How many film cameras do people still own and use?

SteveYork

I had collected so much screwmount equipment that I was at the point of having trouble deciding which to shoot with what. Last year I was experimenting a lot and I took some pictures I really liked with my IIIg, IIIf, II, II, G2, and R3A. I recently sold them all except the IIIf and Leicavit. I also sold a few lenses but I still have a set of 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm with brightline finders. Now all I have to do is decide among them. But I do feel better because now it seems there are a lot fewer decisions to make. :)

i used to use a nikon fm2, and an fm3a. since i got my m6, i haven't even been tempted to shoot those film cameras. i mean, why shoot nikons when you got a leica?

Cuz it's a different approach to a shooting subject. Sometimes a use a rangefinder, sometimes I use a SLR...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cuz it's a different approach to a shooting subject. Sometimes a use a rangefinder, sometimes I use a SLR...

ok, so i didn't pick words carefully. why would i shoot a nikon, when i can shoot with a leica. i haven't had any desire to shoot with the nikon films. if i want to shoot slr, i shoot digital. i have been shooting film a lot more than digital this last 6 months.

Two MPs and a few lenses: 35/2 asph; 50/1.4 asph; 90/2.8 and 135/4

A Leicaflex SL and SL2 with 28/2.8; 50/2 (w/ extension tubes); 180/3.4 apo

I sold off or am in the process of selling some surplus bodies and lenses in the last couple of months. I have an SL and 21mm Elmarit M on that auction site.

For me the problem is becoming the cost of developing since I don't do my own. Maybe I should learn.

I'll probably sell off the SLR stuff, because I don't see myself using it that much. It was an interesting experiment, and in some respects I like them better then the rangefinders. The viewfinders on those old Leicaflex are truly beautiful. And the cameras are so easy and comfortable to use in my big hands. But I'm stuck with circa. 1970's lenses and I can tell a difference.

And I'll probably sell one of the rangefinders if I decide to jump onto the M8/M9 bandwagon. I just added another MP as a back up for a trip.

I suspect I'll always keep the MP which I've owned from the start. Too many good pictures were captured with the camera.

2 X M3

2 X M7 / 0,58/0,72

Nikon FM3a

Nikon F3/T

Nikon F6

Nikon FE

Yashica Electro GS/GSN

Yashica Electro GX

Hasselblad 503CW

One of the M3's is as new and I'm only using it twice a year, indoor. All other cameras are loaded with film and are used on daily basis.

Edited by Penzes

Om1n

Nikon F80

Hasselblad 500 C/M

Leica M4-P .........and yes they have all been used used since September,except for the Leica which I have only just aquired this week, although I have a roll awaiting the darkroom. We have been actively encouraged to use all mediums at Uni, its amazing how many film users there are, although I would be the first to admit most my work is now digital ;)

I can't seem to get serious about digital. I've been dazzled by some of the results from my friends DSLR's but it doesn't motivate me in the same way that film does. Black and white is my choice and I love the results it gives me. Film just feels real in a way that digital doesn't to me.

Dad bought me an Olympus OM10 when I was 17 (and the world was young). I used it exclusively for 20 years until I changed it for an OM1n which I still use the majority of the time. I have a Bronica ETRS too.

The reason I'm here is that I've finally achieved a long standing ambition on a limited budget and purchased an M3 with 5cm Summicron.

I feel no urge to change. Although I do carry a compact digital when I'm travelling just to stick in my pocket if I'm in a dodgy area.

Glenn.

For sentimental reasons I can't get rid of my Canon A1 and FTb. The other camera's are a bunch of Leica M's that I use. Usually at least two of them are loaded with color negative film. I don't have a digital and I still enjoy film very much. The attention is kept focused on taking the pictures and I don't have to look at the screen all the time to know if it is ok or not. I usually have my negatives scanned as well, so that I can use them digitally as well. I hope to continue like this for a while, and I kind of enjoy thinking which set I shall be packing for a specific trip or holiday.

Lex