Positive experience from Leica USA

steve70

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I got my M9 from Willoughby Photo in NY in mid December. Since December is a rather busy time for my business I had little to get to know it well.

In mid January I took the M9 to a social function and experienced shutter problems.

(See my previous posts under steve70" Found out on this forum that this has been an issue with the M8, or at least some have experienced it. Sent camera back to Leica in the US, they had it for 3 weeks and returned it with out being repaired. Reason given was that they were not able to reproduce problem and that they had not heard of this problem with the M9, even though they admitted that they had heard of it with the M8.

As one can imagine, I was rather upset!. I contacted Mr Horn, President of Leica USA, also a LHS member, and explained the situation. He placed me on hold and verified that indeed the service department returned my camera without being serviced, and

He promptly offered to exchange the body for a new one. I returned the camera body to his attention via UPS overnight, but as this was on a Thursday, they were not able to send out the replacement till Friday after first receiving mine back; quite understandable.

I received the new body this Tuesday, and it is working flawlessly!

Thank you Mr. Horn!

Guest ccmsosse
Roger Horn really is the best. Good sense of humor too.

I am impressed that you have access to him so easily. Being new to the forum and Leica I have had no significant issues but must wonder for the future.

I just sent mine in for RF adjustment. Kind of bummed out really. I waited for months to get it, then it shows up and the RF is out of alignment. They quoted me 4 weeks to adjust it, along with 3 of my lenses. I enclosed a letter pleading for faster repair. It went out yesterday, so we'll see....

Well, I was diplomatic, but firm. I not only stated my case, but also stated that

after having invested not only the initial $6995.00 for the body, but also the cost of the lenses purchased to go with the body constituted a significant financial outlay coming close to, if not equal to the price of a new Mercedes automobile. And after this kind of expenditure a customer should expect a certain level of service and responsibility on the part of the distributer and manufacturer.

Besides, if one remembers the old adage, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"