Fat Beats

roguewave

Thanks all for your comments.

Ben,

I really like the way you walk around and pick up the lines and colors of everyday life. I guess people get to know your presence and don't mind too much about you taking photo's.

Nice work! Marco

Marco, I indeed "walked around" this guy for a few moments. He appeared from out of the stairs onto the street & I guess he was waiting for someone/something. As is often the case in NYC, people are always vigilant & "checking you out". Just natural survival skills. I didn't engage him verbally, but I usually do. He was nervous and I liked the edge which I tried to capture. Truth be told, most people in my hood know me because I'm on the streets everyday or evening with my cameras & I'm just part of the circus, not an attraction or oddity. All the advice that I have gotten from world-class photo-journalists in NYC, is to be direct, engaged, straight forward & part of the milieu, not someone that is "capturing or taking" something of or from the environment, but someone in the pond swimming with the subjects.

Ben,

I absolutely agree with your way of wandering around and being part of what's going on. Not a consumer, but somebody who adds to the everyday life.

About asking if it's OK to take a photo: in China I couldn't ask verbally, but found that holding up your camera and smiling a question mark did wonders.

Marco