SL2 Viewfinder

masjah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A good friend of mine who is a Leica R user has just got himself a nice SL2 (for old time's sake!). So, believe it or not, for the first time, I had the opportunity to hold an SL2 in my hands.

I've looked through the viewfinder, and now I know what all the fuss is about. Isn't it remarkable? What struck me was not just the brightness, or how the image snapped into focus, but also the sheer size of the image compared with my R8/R9s.

What a wonderful achievment, and how it must have totally blown away the competition in its day.

Actually, just holding the camera, with its tank-like solidity, was a real joy - I thought to myself "This is the real Leitz".

My favorite finder as well,,,,,,I also enjoyed the SL. If I recall correctly, didn't the SL and SL2 have a 'condenser style' focusing screen? Whereas the 'R' series had the flat, interchangeable type, and are plastic, not glass as in the SL and SL2 series. Too, I think the magnification changed.

I immediately noticed the difference with the R series, and thought, 'this just isn't the same, why did they do that?' (I guessed cost and the Minolta partnership) We can only hope that the R10 will bring back that viewing pleasure - it was so nice composing with the older finders.

Yes, the SL2 is my working camera for analog pictures....still the best!

The bright viewfinder is made with the prisma. This is not flat it has this form like a "condensor"...expensive to make!..but great!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

regards,

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How does the SL vf compare to the SL2?

Different apparent viewing distance, no aperture scale in the SL viewfinder, standard SL screen is all-microprism instead of the SL2's microprism-plus-split-image, otherwise equally brilliant.

The SL's apparent viewing distance is easier on older eyes. I've got the SL's microprism screen in my SL2, and a +0.5 diopter correction lens to adjust the apparent viewing distance.

Peter, I use the area surrounding the coarse microprisms with the slower lenses, which is actually extremely fine microprisms. The SL and SL2 are very quick and easy to focus with the f/6.8 lenses combined with the 1.4x APO-Extender where with the R8 and plain matte DMR viewscreen I have to hunt a bit for optimum focus. The split prism is useless at these apertures.

Guest rweisz

What a wonderful achievment, and how it must have totally blown away the competition in its day.

Talking about the viewfinder? Maybe. The meter was also amazing for its day, narrow spot and very sensitive. But talking about the camera in terms of success? It wasn't even a blip on Nikon's radar. The SL2 was hell expensive as were the lenses and didn't have the broad system accessories or support infrastructure (at least in the US) for pro's.

Talking about the viewfinder? Maybe. The meter was also amazing for its day, narrow spot and very sensitive. But talking about the camera in terms of success? It wasn't even a blip on Nikon's radar. The SL2 was hell expensive as were the lenses and didn't have the broad system accessories or support infrastructure (at least in the US) for pro's.

It's worth noting that the title of the thread is "SL2 Viewfinder" and all the previous posts have been on topic.

Steve

no aperture scale in the SL viewfinder, standard SL screen is all-microprism instead of the SL2's microprism-plus-split-image,

That I guess I actually "knew" (at some point)...but this:

otherwise equally brilliant.

was the real question, so thanks for the answer, and in the bargain you gave me this jewel:

The SL's apparent viewing distance is easier on older eyes. I've got the SL's microprism screen in my SL2, and a +0.5 diopter correction lens to adjust the apparent viewing distance.

which I'm sure I never knew! That's an interesting and very relevant consideration - thanks, Doug!!!

It's surely in this sort of area that Leica has the chance to outshine the competition - a no-holes-barred, cost-no-object viewing system. I had hoped the same for the M8 but it wasn't to be.

I tend to agree with Mark here. As a maker of low volume, high end products with a history of optical excellence, a superb viewfinder ought to be a strand of their DNA.

Steve

Guest rweisz
It's worth noting that the title of the thread is "SL2 Viewfinder" and all the previous posts have been on topic.

Steve

Well now that yours makes two off-topic posts I don't feel so lonely :D