Which Color Reversal Film?

RPS

E100G to me seems like the best thing around these days. Kodak has squeezed the grain down to almost Velvia levels. It is a bit bland in color saturation (IMHO) - but if one is scanning, saturation can always be boosted in the computer, so it can make a nice neutral starting point. (Super-saturated E100VS does not have the same fine-grain technology as 100G, and runs red as well as being more saturated and more grainy)

I liked the original Velvia 50 for the fine grain and the ability to hold color in pale yellows like straw or desert sand - most other E6 films of the 90's tended to wash out pale yellows (as do IMHO other current Fuji E6 films). But the revived version runs too purple, and the Velvia 100 versions were what partly drove me to digital - NOT the same color as the original 50.

On the off-topic of color negs - the problem with getting opinions on those is that they are so processing-dependent and scanner-dependent. Just a little bit off in the density of the orange masking can make or break them. And unless film profiles are good and constantly updated for new emulsions, (Nikon hasn't updated their software since 2005) scanners have trouble winkling out the correct colors.

I've found Ektar 100 to be pretty nice in 120 - definitely the finest-grain C41 film I've ever used (I wasn't shooting C41 in the Ektar 25 era). But Andy B had a different experience, and I don't doubt it. I have had good and bad results with practically every current C41 emulsion at some point.

After Kodachrome can no longer be processed, I will only shoot color film in 120 or larger formats except on very rare occasions. I will most likely only shoot 35mm with either digital or black and white film beyond 2010.

Fuji Velvia ISO 50

Velvia ISO 100

Astia-seldom

Provia 100F (a lot)

Agfa 50 RSX

Agfa CT 100

Agfas Scalia B&W

All in my freezer. You will note the absence of any Kodachromes.

Edited by holmes
add one more film