Ramadam Kareem

wilfredo

Virgil and Paul,

Thank you. I was invited yesterday to an Iftar by the Turkish community here in Orange County, California and I didn't want to arrive empty handed so I made a print of this picture which they really enjoyed. I hope it captured something of the magic and ancient holiness of that place.

Wilfredo,

This is a great shot of the interior of Ayasofya. But I am not so sure how it relates to Ramadan and the ancient rituals as this was a Roman church converted to a mosque after Mehmet II conquered Constantinople (1453). After the Turkish Republic in 1923, it was converted into a museum (which it still is today). With the current political winds in Turkey, this old church-turned-mosque-turned-museum has heavy political undertones as those on the far right want to, once again, turn it into a mosque.

IMHO, another image, such as one from the Blue Mosque (a masterpiece by anyone's standard by the great Ottoman architect Sinan) which is situated directly across from Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia) would have been a much more apt image (free of political baggage) to celebrate this holly month of Ramadan.

Best wishes,

Ece

Edited by allamande