Why not an "I love my M7" thread?

Pedro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the reasons for my decreasing visits to this section ( and quite a few other places - for that matter! ) is the abundance of " I love my XYZ" - and other such banalities! (e.g.'digital cameras do not take 'photographs' ).......sorry! I'm feeling a little cynical tonight:(

David.

:) Thanks for raising the moral! :) Let's see it!!! :)

Hi Pedro, Here's my pride & joy. Best, John S.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

István, beautiful photos. What´s the silver stuff on your M7 body (other than the lens)?

John, thanks for showing your camera! Whenever you have time please post a photo of it with the black lens. We do not see silver bodies with black lenses on that often.

István, beautiful photos. What´s the silver stuff on your M7 body (other than the lens)?

John, thanks for showing your camera! Whenever you have time please post a photo of it with the black lens. We do not see silver bodies with black lenses on that often.

Hi Pedro, Here are two photos; one with and the other without. Best wishes, John S.

• Like 1

I think this could be the reason why their is so few Leica M7 threads. I believe they are a hit & miss. I'd rather have a good Nikon FM3A that was made in Japan that has an automatic setting & if the batteries go the WHOLE of the camera is functional, unlike the M7.

LV2

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but of course one bad M7 does not mean the design is a lemon.

I have an early M7, that I bought when they came out. It's seen hundreds of rolls and taken a fair amount of abuse, including being dropped, desert heat and dust, freezing winters in Europe and downpours everywhere. Overall it has been as reliable as my other M bodies (M2/M4/M6ttl). The finder was upgraded to the no flare type and the eyepiece sealed. It still has the old type DX reader, but so far it's been cooperating. Other than the upgrades, there have been no problems. I'm getting about 70 rolls per set of batteries. My solution to the reliance on batteries is to keep a spare set taped to the strap... and a second mechanical M -body in the bag... ;-)

I only have two complaints about the M7.

- I wish it had the frameline mask from the MP3 (1 meter), but that could probably be solved with a trip to Solms.

Framing accuracy with anything longer than a 35mm stinks and in this respect the M7 (or anything from the M6 forward) don't hold a candle to the older bodies.

- I wish there was an AE lock button on the rear of the camera. Not going to happen unless someone like DAG

can rig up something custom.

I don't use the AE very often, but when I do it really is a shot saver; making certain kinds of grab shots possible or allowing me to get a proper exposure with people who can't even wait for you to take a moment for a reading.

I hate to say it and don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I think the reason why there is no 'I love my M7' thread is that most M7 buyers I have encountered are either pros or serious photographers and they are too busy shooting or not really concerned about the fondling aspect of owning Leica gear. The M7 seems to attract a different type of buyer than the MP does.

Edited by thrid

...and other such banalities! (e.g.'digital cameras do not take 'photographs' ).......sorry! I'm feeling a little cynical tonight:(

David.

Oh, but digital cameras do take 'photographs'. With film cameras photographer take photographs, not camera...

• 2 weeks later...

Love my M7, the mechanical side of an MP is tempting, surely, but the little word Auto is quite the convenience lure.

Pic taken at the Amalfi coast by the way, a day trip from Naples (where nobody would want to steal the M7 ;-)

• Like 1