Is this lens kaput

jaffercake

Have you taken any pictures with this lens? Looks like fungus inside front element. Your pictures may be soft or you may have a flare problem, post some pictures (in varying conditions) shot with this lens. You might like the results, if not, send in for repair, get estimate first, then decide if it's worth repairing. Russell

I'm not sure if it makes sense sending this lens to Leica. You got a pretty big fungus problem there and the chance to remove it completely(!!!) isnt big. Fungus often comes back after a while because the spores.

The best thing you can do is call Leica and ask the experts about this issue.

Best regards

Daniel

Have a shot at taking it apart and cleaning it you are not going to make it any worse.

Frase, Not a good idea. 1)This lens has the diaphragm right behind the 1st element, could be damaged by a non-expert disassembling a lens. 2) You need a collimator to check proper alignment of all lens elements (4 in this lens), if he doesn't align all the elements perfectly, the fungus will be least of his problems. Leave disassembly and cleaning to certified repair people with the proper equipment at their disposal. Russell:eek:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually, it is quite simple to remove the front lens group and no re-collimating is necessary upon re-assembly. A rubber block pressed against the black ring will unscrew it. Unfortunately, the fungus is probably between the front elements and will be very difficult to remove.

About a year ago John van Stelten of Focal Point still had some original front elements for this lens - may be a good idea to contact him: Welcome to Focal Point - Lens Repair, Lens Cleaning, Camera Repair

Best,

Jan

Even if you kill off the fungus and remove it, the glass will be etched. These lenses are not expensive. Buy a good one and replace the front element (After having a professional remove all fungus spores!), as the lens clearly has emotional value. Otherwise, just replace it.

Thanks guys.

Had a go at repairing it myself, though i could loosen the lens locking ring the outer ring

would not budge. Don't know if its glued in place.

I still have a 90mm 2.8 in good condition that i can test the camera with. The camera has not been used much recently, though it was serviced regularly in its day.

Guest maddoc2003jp

Zeiss and also Leica don't accept any lens for repair / service that is infected by fungus. While opening the lens spores can spread all over the place and contaminate other lenses or optics. See this older thread here.

Dont send it to Leica. They told me to toss it in the bin. John Van Stelten at Vocal point fixed it in two days without any damage to the lens. It was as good as new. Leica stated that it was un repairable. You couldnt even see signs of fungus unless you used a flashlight and looked for it. I dont think your lens will qualify as repairable either :D

re-collimating shouldn't be that dificult and its not like its going to be any worse than it is now, mind on the re-collimating I say it should't be dificult but my dad has been building astronomical telescopes for almost 50 years!:)