Why not an "I love my M7" thread?

Pedro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love my M7, the mechanical side of an MP is tempting, surely, but the little word Auto is quite the convenience lure.

Pic taken at the Amalfi coast by the way, a day trip from Naples (where nobody would want to steal the M7 ;-)

Hey buddy, don't look now but someone is running up the steps eyeballing:eek: your M7.

Goodbye, dear friend.

Make way for the new kid on the block. :(:(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They look so cool together :D

• Like 1

Hey buddy, don't look now but someone is running up the steps eyeballing:eek: your M7.

Damm, thats the reason I can't find it anymore :eek:

But on a serious note, the Amalfi coas / Capri is so touristy, you are more likely to "get" a lot of cameras wilded at you to take somebodys picture *g*

• 2 weeks later...

here's another one :D

Hello all, I just bought my first M7. I own a Leica M9 - which I love. And now I can't wait to compliment my M9 with the M7. I borrowed my husband's M7 and I know that I love it. Film rules .... ;-)

I'm getting it serviced and put in the Glare Free MP glass put in. HOpefully I'll have my M7 for Xmas.

Enjoy your weekend,

Bixi

• 2 months later...
It seems like the M6 and MP are much more popular than the M7. Is this right?

I know there is a generic "I love my M" thread but its not getting much activity.

By the way, I take the opportunity to thank and congratulate all those who have been posting great pictures of their film Ms. Beautiful and great to look at.

4ad417a852446.jpg

I then found out that the majority of the parts & main-frame our made in Portugal. Some parts are made in Solms, (not many). Hmmm even though the camera engraving says Leica Camera GMBH, or Leica Camera Germany, or Leica Camera Made in Germany.

I found the latter is true.

I think this could be the reason why their is so few Leica M7 threads. I believe they are a hit & miss. I'd rather have a good Nikon FM3A that was made in Japan that has an automatic setting & if the batteries go the WHOLE of the camera is functional, unlike the M7.

LV2

One point that I was attempting to make is why doesn't Leica Camera AG, put that certain parts or the majority of their bodies are made in Portugal. I remember in the early mid- 80's that certain M bodies did in fact have the "Made in Portugal" markings engraved on the camera body. Just as they did for the Canadian bodies & some of the lenses. Why not now?

Now now... :)

We have the Leica factory here in Portugal and it has been producing most M bodies for over 30 years and do not see people complaining :)

The Made in Portugal / Made in Germany was changed due to EEC regulations...

Before the Made In ... was liberally applied and the basic rule if an item was made in two countries (like Leica stuff ) , the country where was the majority of the parts made ( that was Portugal ) you would label the Made In.. in that country.

Since bodies and top parts are all manufactured ( since M4.. ) in Portugal, everything is shipped to Solms and assembled the top part with the bodie, tolerances checked and corrected, VF aligned , etc .. but to be honest there wasnt specific legislation to "Made in" stuff.

In the mid 80's, EEC regulated that Made In should be stated clearly - if made inside EEC ( and Portugal is ) and if the item is made in two countries, the last country where everything is assembled is legally entitled t put hte Made in ...

So that's why Leica gear has the Made In Germany label but honestly, hardly anything is Made In...

Portugal produced, to the far extent of my knowledge :

M4

M5 ( not sure )

M6

M7

MP

R4

R5

R7

R8

R9

M8

M9

So its not a "oh Leica Portugal..." problem, I consider it more a Leica M7 specific problem... I never heard anyone complaining about M4/M6/MP reliability and the majority of them are / were made in Portugal

Funny enough, although Leicas are made in Portugal they are bloody expensive here - they cost 15 to 30% more than for example Germany and in the UK.. or more.

And 30% on an already quite expensive item is a lot of money.

I buy all my Leica stuff from the UK - much cheaper.

• Like 1

And by the way - its compeltly personal and subjective of course but I've been a Leica M6, M7 and MP owner.

Sold the M6 for a M7 and that was stolen.

Since them I got two MP's and there is a difference from the M7 to the MP

Can't really put a finger on what but seems the MP less "plasticy", more solid, more tight...

Prefer the MP build 300% over the M7 but I do miss the AE from the M7 for those quick moments where I can meter patiently.

Its a great camera the M7 that's for sure.