Olympus VF-2

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I ordered the Olympus VF-2 since I'm a poor kid since I just bought a Typ 240...

I was wondering if anyone know how to get the 'olympus' print of the front, I don't want it saying Leica, but I don't want it saying Olympus either, I want it just to empty black...

I know Jaap used a trick to make the Olympus go away:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After having used Zeiss and CV OVFs for decades why wouldn't we use an Oly EVF at present? Olympus used to make superb bodies and lenses in the past, their little EVF deserves to be seen as such on the best rangefinder in the world. YMMV. BTW the Oly EVF is made of plastic not metal so i would use any sort of polish remover with moderation.

I also have the EFV and just looked at it...the Olympus name is a very dull grey in color....few will notice it....plus Leica doesn't even make the Leica EVF....the patent for it is help by Epson and manufactured by Olympus....it's a real hybrid.

resprayed mine (an unpleasant yellowish silver) with automotive silver paint the same tone as the M body (I have a silver chrome) ....... then added a spare red dot for a laugh .....:p

a bit fiddly but only took an hour one rainy sunday afternoon....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

The only thing is you'll devalue it by doing that. I'm poor too so I figure at some point I might sell it for a better compatible one.

I don't care about devalue'ing a Olympus 170 euro viewfinder... it's already devalued the day it ships to my house by 50%...

I Just don't want it to show Olympus, not because I'm afraid people will think that I'm using a Olympus but just because I think it's odd to have the Leica Logo and then Olympus a few centimeters above.

You might be safer keeping the Olympus logo on the EVF and covering the Leica dot and M with the same logo. A chunky looking Olympus point and shoot might be less desirable to some thieves!

They might not know Leica, but they do know Olympus! :p

• Like 1

The Olympus script is so faint that from 2 meters away you frankly can't see it. I got one of my EVF's script off with nail polish remover and it works fine and looks hybrid, but why go to the trouble. I posted a photo of it many months ago here on a similar thread.

These are the most expendable items you will use with the camera since they are just plastic so soon they will need replacing.

A bit uncalled for, don't you think?

No.

It's conditional on whether the wish to remove the "Olympus" name is based on a feeling that it is something to be ashamed of. If he doesn't feel that it is, then clearly it doesn't apply. But If he does feel it is something to be ashamed of, I stand by what I've said.

I do feel that brand snobbery is a very distasteful thing. I hope this isn't an example of it.

No.

It's conditional on whether the wish to remove the "Olympus" name is based on a feeling that it is something to be ashamed of. If he doesn't feel that it is, then clearly it doesn't apply. But If he does feel it is something to be ashamed of, I stand by what I've said.

I do feel that brand snobbery is a very distasteful thing. I hope this isn't an example of it.

Oh, sorry. I see that you are a sponsoring member. I'll mind my P's and Q's in future.

Oh, sorry. I see that you are a sponsoring member. I'll mind my P's and Q's in future.

Being a sponsoring member has nothing to do with anything here, other than the fact that I appreciate the forum and make a small donation to help support it as many others do.

I hope it doesn't affect the way any of us exchange opinions with each other.