michali

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My vote is for the 35 ASPH Summicron. Although the Summarit with the current rebate is a great buy. The Summicron is hands down the best performer. You can't go wrong with either.

Rafael

I have to agree with Rafael, Mike. I have that lens and a friend agrees that it's better than his Summarit.

Pete.

I have to agree with Rafael, Mike. I have that lens and a friend agrees that it's better than his Summarit.

Pete.

"Better" is a very confusing term when it comes to lenses ... although even Erwin Puts considers the Summarit better than the asph cron in some respects.

I prefer the summarit to my asph cron .....which i sold after getting the summarit......;)

I do not care which lens is better..... but i prefer the creamier files of the summarit ... especially for B&W.

For sharpness, contrast and speed, 35 Cron ASPH. For sharpness and boke, but less speed, 35 Summarit. For a bit less sharpness and contrast, but nice boke at around f/4, the 35 Cron IV.

Agree......this is very much my experience with all 3 lenses.

Just want to add .... there is a point where more sharpness is not very important anymore and other criteria come in to play..... all 3 lenses are plenty sharp with the M8!

Contrast can be a blessing or a curse ....... depending or where you live/shoot ...

My vote is for the 35 ASPH Summicron. Although the Summarit with the current rebate is a great buy. The Summicron is hands down the best performer. You can't go wrong with either.

Rafael

In my experience, the only difference in performance between these two lenses is that the Summarit is flare free. This makes for a much more compact package since it can be used without a hood. The Summicron, is of course, half a stop faster. However, if speed is a priority I would go for the much faster Summilux (ASPH).

You cannot go wrong with the 35 Cron ASPH as many have recommended, I find mine near perfect for a modern lens.

I am currently testing a 35 Summilux pre-ASPH, for a very different 'vintage' look. When stopped down (f:2.8 or more) the Lux is a very good performer, opened to f:2.0 or 1.4 the look is very different to what can be obtained with today's ASPH designs.

I think a compliment of 35 Cron ASPH and Lux pre-ASPH can provide an excellent range of 'looks'.

I've had (almost) every "modern" 35mm lense by Leica, and CV recently.

If I had to choose, my vote would be over th 35lux ASPH without any doubt.

If money is an issue, a used 35cron IV would be my second choice.

BTW I personally had/have the luck to use/have some 35lux ASPH, 35cron ASPH, 35cron IV, 35summarit, 35nokton f1.2, 35 nokton f1.4, 35lux pre-asph and some who i just can't remember.

My list (considering speed/weight/dimensions/performances/colours/bokeh) would be the following:

35 lux ASPH

35 cron pre-ASPH IV

35 nokton 1.2

35 cron ASPH

35 summarit

35 lux pre-ASPH

35 nokton f1.4

obviously, this list is lead by my personal taste too! ;)

ciao

If the budget permits, get the 35mm Summicron ASPH. I have owned all the Leica 35mm M lenses for the 1950's lenses to the Summilux ASPH, with the exception of the new Summarit. The 35mm Summicron ASPH is by far the better lens of the bunch.

There was a 35mm CV lens That Sean Reid reviewed that was pretty close, but I think it was a f3.5 lens and of course not coded.

Robert

Hi Rob,

That was the CV 35/2.5.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks everyone for the feedback and taking the time to respond, it's really appreciated! I'm now more confused than when I started this thread :confused:.......... just kidding :D

It appears to me that the Zeiss isn't an option and neither is the CV, I'm concerned about the hassle of coding these lenses. Mainly shipping them back and forth and I've always had endless hassles with customs each time I've sent gear outside the country for repairs etc. it's not worth the aggravation.

I failed to mention that I've got a Tri Elmar 28-35-50, which is one of my main travel lenses, but feel I need a more compact lens when wanting to use the 35mm focal length. I also have a 1954 Leitz 35mm f3.5 Summaron that's been in pristine condition up to now but has recently started showing signs of fogging.

So after all the feedback it looks like it's now down to the 35mm f2.0 Summicron or the 35mm Summarit f2.5.

Thanks again.

The CV 35/2.5 (LTM mount) doesn't need to be sent anywhere for coding if one uses it with a Milich LT-M8 adapter.

Cheers,

Sean

Unless I missed it, not a single vote for the current 35 lux asph! Well, I'll be the first. It's my only 35, so no personal experience to compare, but it's an outstanding lens for both my M8 and film cameras. I have not experienced focus shift that effects any images I have taken with it. I believe Sean Reid regards this as the best 35 lens as well. best....Peter