Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 4,5/21 ZM ??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has any got any experiences to share in regards the the Zeiss 21mm 4.5 lens when used on the M240 and / or the MM1?

I read some posts on the web where it's said that the lens has some problems with the M9/MM1 sensors, and I wonder if that's the same with the M240's sensors as well.

I have a CV 21mm f4 which I have been extremely happy with, love the size and although it does vignette some I can live with that fault, mostly……..But I am looking for a somewhat better 21mm, I know of course of Leica's offerings but the costs factor comes into the decision process too.

If I go for the Zeiss I'd be using it on my 240's and the MM1.

IF you search for this lens you'll find a lot on it here in the forum.

Outstanding lens for its size and price but red edge makes it unusable on M9 and M240 which is why I finally replaced it with the 3.4/21 SEM which is the better lens at a much higher price. Even if shooting for B&W on the colour cameras theres too much to repair on the files. Its great on the Monochrom v1.

These two were shot on the M9

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/gallery/album/4478-victorian-coastline/

Edited by MarkP

IF you search for this lens you'll find a lot on it here in the forum.

Outstanding lens for its size and price but red edge makes it unusable on M9 and M240 which is why I finally replaced it with the 3.4/21 SEM which is the better lens at a much higher price. Even if shooting for B&W on the colour cameras theres too much to repair on the files. Its great on the Monochrom v1.

Thanks Mark, that's pretty much what I hear / read on the Zeiss, a pity. I love the fact that it's compact in size like the VC 21 F4, but I guess the colour shift and maybe the vignetting probably puts it out of the running. 

The VC too is really good on the Monochrom V1………..It's a great little lens, but with the same faults as you say the Zeiss displays.

Actually having praised my little Voitglander 21mm f4 Color Skopar, ( which in fact I'd keep no matter whatever other 21mm I'd buy ), I should ask if anyone has had any experience with the Skopar's big brother, the Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f1.8?

Would be interested to know if it's worth considering.

Hopefully Zeiss will one day refresh this gem of an optic.

But considering that a 21C is still $1200 list and (~$1000 in actuality) whilst a QM2 of the 21 SEM, ~$2250, I'd go for the faster SEM. Compared to the 21 Summilux in the Great Leica Scheme of Things (GLST), not that much more expensive if 21 is your thing.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

Hopefully Zeiss will one day refresh this gem of an optic.

But considering that a 21C is still $1200 list and (~$1000 in actuality) whilst a QM2 of the 21 SEM, ~$2250, I'd go for the faster SEM. Compared to the 21 Summilux in the Great Leica Scheme of Things (GLST), not that much more expensive if 21 is your thing.

I too really liked the 21 Biogon but the edging on all digital that I have (M8 & M9) preclude its use for me except for an occasional roll of film in an M3.  I've pretty much confined myself to 35mm (Summicron) and 18mm Distagon  in the WA arena.  While I have others, these two usually end up doing the job. While the Distagon is large it is superb.  Regards, Ron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually having praised my little Voitglander 21mm f4 Color Skopar, ( which in fact I'd keep no matter whatever other 21mm I'd buy ), I should ask if anyone has had any experience with the Skopar's big brother, the Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f1.8?

Would be interested to know if it's worth considering.

The Ultron 21mm 1.8 is very good on the M9 and the M240. I hardly have any issues with color shift and I like to use it wide open. I recommend it. For it's price there is hardly an alternative (maybe the Zeiss 2.8/21 which I do not know, however).

Regards

Swiss Leica Fan

I got a good deal on a used 21mm/3.4 Super Elmar, but it's still a great deal more expensive than the Zeiss 21mm ZM lenses. I used to have the 21mm/2.8 Biogon ZM, and it is a good lens too. It definitely needed cyan/red edge corrections on my M9-P (I used the Adobe DNG Flat Field Plug In for Lightroom for correcting it). I have not tried the 21mm/3.4 yet on the old M9-P but it's amazing on the M-P, even at f/4 its sharp all the way into the corners.

Edited by sdk

• 3 months later...

If one wishes to use the 21mm Biogon with the aforementioned digital cameras the only remedy that is both practical and not too painful is to create a cornerfix profile for each f: stop and use it. This will take care of vignetting and , more importantly, color fringing. It might be justifiable when solely using the lens (like in street shooting) on one or two apertures, and bulk processing them in cornerfix. Given higher available ISOs, this may be sort of practical (depending on why you wish to use the lens) but In all liklihood, use of a more modern 21mm is justified, regardless of the bulk. A shame, the 21mm Biogon was a truly great lens in its era. Regards, Ron

another option if you use Adobe software (Lightroom, etc) to process images is their DNG Flat Field correction plugin. You can make one set of images at different apertures and focus distances  shot through a white balance filter or at a white wall, and use these as a reference set that you can use to correct other images one at a time or in batch. A further description here.