Close-Ups with my M 240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've always wanted to be able to do close-up or macro style photography with my M 240.

I recently purchased a:

New Macro Tube Set for the Leica M Typ 240 - Camera West Blog

Nothing yet to post...but have been playing with this extension set....very easy to use and results are real promising.

I purchased mine at my local Leica dealer in N Calif: Camera West. Be sure to read the above post.

• Like 17

I'd be interested to see how this works out - a bit more flexible than my current set up of bellows and visoflex...

Is it possible to buy these rings direct from Novoflex? I ca find the LEM/VIS II but I'm not sure about the other ones.

Grateful for any advice,

Best

Edited by chris_tribble

I'd be interested to see how this works out - a bit more flexible than my current set up of bellows and visoflex...

Is it possible to buy these rings direct from Novoflex? I ca find the LEM/VIS II but I'm not sure about the other ones.

Grateful for any advice,

Best

What 'other ones' Chris? It seems from a Novoflex PDF that's linked to the UK Speed Graphic website:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/portals/1/product/images/prd4d31aa13-ec66-48e2-a0c6-f9700fec2d8c.pdf

that LEM/VIS II is all you need for close focus with M mount lens and the M240. Out of stock (of course) and listed as £165!

Best regards,

Christopher

• Like 1

You have to think that Leica have missed a trick on this - this is exactly the sort of product they should be introducing though after the R to M adapter debacle, you can be sure it would redefine the meaning of the word "late".

More widely, with their minds on the new mirrorless system camera (let's say), you do wonder whether the M is going to become increasingly marginalised and eventually left to wither on the vine.

• Like 1

Esophoria kindly provided a link to the Camera West website in USA which describes a Novoflex Macro Tube set and this appears to be identical to the Novoflex VIS/LEMII marketed by Speed Graphic in UK. According to their website it will be released in May.

Novoflex originally made a LEM/VIS adapter which is a simple 41mm extension tube to replace the Visoflex II & III when used with the M240 in Live View mode.

The newer version is obviously much more versatile.

Agree on the lack of imagination - not sure on the marginalisation of the M... Having played with the latest OMD EM1 and similar, I can't see myself rushing to swap an RF viewfinder for an EVF - however many pixels it has...

Photokina is 5 months away and it will be interesting to see if there is anything at all for the M announced then. There has been nothing since the last Photokina in 2012.

We do not know what direction Leica will be taking with lenses, a possible monochrome version of the M Typ 240, a better sensor, a better EVF or is the current camera frozen in aspic?

My fear is the luxury goods set will rush to the new camera which will then be all the excuses the bean counters need to starve the M of development resources.

• Like 1

Is there any equasion to calculate DoF when extension is used? I sometimes use oufro (10mm) with 75mm, and I have to stop the lens to at least f5.6 to get what I want. What would be the DoF @f2 and 41mm extension tube?

Also, how could I calculater lens' max focus distance based on the lenght of extension tube?

Lord knows :)

I've ordered the VIS/LEMII and will report back on how things go! I'll be interested to see how it works with the 90 cron asph and 135 A-T. I've loved working with these lenses with the Visoflex - how nice to have the additional flexibility (especially as I assume I can use these to mount my Viso Bellows. It's my birthday in May - maybe it will come in time :)

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived today, and the instructions are sparse: specifically on how to remove lens from outer ring. There's a little screw-head but pressing did nothing and I thought my lens was never going to come off! Removed screw/pin and saw sideways mounted spring, so the answer is that you ease the pin back towards the camera and you can then dismount your 50mm lens.

When using the assemblies you get hardly any focus tolerance with the lens itself: more a question of moving the Leica back and forth for sharpest result as seen in the M's EVF (don't think you could focus just with the back screen).

Frankly was disappointed, in that a flower, like a clematis, fills the frame even with the single ring. So it's more for those who want to photograph postage stamps, coins etc and have time to fiddle with a tripod. Here's a single flower on a Choisia shrub. (Flower is 3cm across.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview

Yes, aprat the black finishing, is a Chinese OUFRO copy like the ones one can find at Jinfinance... you can stack them as the Novoflex LEM/VIS, with the only difference that maybe (probably) you haven't, via stacking, the exact length of the Visoflex II/III.

Pity that I bought the LEM/VIS just a little before they introduced the new "stackable" version... :o which is of course more flexible... even if when the usage is with long Telyts, having a "single piece solution" is someway "cleaner"... :o

• Like 1

Looking for some help.

I now have (at last) the Novoflex LEM/VIS II adapter and am impressed. It's not as beautifully machined as the Leica R to M adapter, but it's good. Functionality hand held is fine, but I can't get it to work with my Leica Visoflex bellows as however I try to mount it, the camera ends up at a really odd angle on the mount.

I attach some images below. Clearly this doesn't work - but there was no problem when I used the visoflex body. I've tried the release lever on the body thinking that that might help, but it just adds to the problem.

Do you think the issue might be to do with the multiply stacked threaded mounts? I could see how this might make accurate alignment impossible.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Best

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1