Hiking; small bag with belt loop on rucksack

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am on a list for M9. For hiking with outdoor rucksack, I would like to bring the camera in a small bag, fasten with a belt loop, on the side of the rucksack. Any suggestions for a suitable bag? I am thinking of M9+small lens, like Leica 35 Summarit or 50 Sumicron; the rest of the gear can be in the backpack.

Something like this looks ok: Lowepro Terraclime 50.

Thanks!

I use a small sling bag worn in front but most have some buckles or other obstructions on the shoulder or back. The most suitable is the velocity 6 x

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm . I am still looking for a simpler smaller lighter one. A sling bag can carry the camera in front with or without a backpack. Easy accessible, safe, quite comfortable with one Camera plus 2 extra lenses but not for big weights.

Guest ccmsosse
Hello,

I am on a list for M9. For hiking with outdoor rucksack, I would like to bring the camera in a small bag, fasten with a belt loop, on the side of the rucksack. Any suggestions for a suitable bag? I am thinking of M9+small lens, like Leica 35 Summarit or 50 Sumicron; the rest of the gear can be in the backpack.

Something like this looks ok: Lowepro Terraclime 50.

Thanks!

I happen to own the Lowepro Terraclime 50 and use it for the Lumix GF1 + 20mm pancake - almost too tight for the GF1 + 14-45mm lens - I have not used it for the M9 as I think it's too "flimsy".

I recently did a long way walking with my M8 and three lenses. For me is very important how you distribute the weight to be balanced. Otherwise your back will be destroyed. You need to carry your trekking backpack with the extra photography gear in a separate bag and it has to be quick access. The best option is a beltpack in the front. You can add it to your backpack buying extra quick release buckles. You add the quick realease buckles to the belt of the backpack and to the belt of the beltbag. You use them as they were just one. This way will be much more comfortable when walking and you can separate them and use just the beltbag when you leave the backpack anywhere. In my case, I used a samsonite camera accessorie modified. The size was just perfect (29x12x15cm) I could set my M8+50mm cron plus a 28mm elmarit and the 15mmCV. Now, trekking in Mallorca, I set my M9+50mm cron plus my 18mm elmar, the 28mm elmarit and the 75mm cron. Is very important that the beltbag is not too high and not too thick. This way it won't disturb your legs and and body. That's because I used this samsonite camera accessorie.

Even walking and hiking many kms and with a lot of weight, I felt comfortable and I had the camera and lenses ready in just a couple of seconds. Here you may see the pictures I did:

Zenfolio | Miguel Massanet Amer | El Camino de Santiago

Cheers.

My own solution for long distance backpacking has been one of those small "zoom cases". Mine has a divider flap that creates an optional lower compartment, big enough for a 90mm lens. The camera with one other lens (in my case a 50) went in from above as usual, nose down.

You put the thing on diagonally, over one shoulder, before you put the big pack on. The sternum strap of the regular pack keeps the zoom case from swinging. The camera is well protected, even in case of a fall, and still immediately available. I have hiked for weeks in roadless country with this outfit without any problems or discomfort.

The old man from the Royal Trail

Dear all,

thanks for the feedback!

As a starting point, I am somewhat hesitant to a solution with the strap of the camera bag going diagonally over one shoulder, since the (camera) strap will then be lying under the harness-system of the backpack. I agree that such a solution is (very) stable, which is good, but I also imagine the potential for a soar shoulder after a long day, particularly with heavy backpack (tent, etc.). The only way to find out is to test. Which I might be able to do in the weekend - and report back.

I am grateful learning about experiences from other Leica-hikers as well, so please add a word or two!

....since the (camera) strap will then be lying under the harness-system of the backpack.

That is where it is supposed to be. I guess I only spend a month a year tramping backcountry and a few weeks a year in back of nowhere asia carrying carrying six hours, fourteen hours a day. The last place you want your camera bag is round your gut like a belt or clipped off to the side of your pack where you have no control over it. Small rectangular flat messenger, with flat strap with no padding is the go if you can find it. I cut off the clips and swivels, it goes on flat and doesnt twist but keep adjustment for its ride hight.

Dear all,

thanks for the feedback!

As a starting point, I am somewhat hesitant to a solution with the strap of the camera bag going diagonally over one shoulder, since the (camera) strap will then be lying under the harness-system of the backpack. I agree that such a solution is (very) stable, which is good, but I also imagine the potential for a soar shoulder after a long day, particularly with heavy backpack (tent, etc.). The only way to find out is to test. Which I might be able to do in the weekend - and report back.

I am grateful learning about experiences from other Leica-hikers as well, so please add a word or two!

I can assure you that carrying my camera gear this way for many days, under a fairly heavy long-distance backpack, caused no trouble at all. What you have to worry about is a badly adjusted or loaded pack. I have seen cases that would inevitably lead to back trouble, or even damage.

The same old man