Close up Photography with an M6?

kenneth

Both your options are very workable. It depends on the frequency with which you wish to do this. The Viso for the M is very good, but is definitely fiddly and very 'Heath Robinson'ish'. If you anticipate doing much close-up stuff, the SLR options are definitely superior from bothe the efficiency of use and accuracy of viewing. I use the Viso with my M8 (digital) but would use a (D)SLR if I had one. Cost is the other variable to consider. A Viso will be cheaper than a whole new outfit if it is just for close-up work.

I have a Viso II and III (I bought the III because it came with a lens) and bellows. Both Visos are very workable. They are somewhat "technical" but close up photography is a somewhat technical activity by definition. I like the prism and viewfinder of the II better (it has an adjustable eye piece).

If your M6 is a TTL, I think you are limited to a III due to the slightly greater body height.

I would not trade this setup for an SLR.

You guys need to do some research on the Visoflex system. The II and III have exactly the same body height. (I don't know where this height difference myth got started.) They have to the same height because the ground glass has to be in precisely the same place on both. The 90 degree finders traditionally associated with the II and III are different. The VII older 90 degree finder is "stepped" and won't fit later M's. The VIII newer 90 degree finder is a High Eyepoint finder and works a lot better with glasses. It also clears the top of all M cameras. Either finder can be used on either VII or VIII.

So pick the Visoflex you like and pick the finder you like.

You guys need to do some research on the Visoflex system. The II and III have exactly the same body height. (I don't know where this height difference myth got started.) They have to the same height because the ground glass has to be in precisely the same place on both. The 90 degree finders traditionally associated with the II and III are different. The VII older 90 degree finder is "stepped" and won't fit later M's. The VIII newer 90 degree finder is a High Eyepoint finder and works a lot better with glasses. It also clears the top of all M cameras. Either finder can be used on either VII or VIII.

So pick the Visoflex you like and pick the finder you like.

Hope I can disagree without being disagreeable. My expeience comes from owning both a Viso II and III, as well as both prisms II and III.

The II and III visoflex boxes have the same height - for the reason you explain. The prism finders are not the same. The III finder extends to the rear at about the same level as the ground glass. The II prism finder drops down about 2-3 millimeters BELOW the level of the ground glass. The II prism cannot be used with an M5, M6TTL, M7 or M8, all of which are higher than the M3,2,4 and 6 classic.

The prism II and III work on both the Viso II and III - but the prism II does not work on the taller cameras.

The III prism is quite nice - unless you need an eyepiece correction. Then you need the correcting lenses that were also used on the Leicaflex SL/SL2. These are not so easy to find. The prism II has a rotating ring that adjusts the correction. So if you do not need any viewfinder correction the prism III is great. If you need correction, you are likely to be happier with the prism II, since you can achieve a correction without further accessories. If you need corrections, and cannot find the accessory viewfinder correction lenses, you are doomed to looking at a fuzzy ground glass with the prism III.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One problem with using the visoflex II on a taller M series camera such as the M5 or the M6TTL is the release arm.The arm in the visoflex III is designed to clear the higher top plate and properly mate with the shutter releases of the M5, M6TTL,M7 and M8.The one on the visoflex II isn't.

Edited by Robert J