johnbuckley

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest New2LeicaRF

it only tells us that leica is fearing that people already know everything and would not watch the event keenly.

hence, they had to tease us with "there's somethign more to come" and see we all fell for it. silly us.

[andy and andreas, thanks ;)]

I confess to being slightly disappointed with the M9 as we currently understand it - a FF evolution of the M8.2 with (so far as we know) the vignetting and IR filter problems cracked. Reworked operating model (all down to firmware) and only a choice of black paint which wears or silver paint which wears. I wonder if they've improved the gritty shutter release?

Usual issue for me - fully 7 of the widest lenses - 5 of them introduced during the lifetime of the M8 - are not usable on the M9 without an external finder and of course I would have liked to see a glorious optical tour-de-force to avoid the need for magnifiers, diopters and external finders. Apparently, it wasn't to be.

Not sure I understand the thinking behind the X1, either. If it is a fixed lens and a fixed focal length lens, I do wonder who it going to buy it.

So hopefully there is something else to surprise and delight us.

An upgrade path of m8/8.2 to m9 FF feature set... but at a price that would make you think about just getting the m9 instead

But it does save you the hassle of selling at a loss. It doubt it will happen though and if it does it will be well after the initial excitement. I hope I am wrong.

Wide-angles were necessary for the M8... but they will have slighly different applications on the M9:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rosuna

But it does save you the hassle of selling at a loss. It doubt it will happen though and if it does it will be well after the initial excitement. I hope I am wrong.

This will never happen. There will be no upgrade path to an M9 from an M8, other than to buy a new camera.

I found the M9 brochure somewhat unconvincing - but I have nothing to substantiate that, it's just a feeling.

So, could the brochure be a red herring? I hope so.

I for one found the M8 screen almost impossible to use in very bright conditions, and the screen is essential for some key settings, so it seems odd they would use the same type of screen (unless it has been improved but with the same resolution - which is fine by me).

However, the whole ISO adjustment by screen routine is difficult and unintuitive for real documentary work, and Leica must have known about this complaint. So I'm hoping the M9 is going to be a little different to what we're all expecting.

I'm also hoping there will be an option of a higher magnification rangefinder (and lower for those who need that). The 1.25 and 1.4 external magnifiers just get wrecked on assignments, and are not particularly nice to use.

If it turns out to be an M8 with a full frame sensor, sadly it will not be the camera for me (but I'm still hopeful the brochure is a deliberate Leica fake).

Marcus

Edited by marcusperkins

Assuming the brochure is legit, and there is seemingly no reason it is not, we can rule out any more new equipment. Since the specs are also spelt out, we can also discount any other non-disclosed features, functions, etc. What else then could be so 'big' that it warrants a special announcement? :confused:

I found the M9 brochure somewhat unconvincing - but I have nothing to substantiate that, it's just a feeling.

So, could the brochure be a red herring? I hope so.

Marcus

I've got doubts about the authenticity of the web broadcast as well.

Obviously only a virtual presentation, could easily be rigged.

Think you're going to be disappointed.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Rolo

Information on the R solution would be good (stop press, RED announces R mount;)).

Chrome M9 would be nice:).

Cinema Lenses:cool:.

The photographic worlds most unlikely merger (Leica buys RED or vice versa:eek:).

Seriously, Steve could be right. The original video teaser hinted at the M9 but officially nothing has been said of the X1, so if there's anyone out there who hasn't seen or heard of the brochure leak.....

Otherwise, a few more tweaks to the M9, nothing too radical but Mark N's VF would be nice, and a focusing viewfinder for the X1.

Edited by stevelap