Why not an "I love my M7" thread?

Pedro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A M7... with quasi MP look!!! Great idea - that way you get M7 (optional) auto-exposure with improved look.

Any reason why someone would prefer an MP over that?

Yes, because the proportions are all wrong (too tall), the shutter speed dial is too big and turns in the wrong direction, has plastic doo dads on the sides of the top plate, has an undesired auto-exposure, and it doesn't have full functionality even without a battery. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, because the proportions are all wrong (too tall), the shutter speed dial is too big and turns in the wrong direction, has plastic doo dads on the sides of the top plate, has an undesired auto-exposure, and it doesn't have full functionality even without a battery. ;)
And here I thought the other M's were too short, with a shutter dial too small turning in the wrong direction and no autoexposure, but what plasitic doo dads are you referring to?

4025518083_3b1ce428b0.jpg

I invested in a new M7 from a reputable gigantic camera store in NYC. I was most excited. As I gently put the lens on the camera my heart began to race. I stepped out side put the camera to my eye to capture a moment in time, but the camera would not fire, & the meter was not working.

I stepped back inside & tested the batteries. They were fine, but i installed another new pair & tested them as well, all good.

I checked it again. Nothing. I called the camera house, they could not figure it out either.

I called a reputable Leica Tech. in NY state. The person said that they would not invest in an M7. I asked why? They said because that the techs. in Solms only check some of the cameras, not like in the good ole' days, when the dream was alive.

This person spent over 1/2 an hour trying to figure it out, new batteries, the mechanical shutter speeds would not work either. Nothing she told me to send it back for another, or get my card charges reversed. I happily invested in a mint M2 from a reputable seller in Austria & have been a happy leicaphile ever since. Thats why the M2's, M3's, M4's, & M6, (classics), have so many "Love My M threads.... They work right pretty much most of the time.

I then found out that the majority of the parts & main-frame our made in Portugal. Some parts are made in Solms, (not many). Hmmm even though the camera engraving says Leica Camera GMBH, or Leica Camera Germany, or Leica Camera Made in Germany.

I found the latter is true.

I think this could be the reason why their is so few Leica M7 threads. I believe they are a hit & miss. I'd rather have a good Nikon FM3A that was made in Japan that has an automatic setting & if the batteries go the WHOLE of the camera is functional, unlike the M7.

LV2

Edited by leicavirgin2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's true that the M7 is almost completely made in Portugal.

Like the MP and the M9. All of them are (almost) completely made in Portugal.

Guess what, the Rs, too.

In fact the plant started producing Leica cameras in 1973.

So what?

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 2

I invested in a new M7 from a reputable gigantic camera store in NYC. I was most excited. As I gently put the lens on the camera my heart began to race. I stepped out side put the camera to my eye to capture a moment in time, but the camera would not fire, & the meter was not working.

Just try again after moving the rewind lever and slightly touching the release button. You see the meter-leds in the finder? You can release now?

It's true that the M7 is almost completely made in Portugal.

Like the MP and the M9. All of them are (almost) completely made in Portugal.

Guess what, the Rs, too.

*In fact the plant stated producing Leica cameras in 1973.*

So what?

According to author & photographer Gunther Osterloh, ("Leica M-Advanced Photo School", page 339, paragraph #4), the company began operation in Portugal in the year 1975.

Up until 1989, according to my tech. in NY state,... The DREAM was alive; According to the tech., the dream died when LEICA Camera was TAKEN OVER by a Cement Firm. I do not know the date. I did not ask her.

In addition, this same person told me that some employees became very depressed when the company had a joint venture with Minolta in 1973. This person, (my tech. & many others), was a former LEICA EMPLOYEE turned ace technician.

I do not know if this is true. I just love my M2, (1962-Lever), M3, (1961) & M4, (1967), ALL made in WETZLAR, GERMANY. :D

LV2

Edited by leicavirgin2

... the dream died when LEICA Camera was TAKEN OVER by a Cement Firm. I do not know the date. I did not ask her.

In addition, this same person told me that some employees became very depressed when the company had a joint venture with Minolta in 1973. This person, (my tech. & many others), was a former LEICA EMPLOYEE turned ace technician.

I do not know if this is true. I just love my M2, (1962-Lever), M3, (1961) & M4, (1967), ALL made in WETZLAR, GERMANY. :D

LV2

I see your point... build a New World Order... seizing lebensraum for pure aryan cameras... superiority of the race...

• Like 1

I think this could be the reason why their is so few Leica M7 threads. I believe they are a hit & miss. I'd rather have a good Nikon FM3A that was made in Japan that has an automatic setting & if the batteries go the WHOLE of the camera is functional, unlike the M7.

Ha! Thanks for the funny post.

You bought a bum sample. Did you return it? I would have. Same could (and does) happen with any product.

The whole mystification of MP's, german manufacturing, old M2's... all of it. Gets annoying.

Ha! Thanks for the funny post.

You bought a bum sample. Did you return it? I would have. Same could (and does) happen with any product.

The whole mystification of MP's, german manufacturing, old M2's... all of it. Gets annoying.

As far as I understood the posting, he did not buy it. He looked through the viewfinder, didn't see the meter and couldn't release the shutter. That's the reason why I asked him about the rewind lever.

Though those stories about "technicians", who dream of cement works are funny.

