optically. So do all non-collapsible Leica 50mm lenses (except for the Noctis, but that's a different story), that I know of, not being a know-it-all at all :) .

Personal experience: got one on a Friday, drove into town to return it on Saturday, because I did not take my laptop along. Should mention: yes, I buy photo gear on the net, if it's 2nd hand. New only from the (unfortunately fewer and fewer) stores. We'll be missing them when the last one closed.

Going back to the original question:

Does anyone have any more opinions about the Summarit 2.5 (50mm) on the M8?

More sample photos would be nice and to hear more opnions by users.

Sounding like a broken record.

What exactly would you like to hear to quantify "ok" versus "stellar"? Your question is subjective but yet your expecting some sort of hard quantifiable fact for an answer. MTF charts are available... for that purpose.

Sounding like a broken record.

What exactly would you like to hear to quantify "ok" versus "stellar"? Your question is subjective but yet your expecting some sort of hard quantifiable fact for an answer. MTF charts are available... for that purpose.

There is a shortage of reviews of this lens and very few images to see.

MTF charts are one thing, boring, users opnions are interessting.

Subjective, of course it is, what else could it be?

but it is a way to begin to learn about the qualities (or not) in practice of a relatively new lens.

The question was also asked in relation to use on the M8.

For instance: some have indicated (incl. MTF charts) that the lens can be

a little soft wide open at the edges but on par with the best Crons in the center,

on an M8 (due to crop factor) the edges wouldn´t matter = the potential to be

a compact stellar performer on the M8?

Edited by steinzeug

apart from the extra 0.5F stop, i am perfectly happy with the new summarit, however the extra 0.5 or 1F stop is very useful in low light, the best thing I found it's the lens is extremely sharp from F2.5, I attached two photos taken by the early 50mm Lux non-asph and my new summarit, you can judge by yourself.

The lux is taken at f1.4, the summarit is F2.5, of course the lux non-asph version is already very impressive when wide open.

Hi!

thanks for your great test crops!

The summarit looks like it is doing a really good job!

Have you had any negative experiences with this lens? softness in the outer edges in low light (from one rapport)

and how would you compare this to the summicron 50 (bar the stop difference) ?

The compact size is very attractive.

Edited by steinzeug

50mm Summarit-M is fine lens, optically little bit better than Summicron-M, also tab is a good add.

Great to hear.

Can you elucidate (subjectively or not) on its optical performance?

(trying to understand the qualities of this lens)

thanks.

50mm Summarit-M is fine lens, optically little bit better than Summicron-M.
Just out of interest, where did you read that?

It is the first time anybody has claimed it outperforms the Summicron afaik. Nevertheless the Summarit is a fine lens.

Here´s a couple of 100% crops form this afternoon with the summarit 50mm

no postprod. just jpeg export from PhS.

Not bad at 2.5?

the summarit 50 is significantly smaller than the cron and this might suit you for a street/walkabout lens to slip the camera under a coat with minimal bulging.

I have the 35 and it is probably my favourite lens. As for it being inferior in build, the focus feels a little lighter than some other Leica lenses, but it feels as solid as can be and the smoothest lens I have ever used bar none. It is extremely sharp but also extremely smooth. Bokeh is beyond criticism and the overall look juts feels wonderfully balanced.

The 50 summarit has some focus shift but this may not matter much in general use. Puts and Reid both mention it.

As for speed, if you cannot answer the question for yourself (as to whether you need more speed) you either don't need it, or don't need it yet! If you like to shoot people a lot, as portraits, I would say a faster lens would be handy. If you like to shoot street or environmental portraits, I would say f2.5 is plenty fast enough. If you like to shoot inside dark buildings with no flash I would say f1.4 all the way. Personally I shoot mostly between F4 and F11, generally f5.6-8, but sometimes around the F2/2.5 mark when pushed. For indoor stuff I have some much faster lenses on the way, but would not want to carry those everywhere if I could help it.

The 50 Summarit is the same size as the 35 so expect a nice compact package with great handling.

If you're so much in doubt about the Summarit why don't you consider a Planar 50/2? Same optical quality as the Summicron, according to Erwin Puts, and much less prone to flare. I'm not sure about, but should also come for slightly cheaper. Building quality on a decent level too.

Cheers,

Bruno

These pictures have been taken with M8 and Summilux 50/1.4 asph, summarit 50/2 and summilus 50mm/1.4 pre-asph mellenium. F2.8

I'm curious whether anyone is able to place the pictures/lenses in the correct order or not.

Which image is more pleasing? )

Full resolution images are here:

lenses - a set on Flickr

These pictures have been taken with M8 and Summilux 50/1.4 asph, summarit 50/2 and summilus 50mm/1.4 pre-asph mellenium. F2.8

I'm curious whether anyone is able to place the pictures/lenses in the correct order or not.

Which image is more pleasing? )

Full resolution images are here:

lenses - a set on Flickr

Point taken! good glass is good glass.

However this thread was about the new Summarit 50mm.