Leica S2 vs Leica S(006) / S-E(006) focusing speed and accuracy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All

I am considering acquiring an S2 or S(006) for professional studio / fashion / portrait work for static or some slowly moving subjects.

I am aware of the slower working speed, but I love the special S CCD look (thank you for not recommending getting other camera brands :))

I am interested in knowing whether the change in 1) focusing speed and 2) focusing accuracy between the two camera models is really so significant.

I would appreciate to hear your experience.

Kind regards, 

Cristian 

The key thing is to get a body with a new (replaced) sensor. I don't think you'll see much difference between the two bodies at low ISO. The S2 is older and slightly slower to operate, but that wouldn't be critical in a studio environment. You'll also want to make sure that the either camera comes with the original USB and flash cables if you want to tether or use studio flash.

• Like 1

I could not tell any meaningful difference in image quality between the S2 and S006, and I used them intensively. I do not recall much of a difference in focusing speed either, though it has been years. In general, however, I think the upgrades from the S2 to S006 were very useful. It has a more modern interface and a better screen, and overall it is just a great camera. Zooming in and moving around a photo is very tedious on the S2, and the edition of the moveable AF on button made a big difference in that sense. The S2, however, is capable of just as good photos.

I think to remember the S006 to have a small advantage regarding noise behavior. Maybe like going from 400 ISO usable to 800 ISO.

They also said many small body improvements to make it more stable/reliable.

And I think it also go the SD card slot.

14 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

The S2 has one, but CF was the preferred media.  I think the S(007) was the first S body to use the SD card in preference?

john

Indeed. I have both, and things did switch around from the 6 to the 7. Took my by surprise at first.