evidence that all is not forgotten

Marquinius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wherever you go in the northern parts of Western Europe, you find these sites. This one is near Arnhem, scene of "a bridge to far". Whenever I pass one, I have to stop and look. Touching history and you can read that in more than one way.

As the M8 is in the repair shop: Lumix (but not half bad for that little thingy). DPP in CS/SEP.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Marco, I totally agree with you. The first time I went to that part of France I hadn't expected there to be so many small cemeteries dotted all over the place. I confess that I've shed a few tears reading the gravestones, especially some of the family inscriptions at the bottom of the headstones, the combination of simplicity and the families' pain is heart rending. The utter futility of so many young lives lost what a tragedy.

@Robert: it really focuses your mind, walking around

@Pete: there's a lot of those without a name, saying it all

@Kirk: I specifically left it in color, a kind of looking back while walking away and not getting gloomy

@Stuart: it's the details that really are touching. I mean, someone took those lilys of the valley (am I correct?) and put them just there.

@Ece: they really put an effort in keeping it this flowery

@Steve: I remember a letter from a granddaughter to her grandfather ...

The thing is that even sites from WW1 are still kept in perfect order and even there you still find fresh flowers and letters. It pays to visit a German site as well.

Marco- Wonderful & touching series. When I was in Tunisia a few years ago on the outskirts of Tunis in the midst of all the semi built squalid houses was this military cemetery much like the one you've portrayed here. I always make a point of stopping and looking around.

"Lest we forget"