Deleting Files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the most part I've been deleting flash card files from the camera. Recently I trashed files dragging the folders to the trash on the IMAC and now those SanDisk Ultra II cards won't work. What's the best and safest way to do this using the IMAC? And YES, I am giving up on those ULTRA II cards.

Thanks.

Edited by wilfredo

First of all, when the card was attached to the computer, did you empty the trash. It could look empty, but clicking on the trash icon should show it was full.

If that doesn;t help try formatting the cards in the camera.

If that doesn.t help, put the card in the card reader, attach to computer and in disk utility program click on the card icon (for heaven's sake not by accident on your HD!!), choose erase, MS DOS format, uncheck install OS9 and then ok. Then format the card in the camera.

I just did this with a used card, and my M8 formatted it and then it worked perfectly.

Just make darned sure you don.t choose any disk except the card so you don't erase and partition your Hard Disk or external Disks.

General consensus of opinion I've observed on this forum is to always format the card in the camera (type) that it will be used in. That practice has never failed me in years.

For the most part I've been deleting flash card files from the camera. Recently I trashed files dragging the folders to the trash on the IMAC and now those SanDisk Ultra II cards won't work. What's the best and safest way to do this using the IMAC? And YES, I am giving up on those ULTRA II cards.

I have been deleting files on cards on the computer (iMac and MacBook Pro) for years now, and always without problems. Naturally, one has to empty the trash before unmounting the card or the files won’t actually be deleted. (My standard procedure is to select all the files in a folder, copy those files to the disk, move the files on the card to the trash, check the files on the disk to ascertain they have made it across OK, then empty the trash and unmount the card.) Folders can be deleted that way as well, but there is rarely a reason to delete the folders created by the camera; normally one would just delete the image files so the folder can be re-used.

SanDisk Ultra II cards are a good choice, btw.

Edited by mjh