photobank or netbook?

faffo99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys..

next month i'll be shooting in Peru to make some commissioned pictures and off course a personal work.

For commissioend i'm shooting digital (5dmk2)

and for my project off course i'll be shooting M6...

The question is:

how am i going to store the digital pictures?

I was wondering to take some sort of portable HD... but then i realized that it costs as much as an Acer aspire netbook with 160gb of space!!!!

i've always been reluctant on buying portable hd.. because you're never 100% sure you saved the datas entirely...and i'm scared of getting corrupted files...

also a netbook, is very small and gives me the chance to look at the files...

SO , what would you do if you were me?

thank you all!

Raffaele,

I'd take the notebook, but I'd also take another medium. Even if only a stack of DVDs or an external USB drive. I would not be comfortable with one storage location, and would keep them separate.

I traveled all over Peru a couple years ago and can tell you that theft is a serious concern, even from quality hotel rooms.

John

We bought an Acer just for travelling. I'm typing on it right now and actually enjoy the size very much. It doesn't have a disc drive if you need that. Our friends were in Peru 2 months ago and had an incident with robbers. Someone smashed the van window and grabbed a purse from a women's lap, which contained her passport. It was extremly upsetting to all and a lot of trouble for her. Just be cautious with your camera and other valuables.

For my MacBook I have chosen for a SSD-storage. That is a static microchip storage without moving parts. Could be a good choice for a hard trip.

Of course SSD doesn't have the eternal life, things happen sometimes.

On the other side the disc in my SE/30 runs since 20 years now without any head crash.

Jan