Oh well, why not?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If its any consolation, the 85mm f1.2L doesn't always absolutely nail focus in my experience either, manually or using its weird AF system! Good light helps but then why shoot wide-open in good light (its difficult to practice using the 85/1.2 on AF anyway).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... it's better to work in good light until you have it down without thinking . I never recompose just start again, chances are that I have missed the shot by then so it's better to move on with a new thought

This sounds like a misunderstanding. It sounds like you think Chris is recomposing because the subject moved. But I think he is recomposing because he wants a composition where the central element (covered by the RF patch when the shot is taken) isn't in the desired focal plane. So he uses the RF patch to focus on something he wants in the focal plane (like an eye) and then moves the camera without changing focus to get the composition he wants.

Do you do something different when you want to focus on, e.g. an eye, but don't want the eye in the center of your shot? If so, please share it since I'm guessing this is a source of slight focus inaccuracy for many.

Thanks.

David

Guest guy_mancuso

You have to watch your plane of focus also. If you focus on the eye in the middle of the frame than recompose to a different spot . That plane of focus to where you move to could possible change and usually does. You almost have to shift YOUR body and slide than rotate the camera. These shots are mostly all about movement more than anything else though another big issue. Monopods can really help here and don't think for a second it would not benefit a M8 it does

No misunderstanding, movement or not if I feel I can't nail it , I take stock and restart as I stated before, there are plenty of shots to be had. I have been using a borrowed 75mm/f2.5 on Epson usually focus slightly closer and a tweek out as I am about to press the shutter. Same with a 85mm on a DSLR................. it's a matter of anticipating what occurs in next moment

Edited by stnami

Guest guy_mancuso

Agree you really have to have your game on when using longer lenses. Even breathing can be dangerous to movement. This just is going to take time and patience for those new to this stuff. Practice but your still going to have misses and even the best at it will miss sometimes. There is not much you can do with a bouncy person your trying to shoot in low light. Except damn good timing

Imants, Guy, David - this has actually become very interesting. Reflecting on things it might even be the lens rather than me... the image below was taken with the 135 apo - handheld, 1/90th .. OK it's 1250 and in low indoor light, but it's useable for the documentation I was doing.

The following indoors at 10 Downing Street with a 5D2 and an old Canon 28-70 f2.8 L. 1/60th with the lens at 70mm (some fill flash). It's sharp enough to pick up Gordon's dry skin (a man under pressure). This is what I hope for from a medium telephoto lens, and it was taken with the "lock the exposure / focus / re-frame" approach which I know I shouldn't do...Maybe it's just that the me and manual focus on a medium telephoto RF system have a problem... or maybe it's just my 75. Or maybe I'm expecting too much from low-light shooting with the M8. So many variables! Heigh ho..

Or maybe it's the fact that it's a grey day in London and I've got a backlog of filing I should be doing -- but it's more fun doing some pixel peeping. Back to the filing (a glass of wine later in the day is going to make sense...)

Thanks again for the discussion. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Honestly with the M8 or even just RF with long lenses, it really is hit or miss a lot of times. Just hitting the shutter down can cause movement . I am pretty good at this stuff and seriously I had my share of misses with the M8. I just overshoot when i get long a lot of times. There is a lot of variables and any one of them can get you and focusing is a big culprit. I don't want to discourage folks but overshoot some there is bound to be some misses. Any aid you can use be it monopod , 1.25 magnifier, breathing techniques and even bracket focusing take advantage of them or as Imants pointed out regroup. Nothing wrong with it and i think folks expectations are high when there hobbyists and just do not get enough practice in and we hear the complaints. Trust me it happens to the best of Pro's. RF certainly is a wonderful way of shooting and i did enjoy it a great deal but this is not AF land and you have to pay attention. I mean these comments in general also and not directed at you Chris. The bottom line folks you have to work at it. The M8 is a working man's/womans camera. There is no love from the camera trying to save your bacon.

There is no love from the camera trying to save your bacon.

True, true. Love it at from 50 and lower - above, and especially wide open, it's not always the best tool.

AND - there is this pixel peeping nonsense I know I can spend too much time on. If it's going to be a 10x8 then most of the shots I get from the longer lenses are going to be fine.

I bet Korda didn't pixel peep his Che shot ... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Heroico1.jpg

Best

And I bet he didn't worry too much about front focus - but it looks as if that's what I've got - but with the 75 on one body only. My question to my wiser colleagues is what to do. 75 focuses fine on my M8u - but I consistently fail to focus it on the M8.2. 35 cron tests OK on both bodies (didn't test the 50 lux as it only focuses to 1 metre and it got a bit tedious trying to get the 45 degrees sorted...

QUESTION - which bits does Leica need to look at?

The M8.2 body (rangefinder check)?

The 75 cron only?

Both?

My feeling is it should be the M8.2 body. As it's under passport might as well get it done. Tedious as I've just sent in a 28 cron with a loose front barrel.

Advice gratefully received. Examples below:

Yep... When others have sent bodies in for adjustment, what evidence have they sent? I assume that the shots done here will be adequate (tripod / fixed position for the test sheet). Is anyone able to explain why a lens should be OK on one body and off on another (especially when that body seems OK with other long lenses) ... Would those with experience in this issue suggest I try the same test with 50 / 90 / 135?? or will the test rig that Leica has be sufficient? I certainly don't want to go in the direction that some Noctilux users have taken where they've dedicated a body to a specific lens. A step too far for me!

And I bet he didn't worry too much about front focus - but it looks as if that's what I've got - but with the 75 on one body only. My question to my wiser colleagues is what to do. 75 focuses fine on my M8u - but I consistently fail to focus it on the M8.2. 35 cron tests OK on both bodies (didn't test the 50 lux as it only focuses to 1 metre and it got a bit tedious trying to get the 45 degrees sorted...

QUESTION - which bits does Leica need to look at?

The M8.2 body (rangefinder check)?

The 75 cron only?

Both?

My feeling is it should be the M8.2 body. As it's under passport might as well get it done. Tedious as I've just sent in a 28 cron with a loose front barrel.

Advice gratefully received. Examples below:

Chris, you know how to focus. It's the lens/body combo and the fact that the lens behaves differently on two bodies is exactly why in the end I decided to find just one body whose lens/body behavior I understood with my glass. I saw a very well-priced 35 cron at Focus on Tuesday and as I reached for my wallet, the words Hope and Experience came to mind.

The wallet stayed where it was...

t

This lens is phenominal. @ 640

Any body guess which one ?

I noticed in more than one post (pictures) some less than full bottles of wine, I guess we users are a merry bunch(myself included). So I see that a few of us live by this quote (especially when it comes to some of the M8 problems) " I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy". Cheers, Russell

I noticed in more than one post (pictures) some less than full bottles of wine, I guess we users are a merry bunch(myself included). So I see that a few of us live by this quote (especially when it comes to some of the M8 problems) " I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy". Cheers, Russell

I'll drink to that ... :)

re Grain at 640 - I think it's also possible that the way that the JPEG was rendered might not have helped ... In the spirit of this thread (which started off with comparison and pixel peeping, compare the shot below (28 summicron asph) with the 5D 800 ISO shot below (70-200 + x1.4 extender). I'm OK with noise from the M8 at 640. I may complain about some things - but here it works.

Best