Re-starting the hobby - at the wrong end

alw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I´m slowly but steadily moving back to film after selling my Canon gear. The progression so far:

1. bought a Leica UV filter

2. bought Tri-X & Agfapan

3. bought 90mm Elmarit

4. bought 28mm Voightländer

5. receiving an M6 + 50mm Summicron from forum member (echorec) this week.

Now I´ve been offered a second M6 at a very good price. Don´t know if I can resist...:D

Is the second M6 priced at 65% of market price or below? If so, you will not likely lose money if you resell it. I think you have a good kit, and can remain pleasantly engaged for many months or years without a second body.

Then again, is the second M6 shiney-pretty? Do you visualize yourself holding it, saying, "my precious, my precious" (with apologies to Tolkein).

Enjoy!

Is the 2nd M6 different in any regard, notably view finder magnification? That could be a reason.

I understand the theoretical advantages of 2 cameras - different film, less lens changes, back up but generally find I only ever venture out with one camera. I like the idea of taking two but seldom actually do it.

M

Get the second M6 and a 35 Summicron too.

Argh, you don´t know how much pain this causes me! :D

Might get the second body but I just know I won´t be using a 35mm if I have a 28mm. Mostly I will make do with a 50mm.

Two suggestions...

Get a 50mm Elmar-M - this transforms your M6 into a "compact camera" - this setup fits into a (coat) pocket, or a small belt pouch.

For a 35, find a CV 35mm 2.5 Pancake I. This is a super performer and exceptionally well balanced on the M. Don't get the later M-mount version - handling is quite different, and the bayonet hood makes it more bulky. I sold my 4th version Summicron because I was not a big 35mm user and bought one of these lenses when they first came out. After a while I "upgraded" to the M-mount version and hated it, and scoured the country for a NOS first version again.

And of course, when, in due course, the Barnack bug bites, you will have an LTM lens to get you started... :D:D:D:D

Do it. You won't regret it.

Regards,

Bill

A difficult choice, indeed.

The M4 is considered by some to be the high point of classic M's, before the dark years of the 1970's. It is the last to provide a mechanical self timer, if that matters. You would not have a meter, but still have your eyes and brain that you can use. The only major detraction is that it is at least 36 years old, and if you need to have any repairs, you'll invest several hundred more euros.

The M6 you already know. As our respected colleague brought up, maybe it would be worth waiting for an M6/0.85 or one of the M6/TTL's to add new functionality to the mix, just remember the shutter speed dial direction issue if you mix M6 and M6TTLs.

I was considering pruning the litter here. Purely in my opinion, the M6, M7, and MP are far more usable than the pre M6 cameras. My reason for acquiring the other models has been to experience the older technologies and techniques, and to put together a kit for retirement while the prices are good and the income is still flowing. Another factor for some recent acquisitions is to have a knock-around kit, which now includes an M2, 35/3.5, 50/3.5, and 90/4.0, and a MR-2 meter, all for less than 1000 euros. This knock-around kit lets me shoot without concern for the value or my ability to replace the items. I don't know if any of these motives apply in your case, but maybe they will help to rationalize your decisions.

So, what does the doctor recommend? Take two (rolls) and see how you feel in the morning.

Why do you think repairing an M4 costs several hundred euros? I´m under the impression that basic maintenance costs about 100 euros. And this example has recently been checked. :)

But I´m leaning towards the M6 since it has the meter, although I´m quite used to operating without one.

Btw. I´ve ordered the magnifying piece so I can live with a 0.72.

I´m now definitely getting a second body. The question:

Should I get an identical M6 OR a silver M4 which has been offered at 650€?

I have a Snap-on ratchet wrench - expensive, beautifully made, and will last my lifetime.....should I buy another - exactly the same?....for goodness sake! - we are talking

about tools here! :rolleyes: