Sign in to follow this  
chris_tribble

Oh well, why not?

Guest stnami
Mummy told you about mentioning bat shit in public...
Then you better do as your mummy tells you as I have never met her.........

Guest noah_addis

Any similar experiences?

Sort of.

I was never very happy with my newspaper-issued Canon glass on the 5d or 1d series bodies. My main lens, the 24/1.4 (first version), had lots of CA and wasn't all that great really. Some of the zooms were horrible, at least wide open and especially with the full-frame cameras.

For my DSLR work now I'm using a D700 (Just ordered a second one, in fact) with zeiss glass along with a Nikon 180/2.8D and 300/2.8 AIS.

I just pulled some 40x30in prints from both the M8 with 28 'cron and D700 with 28/2ZF and 50/1.4ZF. I wanted the M8 to be better in terms of sharpness and tonality. But the truth is the D700 prints were equal or better. And they were shot at 800 instead of 320.

And in case I haven't already angered enough people on here:eek:, I was really blown away by how good the large digital prints from both cameras look compared to large prints from film.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hell I would have drank the whole bottle after seeing that CA in that canon lens. That is really bad. I would be more pissed than amused.

Noah, that sounds about right for the D700. It is a fantastic high ISO camera. Keep the M8 at its base ISO and they both look real nice. Color should be fine with the M8 or you aren't getting everything out of it in PP that is possible or you are shooting jpeg.

Guy, if you bring some wine over to my house you can test my 5DII and M8. Rule is: One bottle per lens test. I bet the tests start to look pretty bad at about the third bottle,,, I mean third lens.

I think Sean might do some of his testing this way. I'm pretty sure he has a booze bottle in his test target as well (and it always looks a little different each test shot, if you know what I mean..

)

Guest guy_mancuso
Noah, that sounds about right for the D700. It is a fantastic high ISO camera. Keep the M8 at its base ISO and they both look real nice. Color should be fine with the M8 or you aren't getting everything out of it in PP that is possible or you are shooting jpeg.

Guy, if you bring some wine over to my house you can test my 5DII and M8. Rule is: One bottle per lens test. I bet the tests start to look pretty bad at about the third bottle,,, I mean third lens.

I think Sean might do some of his testing this way. I'm pretty sure he has a booze bottle in his test target as well (and it always looks a little different each test shot, if you know what I mean..

)

LOL . Testing is so boring it is the only way to go. LOL

What the kicker is though and not to go to far OT is i had a lot of Canon gear and was never truly happy until one day I looked in my bag and had 8 leica lenses and one Canon lens for the Canon bodies. Certainly something was wrong with that one and i bought the DMR and never looked back and never will. The pisser is you spend good money and some things don't work in your favor in this case I would be throwing that lens at someone. Not that Leica is without there issues nor my new Phase system but nothing that bad. Need to just pick the best poison.

Guy, I'm certainly not as experienced as you and Sean but, I'm trying to learn from you guys all of the time. I feel that this thread has revealed one of those secrets to me that are rarely ever spoken, one of the gentleman's secrets, so to speak... and I thank you.

From now on: I will ALWAYS include a bottle of booze in the assortment of fruit and small toys and old watch faces that make up my lens test target. I get it and I thank you.

Now, I must go test 28 cron....

My instinct would be the Leica lens was responsible for the second set; the Leica sensor was responsible for the second set.

The Leica lens would not allow the purple slop-over. The sensor would produce more "grain," than Canon, correctible by noise ninja, as demonstrated.

Chris

While it's clear that the 85 1.2L is more prone to purple fringing (Purple fringing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

than most fast lenses the lack of sharpness displayed in your test sample is far from representative

of what the 85 can do.

In my opinion, your Canon crop clearly shows that the focus is behind the microwave as one can

make out texture in the grout between the tiles on the back wall while there is nothing really in

sharp focus more than a few inches in front of the wall.

Mark

Mark Tomalty

Quote: In my opinion, your Canon crop clearly shows that the focus is behind the microwave as one can

make out texture in the grout between the tiles on the back wall while there is nothing really in

sharp focus more than a few inches in front of the wall. - mtomalty

I was just waiting for someone to point that out.

Ok, time to line up some wine bottles on top of the old microwave (focus target) and try shooting it all over again. Jeez, this technical lens testing stuff is a lot harder than I expected. But, I say keep lining up the wine bottles 'till you get it right.

Edited by Rick

Well purple fringing or not, I really miss the Canon 85L. It's a fantastic lens for portraits, there is just something about it that floats my boat. Alas it's a distant memory now, replaced by fantastic Leica lenses which don't seem to have the purple fringing. Kind of hard to nitpick perfection.

Looks like my kitchen - I'll take a picture tonight - if I forget can somebody remind me.

How many of us play with our cameras once the cooking/ drinking thing has started and we are waiting during the process!

I have loads of (test) snaps of writing on packets/ bottles at different apertures, shutter speeds, iso settings...

Just pleased that I am not the only one...

GUY

PS The claret bottle has a stopper in it. My Clouseau tendancies would then assume that taking the time into consideration that was last nights bottle!

Quote: In my opinion, your Canon crop clearly shows that the focus is behind the microwave as one can

sharp focus more than a few inches in front of the wall. - mtomalty

I was just waiting for someone to point that out.

Ok, time to line up some wine bottles on top of the old microwave (focus target) and try shooting it all over again. Jeez, this technical lens testing stuff is a lot harder than I expected. But, I say keep lining up the wine bottles 'till you get it right.

Empty bottles are better to focus on

Guest guy_mancuso
Well purple fringing or not, I really miss the Canon 85L. It's a fantastic lens for portraits, there is just something about it that floats my boat. Alas it's a distant memory now, replaced by fantastic Leica lenses which don't seem to have the purple fringing. Kind of hard to nitpick perfection.

And the interesting thing is that 80 R lux or even the 75M lux that we all love does not do that and was made before some of us where born. Go figure

I'm excluded on that one but you get my point.

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, I'm certainly not as experienced as you and Sean but, I'm trying to learn from you guys all of the time. I feel that this thread has revealed one of those secrets to me that are rarely ever spoken, one of the gentleman's secrets, so to speak... and I thank you.

From now on: I will ALWAYS include a bottle of booze in the assortment of fruit and small toys and old watch faces that make up my lens test target. I get it and I thank you.

Now, I must go test 28 cron....

My favorite Leica M lens. BTW it does have a slight touch of CA but you have to look for it.

Oh well - that passed the time for a few of us didn't it?! Completely agree about the crap photos and the futility of comparisons - not buyer's regret though. What was good for me to see was a situation where the lens which has been an all time favourite (the Canon 85 1.2) hit limits AND the reminder that longer lenses can be pretty good on the M8. What it also made me do was only take Ms on a shoot I was doing today (part of a long term documentation of a community arts project supported by King's Place in London). I spent most of the morning working with 21 Elmarit pre-asph + 75 cron asph.

Lessons?

1/ Auto focus makes it easier to grab some shots - but the 75 stood up fine - and it felt good to work with it rather than avoiding using it

2/ the smaller kit attracted less attention and made it easier to start working more quickly (ok I know this, but it was good to be reminded)

3/ I'm still glad I've got both set-ups, but, strange as it may seem, seeing the limitation of the Canon made me feel more confident using the Leica for a critical shoot...

Examples below. The client is pleased - so am I.

Sharpness is usually overplayed in these photography forums but none of these shots appear to have the focus where I'd expect it to be. Touch of backfocus or 'focus and recompose' issues?

Sharpness is usually overplayed in these photography forums but none of these shots appear to have the focus where I'd expect it to be. Touch of backfocus or 'focus and recompose' issues?

I learned something that is probably obvious to everyone else. Compose... focus/shoot. I think I compose, then I focus and then I drift around while I decide to shoot. I'm going to try to start making the focus continuous with the shoot step when shooting stuff that is moving.

Thanks.

Guest guy_mancuso

Learn to have the shot in your head before you even raise the camera to your eye. Than you know you finally jumped a huge hurdle in photography.