Film in a digital age

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those new to film are asking what makes it special, and, more importantly, what software types are available? Why isn't it more complex sounding, like digital? These definitions may help:

FILM: Fully Integrated Luminescent Medium.

SLIDE: Super Luminescent Image Display Edition.

PRINT: Permanently Reproducible Intelligent Negative Transfer.

B+W: Blink and Wait? (there's a website sounds like that somewhere...)

Those new to film are asking what makes it special, and, more importantly, what software types are available? Why isn't it more complex sounding, like digital? These definitions may help:

FILM: Fully Integrated Luminescent Medium.

SLIDE: Super Luminescent Image Display Edition.

PRINT: Permanently Reproducible Intelligent Negative Transfer.

B+W: Blink and Wait? (there's a website sounds like that somewhere...)

I would say that if someone needs to ask, what makes film special they might be better staying with digital.

To be fair though, if Don was covering wars today he'd be using digital.

I was with friends at a concert last night and one had some Olympus digital camera, he mentioned it was his daughters, they'd bought it for her because she was getting interested in photography, but apparently she keeps insisting on using film and some old camera she picked up in a junk shop.......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your Opinion-If someone has to ask what makes film special, I'd suggest they go out and shoot a few dozen rolls to see for themselves!

My opinion-I would say that if someone needs to ask, what makes film special they might be better staying with digital

Firstly, everyones opinion is of equal value and as a dedicated film only user my self I totally agree with your comment. The point I was making was if someone has to ask what makes film special they are possibly not at the stage in thier photographic journey to be able to see a major difference hence it might make sense for them to continue being blissfully happy taking digital images.

James, I enjoyed the comment about the lass using an old film camera she picked up in a junk shop! But how would she program it/download pictures/interface with the user interface? There's so much she couldn't do: no modes or menus or multi-program user options, for starters! :D

OTOH, them film cameras can be quite sophisticated, as my above definitions go to show.

Cheers, David

Actually, I did ask what makes film special?

But I asked that after looking at prints and am convinced there is a quality that is different to digital which I liked. I won't say better or worse cos that's too subjective but I definitely liked what I (think) saw.

And that's what made this digital monkey seek film, as seen from the other thread that I started about which film rangefinder to buy :)

I really should have posted an "irony alert" and used a ton of "emoticons" to signal that this post was not to be taken absolutely seriously. Sigh. I had hoped one or two dyed in the wool traditionalists or analogue enthusiasts might have read past the title line to tell me if my film acronyms sounded more or less authentic. Or even come up with some new ones. Never mind. It's a good lesson to me to spell things out more clearly and not rely on subtle nuances. No one gets them any more.