Please Leica: give us a dust removal system on the M9

biglouis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that some sort of dust reduction would be a benefit, though I personally haven't had too many problems with dust on the M8.

But as others have suggested, I would not want any such system at the expense of a larger camera body. I've been starting to shoot more film again and it's amazing how much smaller the MP and even M6ttl feel than the M8. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the M8, but I don't want a future digital M to be any larger.

And while we're on the topic of a camera that doesn't exist yet, I do hope that if there is another digital M body it will use the same batteries as the M8! I hate carrying multiple sets of batteries and chargers when I travel.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, well its seems like I have a dust problem with my 18 months old camera that other don't have :)

To put this in context, I occasionally blow out my dust with a rocket blower and then I tend to allow the dust to accumulate until it gets to the point that I am using a lot of my time cloning it out in CS3.

That's when I resort to butterflies and swabs.

I am just assuming that as sensor technology evolves the dust reduction mechanisms will become embedded and not have the system will become the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks for the responses.

LouisB

What ever happened to the concept of routine maintinance of one's camera?

Dust got into film cameras and we brushed it out.

A dust removal system isn't even on the list of things I would want on the next generation M.

But I'll add it to things I don't want to see like live preview, video, and a bigger LCD.

Unfortunately not the best example Louis, the D3 and D3x don't have dust removal systems (the big Canons do though);).

In the case of the Nikons, there's space for a full size mirror or a dust removal device but not both. Personally, I would much prefer to have the 100% finder ofthe D3/D3x. I don't have dust problems with these, either.

In the case of the Nikons, there's space for a full size mirror or a dust removal device but not both. Personally, I would much prefer to have the 100% finder ofthe D3/D3x. I don't have dust problems with these, either.

The D700 has both though. :D

My personal experience with the M8 is not too bad. When I have some dust in the sensor, It's not too difficult to clean it. I own the Nikon D300 and I'm surprised how well works. I've never had to clean the sensor and I've never seen a single dust spot.

Even when I would love a similar system in the M9, I would prefer a smaller M9 with just the essentials, better sensor, better high iso files and a nice shutter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree and likewise with my D3x.

After a thorough wet cleaning with E2 two months after I got my camera, I have never had a problem with excessive dust. I use the Arctic Butterfly maybe once every two months and my sensor stays perfectly clean. You really just need that one thorough cleaning. My recommendation is to use a little more fluid than they recommend (maybe three drops), don't be scared, the glass is not as fragile as people make it seem.

and where should this system take place in the body ? Pleas dont try all the time to make a SLR System from the M System.

Well, when I take a look into the sensor housing of my Lumix G1 I notice two things :

1. It's smaller than that of my M8.

2. It has a dust removal system.

So I think that the technology already exists to fit dust removal in an M8 sized / proportioned camera body.

... and no doubt we'll see this demonstrated by Olympus in a couple of weeks when they announce their Micro Four Thirds camera.

Well, when I take a look into the sensor housing of my Lumix G1 I notice two things :

1. It's smaller than that of my M8.

2. It has a dust removal system.

So I think that the technology already exists to fit dust removal in an M8 sized / proportioned camera body.

... and no doubt we'll see this demonstrated by Olympus in a couple of weeks when they announce their Micro Four Thirds camera.

I think that the G1 as a very small sensor. I don't want to use just half of my leica lenses.

Nothing is 100%, but I guess the question is whether or not you have decided to disable the dust-buster because it is not 100% effective against all physical contaminants.

From some online comparisons I saw awhile back, Olympus still seems to be the most successful with their system. Some of the in-camera systems may almost be jokes.

I'll take less than 100% if it reasonably extends the amount of time between my having to take direct measures (brush or swab) to clean the sensor. If it turns out the "system" is just something that wiggles the sensor, then...

I should have specified: "100% enlargement" which requires more movement to eye-scan the image on screen.

Sensor cleaning is definitely not a gimmick. I have five dslrs for my work; four of them have sensor cleaning and one doesn't. The one that doesn't have sensor cleaning always has the most dust. The difference is very clear, almost dramatic. I see this nearly every week.

Checking and cleaning the sensors on multiple cameras before an assignment would be very time consuming. With sensor cleaning, a busy photographer still has to check the sensors, but very often there is no need for cleaning as the camera has done a good job. Big time saver.

My experience is that my M8 sensors don't need cleaning anywhere near as often as the Canon DSLRs I used to use.

One explanation I've heard is that zoom lenses 'suck in' dust. I don't know whether this is true, or whether it's an urban legend.

Kirk

My 1Ds III is my first camera with a sensor cleaning system. It is a wast improvement to the previous models I have owned, like 1Ds and 1Ds II - and a wast improvement to my M8. I have not spent time on sensor cleaning or have found it necessary to correct any spots in post processing. I feel that Nikon is not quite up-to-date with it's largest pro camera without a sensor cleaning system. Dust is a huge problem on my M8. Particularly now, during the pollen season.

Please Leica ... please don't keep adding things. Stick to the core.

Shaking sensors? Another glass surface in front of the sensor? More expense? I sure hope not.

And please ... no video .... nor next years Cell phone and integrated TV remote. I know everyone else have it soon ... but .... I thought that yours was the one last company that stuck to basics and the ideal of simplicity.