What is not funny at all, is the slander against Portugese production of Leicas. They produce all the bodies, and do a hell of a good job since more than 30 years. Without Leica workers in Portugal there would be no Leica anymore. The name Leica would be just a remembrance from history like the names of Rollei and Voigtlaender are today.

Go on dreaming. The reality of Leica is the rewind lever - made in Portugal. Just turn it or better leave it alone .

• Like 3

I'm not complaining. I love my M7. Very dependable and works like I want it to. OH NO! The batteries might run out! I'm far more likely to run out of a) film or B) light.

It irks me too when people compare 'feel' with build quality too. If something feels heavier or smoother, people claim it's better built. While that might be true in some cases, in almost every case they bring it up, it's due to the use of different materials (SS/aluminum vs. brass).

I apologize if my threads annoyed some people. I just had a bad experience. I was only going off information from some reputable people.

Of course, I can not give you the name of the technician. I trust them with my gear as do many.

Frankly, I'd like to have an M that has the automatic setting. That is why I invested in one in the first place when people on here, & other sites were saying get an M2, or an M6 classic.

I figured, I'd need the automation to respond to a possible disappearing moment. I was heart broken when the M I invested in was just a lemon, nit just by the camera store, but from a tech. that worked on my "dry" M3-SS. They did such a good job, so I felt compelled to ask them for help thinking the problem was me & not the M7.

per the advise of the technician, I returned the camera & my card was charged back the money. They asked no questions. The tech. advised that I should invest in an old M6 that has the meter built in, so that is what i did. I must say that fiddling with the exposure does become a pain.

I only wrote that most of my gear was made in Wetzlar, Germany because some leicaphiles feel that is the place where Leica was at its pinnacle of quality. I have no idea.

I meant no harm, to the person who implied I suggested I was impling A NEW WORLD ORDER. Or, maybe I read to much into it?

Most people that I know, (& I am not talking people like us), think that Leica Cameras are 100% German made & assembled. I know that I did, way back when.

One point that I was attempting to make is why doesn't Leica Camera AG, put that certain parts or the majority of their bodies are made in Portugal. I remember in the early mid- 80's that certain M bodies did in fact have the "Made in Portugal" markings engraved on the camera body. Just as they did for the Canadian bodies & some of the lenses. Why not now?

My sincere apologies,

P.S.: Beautiful work Andy saw your fotos... I'm an instant fan! Just brilliant.

LV2

Edited by leicavirgin2

"Based on what, one sample? Come on!"....

I apologized. We are all different. I meant no harm. If I could afford another M, I'd invest in an M7. I bought the kit with the wonderful Summicron 50mm f2.0. All I know I waited many years since I was old enough to know Leica quality & mystique. I was 10 years old when my grandfather showed me his precious Leica 3G's, (the old man had 3 of these beauties!)...

I was supposed to receive these in his will, but my looser cousin sold them for smack!

I have waited over 30 years to get an M. I went to work part-time at a local camera store in my neighborhood. I was cleaning upstairs and found a prestine M3-ss, (1961) with 50mm Lux f1.4-v.2. I bought from it the owner for $500.00. I took it to NYC with Tri-X loaded and it performed perfectly.

When I came back home I wanted it to have good CLA, so I gave it to a reputable tech. that I found on the LHSA. I sent it in & they did a great job.

I liked the M3 so much that a little later I wanted a Leica camera with automation, or one that was VIRGIN, so I debated between the M7 & MP, I chose that M7 for the automation function, so to react more quickly. I wanted a M that had only been touched by only the Leica Techs. & Myself...& just me. you know, like a virgin. I even took out a small personal loan for this kit.

I waited so long & when it did not work... I was heart broken. I did not want to give up on my new M7, so I called the dealer, they tried, & tried with me over the telephone. They had asked if I wanted to exchange it, or get my money back? I told the dealer it is probably just me. This is when I called the tech. that service my M3. Like the other dealer, (they are as well) they tried, & tried with me over the phone. We came to the conclusion that it was the camera & not just me.

I wanted my M7 to work the first time round after an investment of 5K, (this was over two years ago). I was angry, & depressed. Perhaps I over-reacted & should have given the M7 another chance?

So, I returned it & bought the M6, (classic). It does not have automation, but it does have a built in meter. Again, it is easier to get a correct exposure then say my M3, but I still have to fiddle with the arrows & might miss a shot.

I wanted my own VIRGIN Leica M with automation. Some may never find true love.

Again, my apologies.

LV2

Edited by leicavirgin2
  • Like 1

I don't know. I bought my M7 used from Popflash. I talked to Tony on the phone, he said it checked out, and it did. It's been great ever since.

Meanwhile, my M6 frame lever has gotten sticky. Are all M6's bum? No, it's just time to send it in.

Wow,

All I can say is that I bought my first Leica, a M7, about a year and a half ago and it is the best camera/lens (Summilux 50mmASPH) that I have ever had. There have been zero problems with the camera, it's been rock solid and I have used it heavily and never babied it. Recently added the new 24mm Elmar, another great lens. I love my M7!!

John S.

• Like 3

Wow,

All I can say is that I bought my first Leica, a M7, about a year and a half ago and it is the best camera/lens (Summilux 50mmASPH) that I have ever had. There have been zero problems with the camera, it's been rock solid and I have used it heavily and never babied it. Recently added the new 24mm Elmar, another great lens. I love my M7!!

John S.

:) Thanks for raising the moral! :) Let's see it!!! :)